A whole new world of pain...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This thread is dedicated to those small and freaky little things that cause intense excruciating pain. Let us know your story so we can learn and apply them to our training.

Here's my first one...

I was making coffee on saturday morning. My son, who is 1.5 years, had awoken particularly early and I was stumbling around in the pre-dawn light trying to wake up. I felt him stumbling around my feet and clinging to my leg. Suddenly, his little teeth found the inside of my thigh and I was suddenly very awake...no coffee needed. THAT was some pain!!!

upnorthkyosa

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
This thread is dedicated to those small and freaky little things that cause intense excruciating pain. Let us know your story so we can learn and apply them to our training.

Here's my first one...

I was making coffee on saturday morning. My son, who is 1.5 years, had awoken particularly early and I was stumbling around in the pre-dawn light trying to wake up. I felt him stumbling around my feet and clinging to my leg. Suddenly, his little teeth found the inside of my thigh and I was suddenly very awake...no coffee needed. THAT was some pain!!!

upnorthkyosa

Geez that had to hurt alot.
Terry

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
dropped the vacuum cleaner on the top of my foot two days ago. still limping from that one...

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Gemini said:
I live with my mother-in-law. 'Nuff said.

DANG! That gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "pins and needles..."

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I typically enjoy cuts, bruises, and the occasional burst of pain. In recent memory, the most un-fun was walking into a tree branch in the dark. Small stick right in the corner of my eye and it took at least an hour for my vision to clear.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Try preparing some quesadillas while your daughters are talking to you. When you're grating cheese and not paying attention, the moment flesh hits the grater becomes very interesting!!

Frank

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This was a long time ago, but it still makes me cringe.

When they had first come out with the Tri style boomerang, my cousin was in the back yard throwing it and I wanted to try it. I went around the corner of the house and WHAM! Hit me point blank in the left eye. Pain was very intense. Lotsa blood too. Never did get to try the stupid thing...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
I live with my mother-in-law. 'Nuff said.

WOW you are in pain. reminder to send pain medication later today.
Terry:drinkbeer

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This was a few years ago. I was playing with my daughter on the bed before story time. She was about 13 months old and was flopping around learning to walk. She took a couple of steps toward me and I was going to catch her and give her a hug and then she fell...

Her hands, armed with razor sharp baby nails are moving toward my face and she's inside my guard. I feel two fingers nail me in the left eye. Somehow they get under my eyelid and rake down across the surface of my eyeball...

"Pain" doesn't really come close to what that felt like. I was on my back for two days in a dark room with drugs and an eye patch (that I wore for two weeks).

And that is how a baby puts a BB in the ER...

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
WOW you are in pain. reminder to send pain medication later today.
Terry:drinkbeer
Or a bottle of Wild Turkey.

Jeff

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Quite a few years ago I was weeding the garden and I bent down and a sharp pointy leaf caught me in the eye scratching my cornea. It hurt in the beginning but I tried to ignore it and then waves of pain came over me. Had to go to the emergency room where they froze it with eye drops. Wore a patch for two days. Very painful.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting how the eyeball injuries always seem to hurt more. I wonder if it's the terror of the vision sense being disturbed and possible permanent vision damage or the fact that the eye is so close to the brain.

I have a rain jacket with adjustable elastic cords on the sleeves and bottom. I was pulling it out of the closet when one of the crimps got caught on something else in the closet. I was in a hurry, of course, so in an attempt to pull it out fast, the elastic was stretched quite a bit. Two or three yanks didn't free the coat, so I turned and was approaching the closet to see what it was hung up on when it suddenly let loose and the plastic crimp was slingshot right into my eye. I did some deep breathing on the floor there for a good 45 minutes.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another time would be when I was wrestling around with my then-boyfriend.

I was attending manicuring school and was almost done - needless to say, I had glamour-length acrylic nails at the time. We were horsing around, wrestling and the corner of my thumbnail got caught on his clothing. The nail twisted and broke off taking a chunk of my nail bed and finger tip with it.

I never knew that such a relatively small injury would hurt SO MUCH. It was all I could do to keep from throwing up and passing out. The pain started with the finger and then my entire arm hurt. My whole hand throbbed in pain.

Upon my return to school two days later, I learned about the concentration of nerve endings in the finger tip. The old bamboo shoots under the nails torture technique holds new meaning for me now.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My wife was sitting in a chair watching television and my 2 year old daughter picked up a hard plastic toy and at point blank range threw the toy hitting my wife square in the eye!
Whenever my dughter reaches for an object, it now gets our attention.
Although this did not happen to me, it hurt me just seeing it! :)

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Quite a few years ago I was weeding the garden and I bent down and a sharp pointy leaf caught me in the eye scratching my cornea. It hurt in the beginning but I tried to ignore it and then waves of pain came over me. Had to go to the emergency room where they froze it with eye drops. Wore a patch for two days. Very painful.

I did something similar, except it was a thorn. Had my patch for about a week. They should give you a parrot when they hand you the patch.

Jeff

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
sparring with a ten year old girl, i was kicked in the groin.

i was wearing a cup, but...thing had shifted about and one of the boys was actually between the edge of the cup and my right thigh.

holy mother of god.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:

i was wearing a cup, but...thing had shifted about and one of the boys was actually between the edge of the cup and my right thigh.

holy mother of god.

Yowch. That's a good way to get a crushed testicle!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:

holy mother of god.

I actually doubled over reading this...

I was carrying a box of stuff to the apartment in which we used to live. I was barefoot and I was approaching a fire door. Little did I know, but my girlfriend was coming the other way and the door opened my way. I stopped, shifted the box and the went to open the door. My gf opened the door as I was reaching for it and it swung at just the right height to plane over my foot and tear my big toenail off. That hurt so bad, I almost puked. I couldn't even swear...

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
it swung at just the right height to plane over my foot and tear my big toenail off.

Ohhh Mannn! You got me seriously cringing on that one! Toe/finger nail stories are almost as bad as the eye ones.

Latest Discussions