Point Sparring Strategies

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
Hello all. I'm looking to start entering a few tourneys here and there, just for S's and G's. Now, I've pretty much been trained in continuous, non-stop sparring. I'm guessing point sparring might employ different strategies, and different approaches. Anybody out there have useful pointers, or maybe some of their favorite techniques??

X

XxTKDPenguinxX

Well... I have to say that there is a pretty good difference in point sparing. Of course this would greatly depend on the rules for the point system; i.e. what is legal and what is not.
I have found it harder to point spar due to the fact that I came from a system that allowed kicks to anywhere and punches anywhere (provided that they were CONTROLLED for power). I am now in a system that allows punches to the body only. This ranges from the ribs around to the chest and stomach. Kicks are allowed anywhere above the belt (or the waist if someone thinks it cute to try and wear their belt around their neck).
The only pointer I can give is to practice with someone using the point system that you are going to compete in.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The best person to ask for point fighting advice here is Dan Anderson.

You can private message him here.

He wrote the bible on tournament fighting...you should really pick up his book "American Freestyle karate," and his other book on the subject.

Ask him, and I'm sure he'll tell you all about it! :supcool:

G

gic102

the best way to get better at point sparring is to get out there and compete......often there's nothing better than experience to come up with your own strategies to see what works for you and what doesnt, also other people's strategies may or may not work for you. but here is some advice that in my opinion is universal in a match never get angry keep a calm and level head in order to employ your strategies.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
The best person to ask for point fighting advice here is Dan Anderson.

You can private message him here.

He wrote the bible on tournament fighting...you should really pick up his book "American Freestyle karate," and his other book on the subject.

Ask him, and I'm sure he'll tell you all about it! :supcool:

O.K....new pet peeve...dinging reputation points and not giving a good reason for it.

I was dinged or given a negative, for this post qouted above. Anyone got the nutz to come forward and tell me why?

I'll be looking forward to that... :rolleyes:

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
O.K....new pet peeve...dinging reputation points and not giving a good reason for it.

I was dinged or given a negative, for this post qouted above. Anyone got the nutz to come forward and tell me why?

I'll be looking forward to that... :rolleyes:

I didn't give you the negative but I can balance it out. Usually those that give negative and don't sign it are cowards. Sometimes it is because you are not in their art othertimes it is because you said something they disagree with. I agree that people need to have the berries to show when they give a negative.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Point sparring is indeed a different animal. I would try setting up some time after class to point spar with some people you are familiar with and then enlarge the group until you are ready for tournament. In the old days many of us learned the art of point sparring in tournaments but back then it was a lot cheaper to compete so the lesson out weighted the costs. Now a days some tournamenst run $50 to enter just for sparring, if you lose quickliy it becomes a costly lesson.

You should also try to pick up Bill "Superfoot" Wallace's Sparring Combination tape. It will really help you out a lot.

I would also suggets you know the rules for every tournament you enter since tehy often change from venue to venue.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan

Apparently someone didn't like my opinion in this thread as well, so they gave me negative feedback and they didn't have nutz to sign it or give a reason. Too many cowards around here hiding behind their anonimity.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks Rob. :ultracool

Yes, I agree, it is cowardly to not at least give a reason why you gave someone negative points.

In this thread I was only trying to be a help. If I have done something wrong, I would like to know...however just giving me a negative point for no reason does not help me.

I really don't care about "points" at all...but it is nice to get feedback, good or bad. I value opinions...however, a negative point with no explaination is not very constructive, IMHO.

Hmmm...oh well...I balanced you out too Rob... :)

T

the_kicking_fiend

Back to the point...

I find in point sparring you can get away with a lot of pretty stupid moves that you would never really do in a fight. One of the most common scoring techniques you will see no matter where you go, is just diving in off the spot and completely leaping forwards either with a single backfist or multiple punches. I think they do multiple attacks to make sure one gets in and is seen.

This might not sound like much of a martial artist's way of winning. I have always resisted using this technique but it's quite hard to defend against with a fast opponent. I'd say the best defene is trying to stand almost bolt upright whilst throwing your front leg sidekick out like a jab to catch them out if they try the lunge.

