Payment for dan rank

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini it is nice of you to think about me and the trouble it may cause, the outcome is simple when I was asked you are kidding. I could never give someone something they have never earned through my school. I have been asked to sit on other people boards and I will from time to time but I will never sign another Instructor certificate without me personally haveing something to do with there training, just not in my soul to do that.
Terry

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Gemini it is nice of you to think about me and the trouble it may cause, the outcome is simple when I was asked you are kidding. I could never give someone something they have never earned through my school. I have been asked to sit on other people boards and I will from time to time but I will never sign another Instructor certificate without me personally haveing something to do with there training, just not in my soul to do that.
Terry

It's called ethics, Terry. It's what's gotten you where you are today.:) It's got your phone caller where he is today, too....Begging for what he cannot earn. In your's or any other reputable school.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My mind works at a different level from day to day so I might have said yes to the man taken the money and faild him he oul alway come back again for more money and fail again

He only asked to be tested not be passed

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
hmm... well, here is another suggestion. Maybe you could have offered to work him into your teaching schedule. Have him become your student for a year or so during which time you could evaluate his character, knowledge, and abilities. At the end of that time, you could test him for whatever rank you felt he deserved. Maybe during this time his eyes would open up and he might become a serious student and the rank issue might just fade away...

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
hmm... well, here is another suggestion. Maybe you could have offered to work him into your teaching schedule. Have him become your student for a year or so during which time you could evaluate his character, knowledge, and abilities. At the end of that time, you could test him for whatever rank you felt he deserved. Maybe during this time his eyes would open up and he might become a serious student and the rank issue might just fade away...

I like your idea in therory, Crane. But anyone willing to offer $10K for rank w/ no test or questions asked is not likely going to wanna subject himself to a year as an actual student for an actual master.

10-1 odds he already has his check on the way to someone.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wanted to bump this thread cuz I wanna know if you'd heard from this guy (or heard of him) since this.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes Iceman he found a local guy and recieved his rank from him, the local instructor said he needed the money and if the guy was that much of a sap he would help him be the best sap possible.
Thanks for asking
Terry

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Yes Iceman he found a local guy and recieved his rank from him, the local instructor said he needed the money and if the guy was that much of a sap he would help him be the best sap possible.
Thanks for asking
Terry

Was this the same instructor that said your wife should be higher rank?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
Was this the same instructor that said your wife should be higher rank?

Matter of fact yes, kinda ironic huh!!!
Terry

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It is amazing what people will pay for a Kukkiwon. If they only knew the real cost, it is even lower in Korea.

ron

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MSUTKD said:
It is amazing what people will pay for a Kukkiwon. If they only knew the real cost, it is even lower in Korea.

ron

But that still implies that someone wants to test honestly.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will grant that my last testing fee was higher than the previous ones - but I know where it went, and that doesn't bother me. My organization doesn't allow instructors to test their own students as a general practice - okay, I had a student miss testing for 9th gup because of transport problems we didn't find out in time to fix, so I had the I Dans test him - still, when I tested to IV Dan, my instructor couldn't test me, and our rules require testing instructors to outrank the person testing by at least 2 dan ranks over what the person is testing to - so we had to bring in a VI Dan from out of state, and that's where most of the fee went. The money went first to the testing instructor's fee and travel expenses, and the rest went to the organization. We also had a seminar by the same instructor after testing; that's where the rest of the money to cover the cost was raised.

Hannya

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow 10k... thats a real test of will. When it comes to that kinda money you KNOW someone will sign off on it, its just a matter of time. Does your name become connected to him if you had accepted?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hannya said:
Wow 10k... thats a real test of will. When it comes to that kinda money you KNOW someone will sign off on it, its just a matter of time. Does your name become connected to him if you had accepted?

Well of course it would have and then my integrity would go up in smoke as they would say and my dignity would go out the window.
Terry

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are the standard rates for Kukkiwon certification again?

Isn't 1st dan $70?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bignick said:
What are the standard rates for Kukkiwon certification again?

Isn't 1st dan $70?

Yes it is. 2nd is $90, 3rd is $120......7th is $450. There certainly needs to be costs added for the testing board's time etc. But $10K for 3rd dan is a bit steep. Especially for someone who has no intention on actually testing for the rank.

Latest Discussions