People who abandon pets

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, yes, humans need the guidance of the supreme being in the 'washroom' ^_^

They make me work for a living: 3 cats 4 different foods...naturally the water in the dish is not as good as running tab in the bathroom. 'Mrr' means: "do turn on the faucet, please. NOW" :)

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's funny, our other cat Grendel is also female and also likes attention on her terms. Maybe that's a difference between males and females.

Grendel is also very talkative and very affectionate when she wants to be. Funny thing is, one of her regular attention times is when papa needs to spend some time in the bathroom. Then she INSISTS on coming in and talking to me, like I need some guidance or something.

We inherited a colony of feral cats when we bought our house a couple years ago. I've been working with the local SPCA chapter who runs a free feral spay/neuter clinic with basic shots and health assessment, and I've had 7 of the ferals taken care of so far (one had to be euthanized, he was advanced FIV and had serious health problems). I'm not the only one in the neighborhood doing it, some other cats have already been fixed, and I know of at least a half dozen more that I haven't caught yet. It's an ongoing project.

One of the ferals is actually friendly, the others are quite wild and will run and hide and are definitely not handleable.. He comes out when I feed them and chatters with me and lets me pet him. He had a serious case of earmites, it was so bad he was literally trying to dig a hole thru the back of his head scratching at them. He had a huge, bloody ripped gash on the back of his head, big enough that I could see it from across the yard, and he had it for several months. That is what actually inspired me to get active and start trapping these cats. I was so happy when I finally caught this one and had him taken care of, he just looked so miserable. He's doing much better now, the wound is healed and he's in good spirits.

Good on ya for stepping up and doing that for those cats. There are alot of folks here that do the same thing as well. I live in a newer housing development and I'm surprised that I haven't come across any abandoned dogs or cats. It seems like it would be an ideal place for someone abandon an animal "I just leave Skippy here and someone will take him in".

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good on ya for stepping up and doing that for those cats. There are alot of folks here that do the same thing as well. I live in a newer housing development and I'm surprised that I haven't come across any abandoned dogs or cats. It seems like it would be an ideal place for someone abandon an animal "I just leave Skippy here and someone will take him in".

For some reason people think taking them 'to the country' is much kinder...there are a few farms with a continuous stream of drop offs...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

The ferals are actually a bit of a problem where I live. The area is kind of overrun with them. The houses are built wall-to-wall so there is limited access to the street from the back yards and our colony keeps to the inside of the block most of th time. I suspect every block has their own feral colony, and I see them on the sidewak and on the streets as well, but those are not usually the same ones that I see in our backyard colony. I think it's possible that there are hundreds of them living within an area of a square mile or so, since I know our block has at least 20 or so and maybe more.

All I can to is take care of my colony. Take them out of the breeding pool and have their basic health needs checked and let them go. It's humane and stops the cycle. But like I said, it's an ongoing project because there is some fluctuation in the colony and once in a while a new one shows up who I've never seen before. OK, gotta keep trapping...

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For some reason people think taking them 'to the country' is much kinder...there are a few farms with a continuous stream of drop offs...

I'm sure it's the same way here as well, I live in a newer suburban area, but there are quite a few farms still close enough by that I'm sure it happens to them quite a bit. As a kid I remember my grandparents "inheriting" a number of dogs and cats to take care of that people just dropped off on their property. I count those ones as lucky since they just became part of an extended family and were well taken care of. I'm sure there are others that aren't quite so lucky.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm sure it's the same way here as well, I live in a newer suburban area, but there are quite a few farms still close enough by that I'm sure it happens to them quite a bit. As a kid I remember my grandparents "inheriting" a number of dogs and cats to take care of that people just dropped off on their property. I count those ones as lucky since they just became part of an extended family and were well taken care of. I'm sure there are others that aren't quite so lucky.

Depending on where in the country, they can very well end up as coyote food. Still, beats slowly starving to death because the food supply dried up and the critter has no survival skills. :(

Hard to believe that farms do not need 35 dogs and 100 cats...

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The ferals are actually a bit of a problem where I live. The area is kind of overrun with them. The houses are built wall-to-wall so there is limited access to the street from the back yards and our colony keeps to the inside of the block most of th time. I suspect every block has their own feral colony, and I see them on the sidewak and on the streets as well, but those are not usually the same ones that I see in our backyard colony. I think it's possible that there are hundreds of them living within an area of a square mile or so, since I know our block has at least 20 or so and maybe more.

In our neighborhood, feral cats are not a problem... they're seen as quite high on the menu by the rather large packs of coyote's nearby. They occasionally take out some of the neighborhood pets as well. :(

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In our neighborhood, feral cats are not a problem... they're seen as quite high on the menu by the rather large packs of coyote's nearby. They occasionally take out some of the neighborhood pets as well. :(

yeah, I suppose if it was far enough out from the cities up here the mountain lions could get into the mix as well.

We've got some skunk and raccoon here in the city, I had one of each in my back yard a few weeks ago. Probably smelled the sardines I was baiting the cats in with for the traps. The skunk I had Animal Control pick up because he was in bad shape. Big nasty gash on the back of his head, the officer said he looked pretty bad, walking around in the daytime.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I've actually heard stories of coyote coming in to "play" with a domestic dog, leading it out away from the house and then jumping the dog with several coyote pals. Crafty little buggars, those guys are.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've actually heard stories of coyote coming in to "play" with a domestic dog, leading it out away from the house and then jumping the dog with several coyote pals. Crafty little buggars, those guys are.

Yeah, I know a person who saw a coyote snatch a small dog from her (fenced in) back yard. Yikes. I'm pretty sure my two are big enough to be considered more a likely threat than a light snack.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I know a person who saw a coyote snatch a small dog from her (fenced in) back yard. Yikes. I'm pretty sure my two are big enough to be considered more a likely threat than a light snack.

The bigger dogs are the ones who get lured out and jumped by a gang. If this is even true, that is.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
My kitty is a rescue from animal control. The guess was that he was someone's pet that was left behind after the people moved out. I remember the first time I saw him, he gave me a happy meow and he started purring as I picked him out of his pen...even though he had some medical issues from the neglect. Best guess was that he was someone's pet, and someone moved away.

It pains me so much that someone would abandon such a gentle companion out for neglect or worse...

4889036181_e70f1bafac_z.jpg

KITTIES!!!! :)

I have to say it again....He's beautiful and I love the way his eyes are the same color as his bit of fur. :)

Purr.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
(Orange kitties talk to anybody....)

True enough. I think he's talking to you now Gran...wondering if you can spare any cat treats. He promises to be really cute and soft in return :rofl:

Latest Discussions