Patience Vs. Efficiency

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Early on I was posting about how I preferred getting things done in a timely matter. I preferred to get things done quickly and to be efficient rather than patient. I believe what people've pointed out, which I've come to realize is that patience and efficiency are apples and oranges, except for the fact that being impatient can be inefficient.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10858493_10152474596126516_4336918910954826782_n.jpg

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Patience, patience, patience. Please..., may I have patience!!

Efficiency is the ability to do something or produce without waste of materials, time, or energy.
Doing something at the wrong time or too quickly and improperly would not be efficiency.

Patience is the capacity or fact of being able to remain calm and not become annoyed when having to wait, when dealing with problems, and/or when dealing with difficult and annoying people/situations.

Being patient more often than not increases efficiency. Less mistakes, less time having to redo, and less material and energy loss. Being patient does not mean being non-productive; that right about now I am feeling.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't think the two can be related in such a general manner. Maybe in specific situations but the two aren't inherently comparable.

Getting things done quickly and being efficient are different too. In fact, I've found that trying to do things 'quickly' in terms of training usually means being inefficient, or having to do a hell of a lot of work in a short space of time.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Slow is smooth,smooth is fast.

photon guy. Can you detail exactly what you think it takes to progress quickly in martial arts?

I would consider that our club is about fast progression. But that is through hard work and putting the time in.

which is not an oxymoron.
Train every day vs once a week and you will get better faster. Train against the guys who will test you or bash you. You will get better faster. Talk less,rest less,train with intensity and you will get better faster.

efficiency takes time and effort and so takes a bit of patience.
And if it takes a hundred threads to work out what you have to work out then it is worth it in the end.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think the two can be related in such a general manner. Maybe in specific situations but the two aren't inherently comparable.

Getting things done quickly and being efficient are different too. In fact, I've found that trying to do things 'quickly' in terms of training usually means being inefficient, or having to do a hell of a lot of work in a short space of time.
Yes. However, as as Danny T explained, there can well be a direct connection between the two (just not as photonguy seemed to be saying) as sometimes patience can lead to great efficiency whereas impatience can simply lead to all the wheels falling off the cart...

D

Deleted member 32980

Early on I was posting about how I preferred getting things done in a timely matter. I preferred to get things done quickly and to be efficient rather than patient. I believe what people've pointed out, which I've come to realize is that patience and efficiency are apples and oranges, except for the fact that being impatient can be inefficient.
When your younger, naturally your always in a hurry. When you get older (50) you take your time. I, realized at a young age that taking your time and focusing at a task makes you more efficient and you don't mess up as often. It's scientifically proven anyways. But, if I need to clean my house I still multi task and rush it still being efficient.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tez3 you're not showing much patience.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Patience, patience, patience. Please..., may I have patience!!

Efficiency is the ability to do something or produce without waste of materials, time, or energy.
Doing something at the wrong time or too quickly and improperly would not be efficiency.

Patience is the capacity or fact of being able to remain calm and not become annoyed when having to wait, when dealing with problems, and/or when dealing with difficult and annoying people/situations.

Being patient more often than not increases efficiency. Less mistakes, less time having to redo, and less material and energy loss. Being patient does not mean being non-productive; that right about now I am feeling.

Right, good comparison.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

How about this. How about getting things done quickly AND getting them done well. Getting things done in a timely manner but not taking any shortcuts. Getting something done as soon as you can while still doing the best job you can.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
How about this. How about getting things done quickly AND getting them done well. Getting things done in a timely manner but not taking any shortcuts. Getting something done as soon as you can while still doing the best job you can.
Doing things quickly and well usually requires a lot of work in my experience. Everyone is different but I find to get anywhere fast in martial arts I really need to put in the hours +++++ if we're talking about improving drastically at anything within a month.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Slow is smooth,smooth is fast.

photon guy. Can you detail exactly what you think it takes to progress quickly in martial arts?

I would consider that our club is about fast progression. But that is through hard work and putting the time in.

which is not an oxymoron.
Train every day vs once a week and you will get better faster. Train against the guys who will test you or bash you. You will get better faster. Talk less,rest less,train with intensity and you will get better faster.

efficiency takes time and effort and so takes a bit of patience.
And if it takes a hundred threads to work out what you have to work out then it is worth it in the end.

What I would think it would take to progress quickly in the martial arts would be to train hard and often but not take any shortcuts. As you said somebody who comes to class every day will most likely progress faster than somebody coming in only once a week. And I do agree with it being worth it if it takes a hundred or more threads to work something out as you probably can tell.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
What I would think it would take to progress quickly in the martial arts would be to train hard and often but not take any shortcuts. As you said somebody who comes to class every day will most likely progress faster than somebody coming in only once a week. And I do agree with it being worth it if it takes a hundred or more threads to work something out as you probably can tell.

Training is an organized action designed to impart information and/or instruction to improve one’s performance or attain a increased level of knowledge or abilities. Training, because it is a learn model, should be done slowly and relaxed. Once the information is imparted the trainee should slowly at first practice, practice, practice until the moves, positions, actions are ingrained. Then the pressure should be increase, speed should be increase incrementally going only as fast as one can perform properly. Training is learning the information, practice ingrains and it is the repetition, repetition, repetition through hard practice that makes one better. The more you practice properly the quicker you will grow your skills.
You Need More Practice!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

how many times are you going to retitle, reword and repost the same exact thing.......

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is pretty much the first time....just reworded...so I am guessing you will keep at it until you get the answer that validates your view on the topic....

No actually my views on patience and efficiency has changed since the first time I posted them.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't seem so, since you're still misusing the terms in the same way you did the other 14.372 times you've started this thread.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Training is an organized action designed to impart information and/or instruction to improve one’s performance or attain a increased level of knowledge or abilities. Training, because it is a learn model, should be done slowly and relaxed. Once the information is imparted the trainee should slowly at first practice, practice, practice until the moves, positions, actions are ingrained. Then the pressure should be increase, speed should be increase incrementally going only as fast as one can perform properly. Training is learning the information, practice ingrains and it is the repetition, repetition, repetition through hard practice that makes one better. The more you practice properly the quicker you will grow your skills.
You Need More Practice!

that is kind of interesting because for me it raises this question. Are we training to the level of the worst in the room. Or the best.

I will add to this my coach has been training seriously for only about five or six years.

He has been training pretty hard for those six years though.

Latest Discussions