Stem Cells Help Paralyzed Woman Walk without ethical debate

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/041128/1/3ovex.html

In this story, a Korean woman who was paralyzed for 20 years was able to take her first steps after stem cell therapy. The stem cells used in her treatment were found not from embryos, but from blood obtained through umbilical cords.

Question for discussion: May it be better to first see the practical limitations of these cord stem cells before using embryonic cells to get a better understanding on how to utilize stem cells, or should we still try to obtain embryonic stem cells first?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
deadhand31 said:
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/041128/1/3ovex.html

In this story, a Korean woman who was paralyzed for 20 years was able to take her first steps after stem cell therapy. The stem cells used in her treatment were found not from embryos, but from blood obtained through umbilical cords.

Question for discussion: May it be better to first see the practical limitations of these cord stem cells before using embryonic cells to get a better understanding on how to utilize stem cells, or should we still try to obtain embryonic stem cells first?
No.

Science should proceed under its own peer-reviewed processes. There should be no reason why embryonic stem cell research can not proceed according to the science available.

Using stem cells from umbilical cords should also be studied according to the available science.

No faster. No slower. Each at the pace available by science.

So, should we stop all the fertility treatments in America because of 'ethical debate'? If you were not aware, in fertility clinics all across America, couples are fertilizing embryos and freezing them and destroying them in attempts to reproduce. Is this destruction of fertilized egg the moral equivilent of stem cell research? Why or why not?

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great piece of news!

If it's a stem cell, it's a stem cell - it is totipotent (can become any kind of body cell). It should not differ between being harvested from a zygote, or from the umbilical cord. If there *are* slight differences, then both should be studied.

As michaeledward points out, IVF clinics create, freeze, and sometimes destroy lots of zygotes. If parents want to donate those cells to becoming an immortal lab line to help others, why shouldn't they?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
Great piece of news!

If it's a stem cell, it's a stem cell - it is totipotent (can become any kind of body cell). It should not differ between being harvested from a zygote, or from the umbilical cord. If there *are* slight differences, then both should be studied.

As michaeledward points out, IVF clinics create, freeze, and sometimes destroy lots of zygotes. If parents want to donate those cells to becoming an immortal lab line to help others, why shouldn't they?
Now, Fiesty ... I don't normally correct spelling ... I speak typo, have for years now ...

But, how do I get hooked up with one of those 'Immortal' labs?:)

Rynocerous

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Excellent thread, and so far great posts. I agree with Mike on this one, we shouldn't limit ourselves to researching only one method. If we think there is more than one way to help Para, and Quadrapalegics(SP?) we should do all in our power of science to get answers. Who knows what will happen tomorrow, I may be in an accident and get paralized. Then I will really be interested in getting this research on the road.

Cheers,

Ryan

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Now, Fiesty ... I don't normally correct spelling ... I speak typo, have for years now ...

But, how do I get hooked up with one of those 'Immortal' labs?:)
:roflmao:

Ooops! I should have said an 'immortal' line of cells, kept in the lab! lol!!

Latest Discussions