The Teacher/Student Relationship When It Becomes a Business Arrangement

Stargazer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The backstory:

A friend in the local martial arts community wanted to open his own business teaching martial arts, I think in TKD or a related discipline. He had some background in TKD and is likeable, a coach for his kids' sports teams, easy going, and is well regarded. He was laid off from his business job and strongly considered opening his own business. His teacher told him that if he worked for him either for free or a nominal amount he'd help him own his own company, I think as an affiliate. Several months ago by and it becomes apparent that teacher will not uphold his end of the deal. Friend leaves martial arts entirely over this.

This has gotten me thinking about how student/teacher relationships get skewed when they become business deals. Wondering your thoughts. Seems it is fairly common for sketchy business scenarios to force people out of martial arts for good.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Seems it is fairly common for sketchy business scenarios to force people out of martial arts for good.

From that one example it seems common? Or have you seen this before?
Harsh but, is it the scenario or is it the person putting themself in that scenario that is doing the "forcing"?

On the other hand, don't worry, there's no anomaly here, sketchy business deals across the whole spectrum of human activity force people out of those areas on a daily basis. If nothing else, humanity is dependable.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anything my martial arts business relationships are more stable than many of my personal relationships. The key is that everybody continues to treat each other properly and profesionally and continue to provide value to one another. Business is not a bad thing, it's a good thing. But like any tool it can be used improperly. My business friends, teachers and students, are some of my closest friends. We don't let business mess up our friendship and we don't let friendship mess up our business.

Last edited:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The backstory:

A friend in the local martial arts community wanted to open his own business teaching martial arts, I think in TKD or a related discipline. He had some background in TKD and is likeable, a coach for his kids' sports teams, easy going, and is well regarded. He was laid off from his business job and strongly considered opening his own business. His teacher told him that if he worked for him either for free or a nominal amount he'd help him own his own company, I think as an affiliate. Several months ago by and it becomes apparent that teacher will not uphold his end of the deal. Friend leaves martial arts entirely over this.

This has gotten me thinking about how student/teacher relationships get skewed when they become business deals. Wondering your thoughts. Seems it is fairly common for sketchy business scenarios to force people out of martial arts for good.
Inconsiderate, selfish people are common, as are outright criminals. They're in no way restricted to martial arts.

This sort of stuff happens everywhere.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Friendships can get skewed when friends go in to business together.

Familial relationships can get skewed when family members go in to business together.

Its certainly possible for teacher-student relationships to get skewed when teachers and students go in to business together.

But as far as giving up on martial arts for good? That is a personal choice, but its an unnecessary commitment. The arts will be there if/when the person wants to return.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sad to say, this is far too common.

I personally believe that it is my obligation as a senior to help my junior students become successful. I'm helping one of my juniors open a school right now. He's only 3.5 miles from my school, but I don't consider him competition. Instead, I'm going to try to make him as successful as I can.

The goal of every instructor should be to turn out students that are better than they are. My $0.02 worth....

Latest Discussions