Wing Chun vs MMA: Why Not?

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
He makes a few fair points but this is more of an anti MMA bitchfest than anything. Other striking arts have succeeded in MMA and so have a few WC guys. I posit that WC just needs more time to adapt to the MMA environment or any competitive environment for that matter. A good starting point would be to create an amateur sport environment with rules that did favor WC. After WC adapts to a rulset tailored for the art to flourish it could be better adapted to MMA, just a thought. I think one thing that holds WC back are its staunch advocates who claim it can't be used in sport because it's too deadly. Any WC guys that attempt to spar are criticized by the WC community. Rather than outperform the guys they criticize they hide behind philosophy and theory. WC could be great, a lot of the sparring we see looks like crappy boxing, some actually looks solid, but it takes generations to develop an art. This should be understood and encouraged.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
HA, HA--SOUNDS LIKE ME ON A BAD DAY.
|
IMO, WC would clean up in MMA, if the practitioner was really a bona-fide WC practitioner....
|
While the vid author's analysis holds weight, I feel he misses the larger issues of competency in your style. Is it the construction of the Octagon that caused Machida's strikes to have no significant impact against Rockhold in Fox 15--Round #1?. Or was it Machida's failure to call upon full body strength when striking the way traditional Shotokan mandates...?
|
People love to talk about the sports-view of whether the Octagon or Ring is rounded or square, and how this can be used against an opponent. Big Deal. Machida's Shotokan Ippon Kumite, it's structure has nothing to do with Octagons, pentagon's, squares or circles. It's about the capability to win an exchange against your opponent with movement standing still to transitioning in any direction.
|
The vid author clearly is a researcher-minded individual, yet cataloging up discrepancies or disadvantages as to why a traditional martial art is going to fail, be at a significant disadvantage is missing the boat. Are you competent in your style? Have you selected a strong style to compete with the type of competitors found in MMA? Overriding key questions....
|
I do agree the Gracie's were over-rated, but saying that no one early in the UFC had the opportunity to become as skilled in a chosen art like Royce Gracie is where researchers go off the deep end with rhetorical suppositions....
|
Rockhold didn't have any trouble clubbing Machida to a knockdown....that signaled the end for Machida in that fight. Vid author needs to broaden the assumptions under all the verbage of analysis.... Do a little reality-testing himself....

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So he says Mma people use vertical fist wing Chun punch to effect. But a wing chun guy is at a disadvantage because the thickness of the mats nullify the wing chun punch.

And had the gall to bother using science.

Latest Discussions