Over 50's clubs reopen after CV 19

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You mean the whole thread isn't the joke? Well in that case, I guess not. ...But I'm a little slow sometimes.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Look, you dont like my sense of humor, you dont like what I train, so why T F, do you read anything I write?
Is Headhunter another user name for Jobo?
Everything I post, you like to argue about, I am fine with that, but if our poles are so far apart, why do you continue to read my posts?
You sometimes write very good stuff on ma, but you are a misery guts, if you dont like what I post, dont read it, simples.
hang on there,, i thought it was mildly amusing. dont drag me into headhunters humour free zone

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So....has anyone understood the joke yet?
zfz4z.jpg

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Well that depends on the individual, I have an American friend, who thought the film "the other guys" was the funniest film ever, me, no, but its not my humour, so rather than dismiss it as tosh, I would say, its not my cup o tea.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well that depends on the individual, I have an American friend, who thought the film "the other guys" was the funniest film ever, me, no, but its not my humour, so rather than dismiss it as tosh, I would say, its not my cup o tea.
Why is everything about tea to you Brits? ;)

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why is everything about tea to you Brits? ;)

I dont know, I like coffee, there is a strong following of tea, almost ritual like Japan, but I used it in an American context, fish n chips, bad weather, cup o tea, push over polititians etc.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So now that you've had a chance to think about what you've done and hopefully recognize the error of your ways, I'm very curious about what you do think is funny. What are some examples of things you think are very funny?

Personally, I'm good going high or low, but really like satire. The Office, Parks and Rec, etc. I grew up watching Monty Python's Flying Circus, Faulty Towers, and Black Adder.

Recently, we've been watching Taskmaster, among other things. I think season 10 is starting soon in the UK.

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So now that you've had a chance to think about what you've done and hopefully recognize the error of your ways

I shall not be appologising for my sense of humour, the British have a vastly different sense of humour to Americans, its a sophisticated thing, take the following photo, Americans probably wont get or understand it, but here is a shoe shop in Brighton (thats in England).
rsoles-kingsrd-sw3-3623_1200.jpg

The Australians will get it. P.s it is a real shop.

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A sense of humour is unique to an individual, like MA, it can have similarities, but it is unique, and just because you do not understand it, does not make it wrong. I have said before, just because Americans keep telling themselves they are the best country in the world, does not make it true. Americans speak English, and for some reason tell the English they have spelt certain words incorrectly (I find that funny), for a country only a couple of hundred years old, how did you become perfect human beings so quickly?

FB_IMG_1596612079974.jpg

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I shall not be appologising for my sense of humour, the British have a vastly different sense of humour to Americans, its a sophisticated thing, take the following photo, Americans probably wont get or understand it, but here is a shoe shop in Brighton (thats in England).
View attachment 23052
I don't think humor is as country-relevant as people seem to think. HH didn't get your other post, and I definitely got this one. Made me laugh. I'm also pretty sure Steve was making a joke with the "recognize the error of your ways" part.

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think humor is as country-relevant as people seem to think. HH didn't get your other post, and I definitely got this one. Made me laugh. I'm also pretty sure Steve was making a joke with the "recognize the error of your ways" part.

If that is the case, I appologise Steve.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
View attachment 23052
That’s not a “sophisticated” thing; it’s dialect. Americans generally don’t use the term ar se (sorry for the spacing, auto-censorship and all). If it was commonly used, then it would be instantly funny to far more of us rather than having to think about it. I’m sure we have many terms Brits (and Aussies, along with others) don’t commonly use and therefore wouldn’t immediately see the pun and find it humorous. It wouldn’t be due to sophistication or a lack there of, but rather being a term that’s not easily thought of.