Phantom BJJ Website

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I put together a website for our school. I have a few things I still need to add, including a bio for our head instructor, a header graphic that I'm working on now and some social networking bugs. Other than, it's pretty much done. I tried to put it together in a way that will make updating content easy, including adding pictures and videos, changing the ads on the main page and that sort of thing.

I'd appreciate comments. I considered adding things like an FAQ, but that's maybe down the road when I get more time.

http://www.phantombjj.com

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice job!

A minor note, this paragraph confused me the first time I read it.
Phantom BJJ is a proud affiliate of Foster Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Kent, WA. Coach Bing Crook is a certified Brown Belt under James Foster and Lotus Club Jiu Jitsu, and is an active competitor at local and international tournaments.
Whether you are a beginner or advanced, completely new to martial arts, or you just want to have a fun hobby that keeps you in shape, Phantom BJJ offers a safe and friendly place to train and learn.
Phantom BJJ is the home of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Maple Valley, WA.

Personally I would switch the bolded text. Have the first line say where you are, not where you aren't...but that's just my opinion as a g33k :D

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Good suggestion, Carol. I put the entire site together in a day and a half, so the writing is sketchy. :) I'll take a look at that, and will probably just take out the Kent, WA part. Foster BJJ is in Kent, but we're in Maple Valley.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who is the man in picture one?? Is he for sale, please please pretty please!

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maple valley isn't too far away from me. Might have to pay you a visit.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Who is the man in picture one?? Is he for sale, please please pretty please!

Haha. That's bing, the owner. He's a brown belt who routinely hands me my ***. And a good friend.

Sent using Tapatalk. Please ignore typos.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
looks good man. Some day im going to learn something useful like that. On a side note is Bing his real name?

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yes. Bing Crook. He's a good guy.

Regarding the website, there is some stuff to know, but really, there are so many tools available now, it's not as onerous as it once was. If you have a plan, can do some writing and have a decent sense of color, it's pretty easy to build something reasonably professional.

Sent using Tapatalk. Please ignore typos.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it's a slick looking site. I like the color and how it's laid out. Good photos. I might make the print a shade darker, but I have old eyes.

Nicely done!

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Tried to make sure that the color scheme was high contrast. I can make it a little darker.

The default scheme was gray on gray...

Okay. Tweaked the site a little based on the suggestions. Reworded the blurb on the front page and increased the contrast on the font. Thanks a ton, guys. I appreciate the feedback.

Last edited:

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's better Steve. The improvements are subtle but it IS easier on the eyes.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Okay. Because I can't leave well enough alone, I spent some time and redesigned the website from the ground up. I'm going on vacation next week, but by the time I get back, we'll be in our own space. We're just waiting to move in, so I figured I'd really spend some time putting together a more durable website in honor of the move.

I still have more language to add to the instructors page, along with some glamour shots, and I'm still tweaking the typography a bit and plan to add a slider to the front page, but it's 95% there and I'm pretty darned happy with the look.

Our school owner is a big comic book fan. I'll give you three guesses who his favorite superhero is. :D

Once again, I genuinely appreciate the feedback you guys gave me and tried to incorporate most of it into this one. So, if you see anything glaring, or something's not working for you, let me know.

http://www.phantombjj.com

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just checked out and the site has a fresh/crisp look to it with the use of colours, I like it. I note you refer to Bing as "Bingo" in the instructor blurb on him, maybe that's his nick-name-o like the dog...

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just checked out and the site has a fresh/crisp look to it with the use of colours, I like it. I note you refer to Bing as "Bingo" in the instructor blurb on him, maybe that's his nick-name-o like the dog...
It is his nickname. He goes by Bingo much more often than Bing. Thanks for the comments. He's a big fan of Captain America, so the logo and color scheme were put together with a nod toward his personality and taste.

Latest Discussions