Out with Hands

windwalker099128 159

Master of Arts
In this clip, is the body method actually based on a visible

compress → release cycle?

Or is it closer to:

settle → connect → arrive

Does effect comes from sinking, alignment, and whole-body connection rather than an obvious coiling or rebound?

Notably, there is no discussion here of striking a bag or any external object as part of developing this quality.

In many Taiji transmission lines—especially those emphasizing listening, neutrality, and whole-body state—
impact training on objects is not part of core development
and may be absent entirely.



"
03-4伸手规矩花絮(双语文本)
你呢这个棍得放在手上。这个棍在肘上。你按照这个路线。这是你自己设的。它这个不要动了。这个手伸出去得到这来。你伸一下试试。对。是不是为了这样,它得落呀?你过去没落。它那个手就到这了。
Make this point on the rod correspond to his hand. And this point on the rod corresponds to his elbow. Follow this line. This is your own setup. Don't move this now. This hand must reach this point. Now, try extending it. Yes. See? To do it like that, it has to sink. You weren't sinking before. That's why its hand ends up here.

你走一走试试。走。你看它走到这个地方。停。定住它。全定死了。哎-可以。把手指头伸直了。你试。是不是在后脚上。再伸一点。但是不要过来。就在这。你试。把我逼出去了。
Now, try doing it. Go. Look, it goes to this spot. Stop. Fix it in place. All fixed. Good. Straighten the fingers out. Try it. Is it on your rear foot? Extend a bit more. But don't let this part come forward. Right here. Try it. That forces me out.

我得到这个功夫。就是洪老师说的清清楚楚的。我没练出来。后来呢,抓着那个压腿那个杆这么往前走,它就晃。我拿个圈放在皮带上,套在那个杆上。然后我就练这个云手,才使上劲。
I got this Kung Fu. It's exactly what Master Hong explained so clearly, but I couldn't get it. Later, I held onto the barre and tried to walk forward like this, but I'd wobble. I put a ring on my belt and also looped it over that barre. Then through practicing Cloud Hands, I developed this power."
 
Last edited:
This is something I've been deeply pondering of late too...

That sense of developing a connection that initially comes through those more obvious mechanisms (coiling/uncoiling, compression/expansion etc), but then doesn't require them to achieve the same result. It seems like it becomes more based on the fundamental underpinning of those expressions, but becomes more about like you said, sinking, alignment, whole body connection...

And I find this hard to explain to people as to the specifics of how to do that, but it comes through really getting quiet with yourself and truly feeling the movements and what creates them.. The whole body connection comes through the experiential..

I'm a karate guy through and through but very much love delving into this haha.. thanks for posting this!
 
In this clip, is the body method actually based on a visible

compress → release cycle?

Or is it closer to:

settle → connect → arrive

Does effect comes from sinking, alignment, and whole-body connection rather than an obvious coiling or rebound?

Notably, there is no discussion here of striking a bag or any external object as part of developing this quality.

In many Taiji transmission lines—especially those emphasizing listening, neutrality, and whole-body state—
impact training on objects is not part of core development
and may be absent entirely.



"
03-4伸手规矩花絮(双语文本)
你呢这个棍得放在手上。这个棍在肘上。你按照这个路线。这是你自己设的。它这个不要动了。这个手伸出去得到这来。你伸一下试试。对。是不是为了这样,它得落呀?你过去没落。它那个手就到这了。
Make this point on the rod correspond to his hand. And this point on the rod corresponds to his elbow. Follow this line. This is your own setup. Don't move this now. This hand must reach this point. Now, try extending it. Yes. See? To do it like that, it has to sink. You weren't sinking before. That's why its hand ends up here.

你走一走试试。走。你看它走到这个地方。停。定住它。全定死了。哎-可以。把手指头伸直了。你试。是不是在后脚上。再伸一点。但是不要过来。就在这。你试。把我逼出去了。
Now, try doing it. Go. Look, it goes to this spot. Stop. Fix it in place. All fixed. Good. Straighten the fingers out. Try it. Is it on your rear foot? Extend a bit more. But don't let this part come forward. Right here. Try it. That forces me out.

我得到这个功夫。就是洪老师说的清清楚楚的。我没练出来。后来呢,抓着那个压腿那个杆这么往前走,它就晃。我拿个圈放在皮带上,套在那个杆上。然后我就练这个云手,才使上劲。
I got this Kung Fu. It's exactly what Master Hong explained so clearly, but I couldn't get it. Later, I held onto the barre and tried to walk forward like this, but I'd wobble. I put a ring on my belt and also looped it over that barre. Then through practicing Cloud Hands, I developed this power."
***I am Not a Taji guy. Have never trained in it but somewhat know the principles (at least what was taught in my Kung Fu training).
In my primary styles (TKD, Kali, Shotokan) it is more about alignment. More about the structure whereas the more 'linkages' that are straight and connected in the strongest alignment, the better.
 
Back
Top