Parent in class

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd just like to point out here that all the OP said was the guy was offering things to the head instructor like free car services. He never said the head instructor accepted those offers or let them affect his judgement. I think you're reading between the lines a bit too much on this one Steve.
Absolutely I have no idea if it happened or not only that it was offered I mean the kid has never gotten promoter faster than anyone else has so I don't see any favouritism and the time I actually heard it offered the instructor said no because he'd only just had it serviced so there there was no point

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hey, you posted a story and asked for opinions. I shared my opinion, which is that I don't find the account entirely credible. Pal.

And sure, I'm reading between the lines. Why wouldn't I?

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey, you posted a story and asked for opinions. I shared my opinion, which is that I don't find the account entirely credible. Pal.

And sure, I'm reading between the lines. Why wouldn't I?
And you haven't said why

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why what? I really don't know what you're looking for here.
If you're going to call someone give a reason for it. Why do you think I lied you think I'm lying about never teaching before why? Why's that so hard to believe

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually pal maybe you shouldn't make assumptions. Yes it was my first time teaching and since I'm a black belt the instructor trusts any opinions of a black belt on those issues and no you didn't you heard exactly what happened and what was said
You're allowed to give out tips your first time instructing? How can you make that judgment after just one class with them?

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You're allowed to give out tips your first time instructing? How can you make that judgment after just one class with them?

I've been wondering what this whole giving "tips" is all about. Are we talking about tips as in advice or tips as in tipping your waiter?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If you're going to call someone give a reason for it. Why do you think I lied you think I'm lying about never teaching before why? Why's that so hard to believe
I never said you lied. I am saying you're sharing a version of the story that is most favorable to you. I would suspect that the parent is telling his buddies a very different version of the story, I don't have any way of knowing whether your version is even close to what actually happened.

Bottom line, I don't know enough about what happened to know where things went haywire, but based on the way you're reacting to even a little push back in this thread, I can only imagine what you were like when this guy you admit you already didn't think highly of challenged your authority in the school.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never said you lied. I am saying you're sharing a version of the story that is most favorable to you. I would suspect that the parent is telling his buddies a very different version of the story, I don't have any way of knowing whether your version is even close to what actually happened.

Bottom line, I don't know enough about what happened to know where things went haywire, but based on the way you're reacting to even a little push back in this thread, I can only imagine what you were like when this guy you admit you already didn't think highly of challenged your authority in the school.
Imagine away couldn't care less

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
The same way an instructor you've never trained with before can decide if you deserve to pass a belt test or not

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been wondering what this whole giving "tips" is all about. Are we talking about tips as in advice or tips as in tipping your waiter?
At my school, and I'm assuming his, the kids have to earn 'tips' (tape on the belt) before they can go for the next belt test. Its a way to mark smaller progress as the kids learn the necessary material.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The same way an instructor you've never trained with before can decide if you deserve to pass a belt test or not
Yes, but that's for a test. I generally wouldn't go over all their material for a tip in one class, and make the judgment off that, I would be focusing on other things. To each his own, though. Just seems odd to me.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I asked the question based on what happened not whether I'm telling the truth or not
What you report is subjective, so that has to be taken into consideration. I see no reason for you to lie here, and doubt that you did, but if the story sounded fishy half the people on this forum would be calling you on it.
I also don't think Steve is saying you're lying, just that we're hearing a subjective story.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny that you actually haven't said what I'm supposed to have done wrong all you've done is call me a liar for some reason
He didn't call you a liar HH, he said we'd probably heard a version that favored you. That's actually what you'd expect when someone tells their side of a story. People tend to not remember (maybe not notice) their own contributions to events. Steve can be a bit too direct at times, but I don't think he meant to say you were telling an untrue version, just that the version you tell would naturally paint you in a favorable light.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
At my school, and I'm assuming his, the kids have to earn 'tips' (tape on the belt) before they can go for the next belt test. Its a way to mark smaller progress as the kids learn the necessary material.

I see. In which case I would say this whole situation could have been avoided if he didn't give out those tips. Whenever I cover another teacher's class I don't pass any of the students on any skills or recommend them to be promoted to the next class, as I don't know what standards the other teacher is using to evaluate the students. You avoid a lot of complications that way. Just teach the class and leave the evaluating and promoting to their regular instructor.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see. In which case I would say this whole situation could have been avoided if he didn't give out those tips. Whenever I cover another teacher's class I don't pass any of the students on any skills or recommend them to be promoted to the next class, as I don't know what standards the other teacher is using to evaluate the students. You avoid a lot of complications that way. Just teach the class and leave the evaluating and promoting to their regular instructor.
I wouldn't have done but I got told to do it since it's coming up to a test and the instructor wanted them evaluated so he knows who needs extra help in the coming weeks before the test