Besides from that, expect to see a lot of roundhouse kicks, not many sidekicks, not many reverse kicks and mostly hand techniques will score.

d

S

sifu nick

I would suggest at least watching a few tourneys to learn the rules if you do not want to compete right away. I would suggest working on drills to increase speed since it is speed and not power that scores the points in a tournament using the NASKA,NBL,WSKF,KRANE type rules.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thought I would give this a bump for some of the newer people here to comment on.
:)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Point sparring in the AAU and some open is all about quickness not speed the first to hit with a hand or foot strike to the area in question recieves the point not really any statagies involved just be the quickes.
Terry

mc811

White Belt
Reaction score
Be fast and then try to get faster and if that does not work get even faster.... But in all seriousness,the back fist is the fastest strike that I can think of and perfect a quick front leg round -house and of course be smart and you will do just fine......

Mitch C.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
-In point sparring, use the lead leg rather than the rear leg. Power is not really an issue in point sparring as it is more of a game of tag. The lead leg will allow you to strike more quickly.

-A lead leg front kick is to point sparring TKD like what a jab can be for a boxer. Use your lead leg to put something between you and your opponent, prevent him from coming directly at you, gauge distance, feel him out, etc. You can also score with it if your opponent gets careless.

-Foot work. It is different from Olympic sparring footwork. Make sure you can keep you distance and close the distance without being touched. Make sure you can move at angles very well.

-Keep your hands up! They don't need to hurt you or "make you move" to score a point. They simply need to hit your hogu.

-Use your punches and strikes. They WILL be counted and no body likes losing the match point from a quick lead hand back fist.

As for specific strategies.....

The Flying Whirlwind:

This person is very fast, flexible, agile, and can jump very well. They usually have long legs and suberb control of their kicks. They will use jump spin kicks and spin kicks to score their points. The techniques themselves allow them to briefly remove their target areas to be scored on (by spinning), while still allowing them to deliver an attack. The speed and range at which these kicks can be thrown can make it really difficult for a person to close the distance. Some top competitors can execute 720 degree hook kicks or repeatedly do spin kicks, causing their opponent to commit to a block or movement before being hit with an unexpected kick. If you don't know how to move, you will get creamed.

"Signature" Techniques: 360(+ !!) degree Jump Spin Hook kick, Spin Hook Kicks, Lead Leg Side kicks to keep distance.

The Human Whip:

Like The Flying Whirlwind, the person probably has a long reach with their legs, good flexibility, and good control over their kicks. This person relys on lead leg combination kicks to force an opponent to commit to a block or evasion before hitting them with the second (or third!) kick. Remember that power is not needed to score a point, simply a "tag". This can make sparring a person employing this strategy very hard to spar.

"Signature" Techniques: Lead Leg Hook Kick/Round Kick combination, Lead Leg Front Kick/Round Kick Combo, Double Side or Round Kicks.

The Bull:

This person likes to simply charge in and get in there. Usually this is a strategy employed by color belts, but black belt ranks, myself included, have refined this strategy into something else which I will get into later. This way of sparring is very simply. Quickly charge in, weather the incoming blows attempting to stop you, and let loose with a barrage of punches, kicks, etc. Don't stop until the judges seperate you and don't let your opponent get a chance to act offensively.

"Signature" Techniques: Jabs, Crosses, Hooks, Front or Round Kicks with either front or back leg.

The Defender:

This person will let you come to them instead of coming after you. A person is most vunerable when they commit to an attack. The Defender will feel you out, wait for you to make your move, and exploit where you are weak. Again, they don't need to knock you over, the simply need to tag the opening. Unless you are very fast or are good at limiting your openings when attacking, don't be surprized when all of a sudden the center judge calls "Break!" before you even completed your follow-up strike.

"Signature" Techniques: Lead Leg Front or Side Kick to keep distance. Lead Hand Back Fist.

The Shark:

My personal method of sparring, and a refinement over The Bull, and borrows from The Defender. This person will circle you and always move. If you attack, they will circle away. If you try in slowly work your way closer, they will use lead leg kicks and other techniques to re-establish distance. Like The Defender, they wait for the opening and like The Bull they will rush in and unleash a barrage of attacks non-stop until the judges seperate you and your opponent. What is different in this method of sparring is that while you are waiting for an opening like the defender, you are not really counter-attacking a specfic technique. When your opponent commits to an attack, or you put him in a bad position due to your superior foot work, you will charge in like The Bull and attack. This will limit your opponent's ability to attack back because of the angle, take him by surprize, force him to be defensive, and give you the opportunity to just go crazy with strikes.

"Signature" Techniques: Jab, Cross, Hook, Back Leg Front and Round Kicks, Spin Hook Kick (for me personally) to keep distance

I am over generalizing sparring, but this gives one the basic idea of sparring methods used from my 12 years of ATA TKD point sparring. Sorry to be long winded, but I hope this information helps some one!

Latest Discussions