Patience Vs. Efficiency

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
PhotonGuy and DannyT, it seems to me that you are both equating being offended with being angry. I completely disagree that one should never be offended. But I do agree that one should be able to manage their behavior and emotions when offended to handle it constructively.
To offend is to cause discomfort, injury, dislike, anger, irritation or annoyance.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
To offend is to cause discomfort, injury, dislike, anger, irritation or annoyance.
Thanks for clarifying what you mean when you use the term "to offend." It definitely helps. I'll try to do the same.

Anger, irritation or annoyance are reactions to many things, offense being only one. People are often angry, irritated or annoyed by things that they do not find offensive. Conversely, not everyone who is offended is angry, irritated or annoyed. And, of course, someone who is offended may not be any of these things.

Something that is offensive is morally or physically objectionable, reprehensible, and/or insulting. If you are never offended, I would argue you lack a well defined moral compass. Moral apathy or immunity to moral outrage is, IMO, a character flaw. Once again, how you react to reprehensible or objectionable words or behavior is different from being offended by them. So, when you say someone who is offended is weak, I really believe the opposite to be true. Someone who is never offended is, at best, morally questionable.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anger:
To make angry, to infuriate, to rile, to offend, to madden.

Never said one should never be offended.
Said if words offend you then you are weak.

Words are but a means of communication. Words themselves can’t hurt or offend unless you allow them to.
The person speaking or writing them offends. It is the actions (or non-actions) of the person that is offensive. Not the words.

Latest Discussions