Panhandlers

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Adept said:
He (or she) who asserts must prove. If the only standard of proof required is an internet post, then here; less than 5 percent of homeless people have a mental disorder. Done. Of course, I can't come up with and sources to back that up, but apparently that isn't a requirement.

You're right, Adept. I was wrong. The number isn't as high as I posted earlier...though it is up to five times higher than your estimate:

http://www.nationalhomeless.org/mental.html

http://www.nrchmi.samhsa.gov/facts/facts_question_2.asp

A lessoned learned. Its only one out of four. My bust.

Regards,

Steve

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well then, the homeless just seem to keep pace with the rest of society.

http://www.mydr.com.au/default.asp?Section=mentalhealth

http://www.hreoc.gov.au/disability_rights/speeches/mii93.htm

Of course, the real kicker is that (especially in a country the size of the US) its nearly impossible to take an accurate survey. Your sample groups would need to be extensive, and from each area of each state. At least 10% of all homeless people from urban, suburban, large town, small town and rural areas. From every state.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-There are so many ways to look at these situations. I lived for three months in Mexico, stayed in Cuernavaca, and traveled a bit. After having so many poor kids walk up and ask for money, I can say that I will never hand out money to a panhandler again. I'll admit, part of my mentality concerns my effort, my money. Another part looks at the State of New York and just gets ticked off. We are taxed quite heavily in NY, and a lot of money goes to social services. When the bums come out, I can only say, listen, I'd love to help you, but there are plenty of services available in the city to help you get back on your feet.

-Homelessness is a choice for some, others just have it bad. Does each individual case require close scrutiny to ensure whether or not helping out is justified? My indirect answer to that is this: there are too many people in this country and the system cannot handle it. There are many other plausible answers as well, and some of them have been mentioned. There have also been some good posts here in regards to fixing the problem.

-We all have our standards, and I suppose its natural to initially judge others using those standards. I don't believe in any god, nor do I adhere to the notion of Karma. Cosmic justice maybe. However, I do believe in helping out those I can. My family and friends come before everything else. Beyond, I'll figure it out as I go along. Should I try to help everyone?

-I certainly believe most of us would like to help everyone who is down and out, try to get them back into life. And sometimes it is hard to weed out the bad ones who only want handouts. Lazy slugs bloated with materialistic desires, yet lacking good work ethics and personal responsibility. I know a guy who called a friend of mine and told him to go to work so he (the other guy) could go get his check from the mailbox...loser. Perfectly capable of working, but mooching off the system.

-A lot needs to be done, much reforming of the system, better education, voting out the politicians who thrive by being control freaks and greedy bastards. Unfortunately, this nation seems to be sliding down without any signs of stopping. I can say for certain, if I ever have kids of my own, they will do what is right, as my parents and friends have taught me. Thanks for listening.

A---)

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Adept said:
The next question is; why?
A number of reasons... the chief of which is that empathy and concern for others is one of the noblest human traits (although it can be seen in other species as well), and although some may see giving as weakness, I see it as an honorable trait.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And -- if I am only for myself, what am I?

The wise man does not speak in the presence of one wiser than himself. He does not interrupt when his fellow speaks. He is not hasty to answer. He asks questions that are relevant gives answers to the point. He deals with first things first and last things last. He readily admits when he does not know about a matter. He acknowledges the truth.

You know who you are. Have some compassion for your fellow humans. KT

Latest Discussions