Our Society Changing? Of Course... But Where Is It Going??

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guys I can see evidence that can support the belief in the stagnation of the USA as an economic superpower and as a military superpower. (It’s more about the rise of other countries then the “decline”, on an arbitrary scale of the USA.)

However I see no evidence to support the decline of the American state itself. What evidence is there to support the political system breaking down? You may love or hate the government, but the state will endure.

Again, I restate what is said earlier. Americans are more loyal to the republic itself, then to the political ideology of any country.

My point exactly. Bush didnt fiddle while the US burned and I doubt Obama will either. How we can say "this is the worst point in our history" when we have World Wars, Civil Wars, the Brits burning our cities in 1812 in our past I dont know. What do you think they were thinking? They persevered. And yes..our nation has changed since then and it will continue too. Look at the UK. Think they are the same as they were 500-1000 years ago. Of course not. But they are still there.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My point exactly. the Brits burning our cities in 1812.

Hey that was us!! The Brit’s just helped out a wee bit…..:)

What do you think the White House is white? White wash will do an amazing job covering up burn marks….!! :)

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just try it NOW... ;)

Think about man, Canadians could cause serious havoc south of the border!

Many Canadian know more about your country then ours, (movies, baseball, NFL football, Mcdonalds, KFC), we look the same, we speak the same language, we have the same accent as some mid-westerners, you wouldn’t even know we were there till it was too late!!!

Bahahahahaha….:duel:

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just arm all the Canadians coming over the border to shop eh?

Dude..all you would have to do is close down the strip joints and breweries and we would cave-in. But that would probably wreck your economy.

:duel:

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Think about man, Canadians could cause serious havoc south of the border!

Many Canadian know more about your country then ours, (movies, baseball, NFL football, Mcdonalds, KFC), we look the same, we speak the same language, we have the same accent as some mid-westerners, you wouldn’t even know we were there till it was too late!!!

Bahahahahaha….:duel:

Could cause serious havoc?

Ever see what our hockey barns look like after a game?

What are those strange papers you offer for goods and services - looks like real money, but..... nah, couldn't be?

At least we don't need a translator for you folk, as we do whenever we get Tez and Sukerkin upset... though Ontario stuff - that ain't english, either.

We can round you up any time we like: Arrest anyone at AHL hockey games who says "Eh"..... and anyone on the roads who does a steady unwavering 90 and always in the middle lane...... stake out the malls and Tim Hortons.....

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Could cause serious havoc?

Ever see what our hockey barns look like after a game?

What are those strange papers you offer for goods and services - looks like real money, but..... nah, couldn't be?

At least we don't need a translator for you folk, as we do whenever we get Tez and Sukerkin upset... though Ontario stuff - that ain't english, either.

We can round you up any time we like: Arrest anyone at AHL hockey games who says "Eh"..... and anyone on the roads who does a steady unwavering 90 and always in the middle lane...... stake out the malls and Tim Hortons.....

Hey if you can’t drive 90, you shouldn’t be driving at all!!

I’ll take a Timmies any day, compared to those Duncan Donuts places. I think Tim Horton was killed doing more than 90 though….driving from Buffalo to Toronto.

I cross the border two or three times a week. Paying for stuff with that monopoly money is like going back in time. Come on guys wake up, get with the program, the world isn’t monotone anymore, they invented colour a few decades back! Note colour is spelt colour, not color….

We’re the only ones that understand both the Brits and the Mericans. I think Mackenzie King translated for Churchill and FDR back in the second war.

Hey we can round up the Mericans too, we just say “thank you” and when they reply “uh huh” instead of “you’re welcome”, we just know you’re Merican!!

But please you’re more then welcome to bar hop cross border, drinking age in Ontario is 19, compared to 21 in NY, and our strip joints take it all off, (so I hear….)

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
502pxflushing_toilet.jpg

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Is this thread changing? Of Course...But Where Is It Going??"

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
To me the main point of the article cited in the OP was a decline of civility. The is-Obama-a-liar-or-isn't-he? thread drift is a case in point. Someone pointed out that Joe Wilson would not have gotten press had he not picked that moment to make his accusation.

Incivility gets people attention. In celebrity culture, not only can you reap the benefits of calling this kind of attention to yourself, you can then get on Leno or Letterman for your mea culpa without actually making amends to the individuals your hurt the most.

Decline and fall? I don't know, but I do find the world often less pleasant than it could be.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
A subversive Candadian invasion would never work. You'd give yoursevles away the first time you ordered back-bacon at a restaurant or simply said, "eh". :)

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
A subversive Candadian invasion would never work. You'd give yoursevles away the first time you ordered back-bacon at a restaurant or simply said, "eh". :)

Naw, we have a special ops group trained in such matters as spelling colour, valour and honour without the u's. They've been reconditioned to believe that a rubber is a condom and not an eraser. Thanks to state-of-the-art mind control techniques, they now believe that Polly Holliday from the TV series
b.gif
"Alice" was a hoot. Lest they be found out, they've learned to pepper conversation with phrases like, Awaken the sleeping giant," "I want my country back," and "Damn, I'd love to have a beer with Dubya."

They're also conditioned to act drunk on US beer.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh, and don't forget my favorite, "If you don't support xyz, then the terrorists win!"

But our special op's would have to get use to terrible chocolate, no offense guys, but seriously, Chocolate from the UK is better then Canadian stuff, and Canadian stuff is better then US stuff.

Oh, I'd volunteer to go south and have to eat pulled pork and BBQ'd ribs, thats good eaten.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who's for detaching these posts and making them "The Canadian Invasion" thread over at the Comedy section?

Let's be compassionate and even let the Canadians vote, too.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually the Brits don't think they are where they were a hundred years ago, British society had changed radically, in fact you could say there is no British society anymore with devolution splitting the country up. Ours is very much a multi cultural society now which is not without it's problems. There is no British Commonwealth now, just the Commonwealth with all on equal footing. One thing we are very good at doing is adapting to the times, we now argue whether we are European or not, no one thinks of the empire, thats lost in the dark ages as far as we are concerned. We travel around as EU citizens and look to Europe for much, something else thats argued about here but there's no doubt we are very much in the 21st century and rarely look back which in many ways is a shame but thats life.

Latest Discussions