Have-a-go poet floors moped mugger with karate kicks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/stand...poet-floors-moped-mugger-with-karate-kicks.do
A 60-year-old poet karate-kicked a mugger to the ground as he tried to flee with a woman's handbag.

Neil Gevisser, who learned the martial art in his native South Africa, went into action after a heavily built young thug robbed a mother as she waited in her car to collect her child from school.

The robber smashed a window in the 4x4 with a stone, snatched the bag and sprinted away to a moped which he had left running when Mr Gevisser, alerted by the 40-year-old woman's screams, intervened.

Mr Gevisser aimed a karate kick at the moped, sending it spinning around and throwing the robber to the ground.

When the mugger leapt up and advanced towards him, Mr Gevisser, who is 5ft 8ins tall, kicked him in the stomach with a "karate roundhouse" and then in the shins. The robber ran off empty-handed, limping.

$NEIL-GEVISSER-415.jpg

Jason Striker II

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A we used to say in the old days, this guy had been taught "how to fight real good - and did".

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
yep, and I would only wish he had done more damage to the mugger jerk! oh say about 10 more kicks or a few punches to.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep, and I would only wish he had done more damage to the mugger jerk! oh say about 10 more kicks or a few punches to.

Perhaps but only reasonable force is legal, battering him when he was down would have been a tad OTT, still the humiliation in being stopped in this was by an 'old' guy will stay with him a long time lol!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps but only reasonable force is legal, battering him when he was down would have been a tad OTT, still the humiliation in being stopped in this was by an 'old' guy will stay with him a long time lol!

+ one for the "old" guy.
I don't know if I like the "old" guy part, but, it shows where there is a will, there is a "karate way"............ :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+ one for the "old" guy.
I don't know if I like the "old" guy part, but, it shows where there is a will, there is a "karate way"............ :)

I did put old in inverted commos lol, we have a 15 year old girl who trains with us, she used to do Judo where she lived before, she said it was a bit frustrating because the old men didn't like being thrown, on having a look at where she trained I saw the 'old' men were in their thirties and forties...oh dear!

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
lol well when your 14 or 15 that may seem old... but remember, age and treachery beat youth and skill! also mad dog mean helps!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did put old in inverted commos lol, we have a 15 year old girl who trains with us, she used to do Judo where she lived before, she said it was a bit frustrating because the old men didn't like being thrown, on having a look at where she trained I saw the 'old' men were in their thirties and forties...oh dear!

Now thats funny...........I think!

I think back about what I thought about my mom and dad when I was a teen, and they were always OLD. Now I think about my age now, boy was I wrong. Life is crazy.................:)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you have the expression 'there's life in the old dog yet" but the OP certainly proves it ( and I don't think 60 is old, that's me next year!)

Latest Discussions