Picking yourself back up

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya know, I recently had a talk with my Grandmaster and I think his answer applies here. I'm a high blue belt in Tang Soo Do and there are people in much lower ranks better than me. Especially in sparring! BUT.... I recently asked Kwan Ja Nim if my daughter and I could try out for the tournament team. I said I know we have a lot to improve on. But he said "Don't ever compare yourself to someone else. Do your personal best, but above all else have fun. Comparing yourself to others makes you dismiss the personal growth you've made, so do the best you can at that time and forget everyone else that's there. Pretend it's only you and me!" So pick yourself up by doing YOUR personal best and only compare yourself to yourself, ya know?

Yeah I like that. Some nice advice given over there.

OP
Dinkydoo

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can, if my opponents punches are sloppy. Trying to lock up your sparring partner's arms when he has really crisp punches is another thing entirely though. I haven't seen anyone do that before - in video or 'real life'.
Sorry, if you meant clinching KF Wang, yea I could do that and getting the clinch timing is something I need to work more on too.

OP
Dinkydoo

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score

ok on the bag or shadow whatever. Get your angles going.
I like it.

The other answers are good - regarding mindset...etc - but this gives me something tangible to incorporate into my training next week. Thanks.

Improving my footwork is something I'd already identified as an area I should be focussing on; this will be a good reference.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One way to approach the situation is to watch those people who rocked you.....when they're sparring others of greater skill, or others who just beat them for one reason or another.

You'll likely see that they're beaten/checked/countered/frustrated/whatever by different things. Take notes and get some work in. You'll be just fine. Especially if you have fun with the process. :)

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread, I was going to comment as Buka did, they have capitalize on your weaknesses, and you are looking now to close the gap, good work. But you can now look to find their weaknesses and gaps, and use or improve on your strengths.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got rocked pretty hard in sparring last night, backside handed to me in several bouts of sparring by people who have been training for a shorter length of time than me because they have really good fundamental boxing skills, and I started reverting back to some of the bad habits I've picked up through practicing styles with no sparring for years.

I need to tighten my guard - black eye is indicative of that - keep my head facing my opponent whilst the punches are raining down, sharpen my fundamental boxing arsenal as a priority, throw better combinations and not stop/reset after throwing three or four strikes. I dont usually train on a Saturday morning but I'm putting in an hour on the bag after breakfast.

What do you say to yourself to help pick yourself back up after a particularly poor session where you A know you should have done better and B felt like you'd went backwards a bit in terms of progress?

I usually go with "I learned a lot tonight, there's much i need to improve on" - and the next day I get right back on it but I'm finding it pretty hard to find the motivation this morning.

As martial artists we must deal with this sort of demotivation at times throughout our training, I'm interested to know how everyone deals with it.

Yup, this has happened, and still does happen to me. It sucks. Sometimes, you just have an off day, and when that I happens, I find myself getting frustrated. But that's all part of learning and eventually, making yourself better, as a martial artist. Just a few weeks ago, I was in class, working on a drill, and was having a hell of a time getting it down. I was getting pissed off, because not only was I having issues, I was hurting my hand in the process. After talking about this with my partner, my teacher, as well as one of my training partners, outside of class, I was able to figure things out a bit better.

But yeah, it sucks. Keep plugging along and hopefully in time, you'll get better. That's what I tell myself anyway. :)

OP
Dinkydoo

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm working in angles to my footwork when doing any shadow or bagwork at home now - whereas before I'd only really circle or work straight lines. I felt I had a much better session on Monday, albeit sparring with less intensity so i'm fairly positive right now.

I've had setbacks before that have really made me evaluate myself (havent we all) but last week felt like a massive step backwards, mainly because I'd reverted back into old habits - maybe the Christmas break had something to do with it. Anyway, I'm feeling a bit sharper now and the responses here have helped reinforce that these things do happen to pretty much everyone and that looking at your own performance objectively whilst thinking about a way forward, is a good way to deal with it.

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ya know, I recently had a talk with my Grandmaster and I think his answer applies here. I'm a high blue belt in Tang Soo Do and there are people in much lower ranks better than me. Especially in sparring! BUT.... I recently asked Kwan Ja Nim if my daughter and I could try out for the tournament team. I said I know we have a lot to improve on. But he said "Don't ever compare yourself to someone else. Do your personal best, but above all else have fun. Comparing yourself to others makes you dismiss the personal growth you've made, so do the best you can at that time and forget everyone else that's there. Pretend it's only you and me!" So pick yourself up by doing YOUR personal best and only compare yourself to yourself, ya know?

This response sums it up well and a lot of the responses on this thread are solid. Attitude is just as important as hard work and technique and getting frustrated because you are slipping into old habits is understandable. I run into the same problem when I get tiered and loose my focus or when I am having a really bad day. It happens.....

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty lame as an answer, but good for you for finding a positive!

@thanson02 Could you please why you have disliked this post. You are disliking because I honestly said that my answer is lame? I think that is harsh. And to be honest, what have my personal deprecating thoughts got to do with you? Express an opinion, but back it up :)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
@thanson02 Could you please why you have disliked this post. You are disliking because I honestly said that my answer is lame? I think that is harsh. And to be honest, what have my personal deprecating thoughts got to do with you? Express an opinion, but back it up :)
Must dislike that you feel your answer is lame. :confused:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This response sums it up well and a lot of the responses on this thread are solid. Attitude is just as important as hard work and technique and getting frustrated because you are slipping into old habits is understandable. I run into the same problem when I get tiered and loose my focus or when I am having a really bad day. It happens.....

It is also worthwhile to mention that some fighting styles and body types will mess you up more than their actual technical ability. It becomes a paper,rock,scissors type of situation.

Competitive fighters spend part of their training dealing with the fighter. As well as everything else.

Now how this relates to being crap. You will come across these guys who are just goober and in theory you should manhandle them. There could even be guys you can beat who beat him. But for some reason they just frustrate you.

Latest Discussions