Pain absorbability!

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
Does anybody know about this or how to do this? I saw something in the ripley's archives but of course it is a secret technique but I figure if you can resist puncture and pain then why not teach those who want to learn.

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Without knowing about the Ripley's reference, I would think that it has more to do with pain tolerance than absorbability. One can condition the body by damaging the pain receptors so they may seem impervious to pain.

Take the Muay Thai fighters, they have conditioned their shins to deliver strikes with the impact of a baseball bat (as I have heard it described, however, I have never been hit by a baseball bat.) Before they took up Muay Thai, they probably would cry like babies when they banged their shin on the dishwasher :D

Zeal

White Belt
Reaction score
It doesn't necessarily have to be a resistance. True fighters will go on fighting for something that is important to them but also know when it is time to quit.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pain is your body's way of telling you to stop, because you've injured yourself. Nonetheless, with practice, you can train yourself to ignore pain when you have to - by hardening your striking tools ("forging"), and by teaching yourself to work through pain rather than stopping because of it - that's why sparring needs to include contact, so you're accustomed to being struck, but at the same time, it needs to be controlled contact, enough to know what really getting hit feels like, but enough that you can't defend yourself as you leave the dojang because your sparring partner cracked your rib.

If you have never been struck and worked through it, then the first time it happens you're going to stop, if only momentarily - and in a real self-defense situation, that moment is all it takes for your opponent to win. But even it you can ignore pain in the heat of the moment (adrenalin helps a lot with this), you will feel the pain later - it won't just go away.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wise and true words from Kacey there.

Ignoring pain is very much a situationally dependant reaction.

I've been in one situation where I've been howling like a baby because I've stubbed my toe on the bed post and another where with a mangled arm I'm trying to get up to drag my bike out of the middle of the road.

I do concur that those that train in the striking arts must learn what it is like to be hit tho'. As Kacey says, unless you're already a hardened brawler (in which case you shouldn't be training in an MA (different issue)) it can be very unsettling the first time you get clobbered.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Like Kacey said, people can train themselves to ignore pain long enough to finish whatever it is they're doing at the moment, defense, rescuing someone from a fire or whatever, boxing matches, et al.
Some folks do have a natural high tolerance to pain. I seem to be one of those types... or so I'm told. When my appendix burst I only complained of a mild stomach ache. Blood test showed elevated white blood cells, and subsequent x-rays revealed a ruptured appendix. They wanted to offer me pain-killers or morphine and I told them it doesn't hurt that much. Little did I know that appendicitis is supposed to be one of the most painful conditions a body can go through. Ehh :idunno: wasn't for me.
I've been hit full on by ham-fisted guys and suffered cracked ribs and a thumb but wasn't put out by them. Was sore but nah.

Mebbe it's a state of mind or maybe just a body's natural resistance to screaming pain receptors. Some folks do have that low tolerance. Frank Burns from M*A*S*H for example... "...I get woozy from a paper cut, a hemorrhoid puts me in a coma!" :lol:
But seriously there are those easy to hurt type of folks. But I think with training they could learn to increase their tolerance levels.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A very good point there, Caver. Also, thanks for the heads-up with regard to never, ever, wanting to get in a fight with you :D ...

... unless, that is, that I happen to be carrying my katana :lol.

OP
jkd friend

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well from what heard and saw these people were resisting puncture wounds and shots to the groin and neck. So it may be more than just ignoring pain

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well from what heard and saw these people were resisting puncture wounds and shots to the groin and neck. So it may be more than just ignoring pain
Medically speaking getting shot/stabbed in either of those two areas has an extremely high likelihood of being fatal as there is a lot of (potential) blood (along with the head) loss. Major arteries go up along both sides of the neck along the trachea (you also can asphyxiate if punctured in the windpipe) so the bullet/knife would have to miss by a narrow margin for one to surivive (it has happened)... pain? Don't kid yourself that, that area isn't nerve sensitive... ever had your SO kiss you tenderly along there? Feels good don't it? Wonder why.
Groin... while a kick would basically be one of numbing pain a shot or stab wound would likewise be numbing for the first few moments then the pain really kicks in, don't kid yourself there either. Maybe those you saw/heard about didn't act like it but they were hurting. If not immediately then definitely later, (adrenalin is a great pain killer but it's not long lasting). Lots of nerves down there too, if not then why do we always get in trouble because of that area? hmmm ?
If the opportunity presents itself during a real, (knife) fight then I'm gonna aim the tip of my blade to either of those locations if I can't get to a vital area. Same goes to where I'm gonna try to place a bullet. Though I've heard that gut shots are #1 as far as painful bullet wounds.

A very good point there, Caver. Also, thanks for the heads-up with regard to never, ever, wanting to get in a fight with you :D ...

... unless, that is, that I happen to be carrying my katana :lol.
:lol: Well, I'm not saying I can't be hurt... I can be and have no illusions about what pain is, had to experience that when I was operated on my hip and some bone frags were taken out...the recovery of that surgery well... THAT-was-pain. Likewise I've had full blown sinus infections that made me seriously glad I didn't own a gun at the time. But there's no way I'm gonna go up against a katana... even if I have one of my own.

tempus

Green Belt
Reaction score
Funny that someone brought this up. I went to a small seminar today on iron palam conditioning and rapid short strike techniques. They also train in the style that takes punches to the throat, groin, etc....It was veru impressive. Even when just demonstarting they practice, i would guess you could call it toughing the area for the strike. I was asking about it after the seminar and the guy stated it takes time, focuse and practice. The practice meaning starting off slow and working your way up to take harder and harder shots.

Outside of that the iron plam and hand conditioning exercises I found very useful and easy to practice when training alone.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the OP was recalling a piece about Rod Sarnosky's Gojukai Karate.

There are several threads about 'em here on MT. Personally... I don't know what to make of them. I've never seen them actually demonstrate any technique other than getting pounded on. Which I don't particularly consider a really useful skill... I prefer to avoid the pounding.

tempus

Green Belt
Reaction score
I guess if you could take a pounding and have a defensive\offensive martial art to go along with it, you would be pretty well rounded for a street fight.

OP
jkd friend

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
O.k it was not a driving thrust for the puncture but a pressure type of thing for that demonstration. They were taking strikes though.