Ph.D. program!?

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am a strong user of LinkedIn, which is a business "network" of connections. (It has actually helped build my non-martial arts businesses in the past.

I had a person connect with me today that had Dr. attached to his name, and his business history was martial arts related or security (retail) related. So, I went to his profile to see what was there. He had a Ph.D. in University of Asian "Martial Arts Studies".

In tracking that down, as it sounded interesting to me, I found this site http://www.usnmat.net/UOAMAS.htm (I searched here, and found nothing on it, so I'm posting now.) In order to move forward with their program, you must be nominated to be a Inductee in their Hall of Fame, then you can proceed forward with writing a small (apparently) paper for review and "diploma".

I have two Ph.Ds. One in Business Administration, and one in Computer Science from the University of Texas, SA. These two degrees took time, a long dissertation process and a successful defense of the dissertation. It appears here they just read over your "life history" (for the most part, the list of "graduates" consists of a document that is from 20 to 80 pages long that is reviewed and approved (or disapproved)).

What is your take on this process?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well other than I can't find and address for the "University" and I doubt any possibility of accreditation so academically it is likely meaning less all I can say is ehh whatever

Xue Sheng Ph.D - from Xuefu Universal University of Xuefu

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
I delete that spam all the time. Not worth the paper it's not printed on.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all congratulations on your accomplishments in life. Secondly, it seems in life there is a path emerging that implies there is an easier way then the prescribed way to achieve. Sadly, if the roots get deeper, it will hasten the spiraling down that appears to be happening.

OP
dbell

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
First of all congratulations on your accomplishments in life. Secondly, it seems in life there is a path emerging that implies there is an easier way then the prescribed way to achieve. Sadly, if the roots get deeper, it will hasten the spiraling down that appears to be happening.

Thank you! (I didn't post about my Ph.D.s other than to say I know the process as it "was"...)

I would have to agree, and the roots are not all that deep, but the spiral down sure seems to be deep!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sound like nothing, I can give you a PH. D in ********
icon10.gif

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Having academic Ph.D's you will understand when I say this. If a legit university is not backing it then I am very skeptical of it. There some groups who claim they have backing from a university but recipients don't have any classroom or course work for the most part. Let's see why people would think it’s a fraud.

As far as names on the list I recognize a few but some of those few throw all sorts of red flags for me.

If there truly was a legitimate academic program on the martial arts I would pursue it but I have yet to find such a thing.

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what's the appeal of an academic program on martial arts? I mean, there's nothing stopping you from doing the research now, if that's the appeal. It's not like there are exclusive research libraries you can only access with an academic "in." And you don't need academic credentials to get a job 1) teaching or 2) fighting. So where's the advantage?

I know Radford University, in Virginia, has degree programs for martial arts. And the idea was appealing in my late teens (when I had my self-identity neatly tied up in this stuff). But I would feel that someone had really squandered a university education if they came out with a degree in martial arts.

Stuart

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If there truly was a legitimate academic program on the martial arts I would pursue it but I have yet to find such a thing.

It would probably be as part of a Phys Ed program, no? Get a Phd in Phys Ed, with your dissertation MA related.

All these places that "give" away undergrad and graduate degrees can devalue the real ones. When I use to be involved in hiring at my last last place of business, I would always google schools I had never heard of before or sound "odd".

OP
dbell

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what's the appeal of an academic program on martial arts? I mean, there's nothing stopping you from doing the research now, if that's the appeal. It's not like there are exclusive research libraries you can only access with an academic "in." And you don't need academic credentials to get a job 1) teaching or 2) fighting. So where's the advantage?

I know Radford University, in Virginia, has degree programs for martial arts. And the idea was appealing in my late teens (when I had my self-identity neatly tied up in this stuff). But I would feel that someone had really squandered a university education if they came out with a degree in martial arts.

Stuart

While I don't care about the paper Ph.D. aspect of it, or the Dr. in front of my name, I would be interested in the criteria behind the degree (my two Ph.D.s have actually hurt me in the job area, as it scares people away, thinking I want too much money, or that I am too academic, I don't need a third Ph.D. in anything, just the knowledge...). The information that would be part of the curriculum making the degree is what intrigues me.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unaccredited PhD programs and degree programs for "life experience" are all over the place.

Only thing they really do is make the HR departments work harder to determine if a candidare has a degree from an accredited school.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It would probably be as part of a Phys Ed program, no? Get a Phd in Phys Ed, with your dissertation MA related.
Or a history department, or anthropology, or exercise physiology (actually I know of someone who has done this and written academically about Taijiquan), or a number of other fields. Academics choose their specialties, you can go into whatever relevant field you want and choose an area of MA as your specific research field (MA in general is waaay to broad, but Indonesian martial arts, or Japanese koryu, or western historical fencing are not far fetched), nothing's stopping you.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Mark V. Wiley has researched, and trained in a number of Phillipine styles and has written a number of books on their methods and history without a relevant degree.

Don F. Draeger spent his life studying, training in, and writing about Japanese martial arts without a relevant degree and founded a field of study related to it, hoplology.

J. Lowell Lewis is a PhD (from the University of Washington) in Anthropology and Performance Studies and wrote the book 'Ring of Liberation', an antropological study of Capoeira.

Phillip Zarilli is a stage director and theater instructor that has studied and taught Kalaripayyatu extensively and wrote the book 'When The Body Becomes All Eyes', a studied of Kalaripayyatu theory and practice.

You don't need a graduate degree in MA to do the relevant work.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You don't need a graduate degree in MA to do the relevant work.

Yes you do... and for $400 I will grant a PhD from Xuefu Universal University of Xuefu on the Toilet paper of your choice... it will look real official and everything... for $1000 I will give you one on cardboard with custom calligraphy :D

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes you do... and for $400 I will grant a PhD from Xuefu Universal University of Xuefu on the Toilet paper of your choice... it will look real official and everything... for $1000 I will give you one on cardboard with custom calligraphy :D

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Real or imitation cardboard?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Official, university-issued martial arts degrees? I wouldn't put much faith in such things.

I understand, and support, the use of titles in a dojo that confer the system's equivalence of an advanced degree, such as using Renshi, Kyoshi, or Hanshi, since the requirements of such are style specific. For that matter, each school is free to choose its own, as long as they recognize that the "knowledge" title is valid in their own system, nowhere else.

Others from different systems may choose to call the holder of such a title as such, but that's entirely up to them.

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
While I don't care about the paper Ph.D. aspect of it, or the Dr. in front of my name, I would be interested in the criteria behind the degree (my two Ph.D.s have actually hurt me in the job area, as it scares people away, thinking I want too much money, or that I am too academic, I don't need a third Ph.D. in anything, just the knowledge...). The information that would be part of the curriculum making the degree is what intrigues me.

I didn't think you were. After all, you already rightly have "Dr." in front of your name. If you're so inclined. But it still seems to me that you already have access to the information that would make up the curriculum. As is likely the case with many degree programs. I could have read The Grapes of Wrath without getting an English degree too.

To my mind, I'd have to be thoroughly convinced that the classroom experience with a particular teacher or set of teachers was going to be so powerful as to make it worth doing. And, in an academic classroom, I'm having a hard time imagining that.

But to each his own. Not trying to talk you out of it. Doubt there was much danger of that, even if I were. :)

Latest Discussions