Dogs fault or owners?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with the overwhelming majority of the comments posted on that site.

The owner deserved to be arrested, and jailed for assault with a deadly weapon. She had every opportunity to simply comply in the first place, and when she opened up the door and gave the order to the dog to attack, then the dog did what it was told, and attacked the officer.

The dog is a dumb animal; it did what it was trained to do, and that was to protect its owner from its own point of view. However, it was the dirt bag owner that twisted this loyalty, and used that dog as a weapon in a criminal manner.

I found it really pathetic at the end, when the owner was crying and saying "I didn't want to be arrested!"

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Poor Dog.

Horrible Owner.

Personally if the guy had hit her the owner in the head while trying to protect the officer I would have called it justified in my books.

I also think 6 months is too little time for the owner. She "warned" the officer and crew and then sent the dog out to them.

Poor Dog having to have lived with such a horrible owner.
Poor people that had been the result of her telling the dog to attack them.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd have to say it was the dog's fault as it clearly has more intelligence than the owner! Seriously though why would she have a dog like that and not be able to control it?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dogs do what they are trained to do - and this dog was trained to attack on command. It is the dog's misfortune to belong to a jackass; this was totally the owner's fault.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Owner fault without a doubt, dogs just obey what they are told to do and trained to do.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Owner's fault all the way and six months is a short sentence for an owner that allowed their dog to attack and seriously injure three people. I would feel differntly maybe about the sentence if it were an accident but with this lady it certainly was no accident.

The sad thing is the people who were scarred severly in these incidents and the dog which was probably destroyed. (I would be shocked if it was not) All this happened because of a terrible owner.

jetboatdeath

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So let me get this correct. Someone can train a dog to attack and that’s ok I agree. But when they use the dog as a weapon, it’s the owners fault. That seems to be the consensus here. Now how does that dog differ from a gun? Every time some one shoots someone else all we see is outlaw guns, it’s the guns fault. Why are we not outlawing dogs in general? Every one that owns a dog is not using it as a weapon. And every one who owns a gun is not using it as a weapon either.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OMG. That is just unbelievable. Definitely the owners fault. The dog was obeying orders. You could see it loved it's "master" and was not being viscious on it's own accord. It was trained to attack, and when given the command it obeyed as any *good* dog would obey it's master.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd have to say it was the dog's fault as it clearly has more intelligence than the owner! Seriously though why would she have a dog like that and not be able to control it?

She had a dog like that so she could control it, and use it to bite people when she isn't getting her way. This wasn't just a case of someone not being able to control her dog, it was a case of someone deliberatly using the dog (and the dogs loyalty) as a weapon.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So let me get this correct. Someone can train a dog to attack and that’s ok I agree. But when they use the dog as a weapon, it’s the owners fault. That seems to be the consensus here. Now how does that dog differ from a gun? Every time some one shoots someone else all we see is outlaw guns, it’s the guns fault. Why are we not outlawing dogs in general? Every one that owns a dog is not using it as a weapon. And every one who owns a gun is not using it as a weapon either.
From what I (and others) saw on the video the owner simply opened up her door and the dog came charging out and went straight to the animal control officer. Did she whisper "sic 'em sic 'em" ? We'll never know, but having (any) dog as POTENTIALLY dangerous as that is like having a gun... you'd better be in control of it at all times. Dogs (large to medium ones) can and have killed people.
Police K-9 officers will tell you that they can call back their animals when need to and will have their animals STAY right by them until the command to attack has been given. Just like a finger on the trigger. The owner of the gun/dog is ultimately responsible. Even if a dog is NOT attack trained and the animal is just aggressive by it's (individual) nature, as some dogs can be, the owner still has responsiblity to have control over the animal(s) to ensure it doesn't hurt anyone.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

If you asked me about Guns and shooting it still takes someone to pull the trigger and that person is at fault.

Your sarcasm is understandable. :)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Have you ever seen the bumper sticker that says "guns don't kill people, people kill people"? Either the dog reacted because it was trained to react that way, or it reacted because it wasn't trained to not react that way - either way, it is the fault of the person who did - or did not - train the dog. When we take pets into our homes - an artificial environment that, no matter how domesticated, their instincts do not understand - it is our responsibility to train them to behave in a societally acceptable manner, and this person did not; either she trained it to attack, or she failed to train it not to attack, but either way, the fault is hers, not the dog's.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Owner all the way. Look, whenever I tell my dog to sit it does. When I tell my dog to jump it does. I feel bad for the animal.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Owner all the way. Look, whenever I tell my dog to sit it does. When I tell my dog to jump it does. I feel bad for the animal.

I agree, it's a shame some people are allowed to own dogs or any other animals for that matter. Although I was being sarcastic when I said the dog was at fault because it had more intelligence than the owner, I think sadly the dog was the more intelligent and certainly didn't deserve the death sentence I assume it got. As others have said it's a dog behaving as dogs do.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Owner fault without a doubt, dogs just obey what they are told to do and trained to do.

Yep...At more than one call I've asked owners to place their dog inside the house to insure officers safety

Police K-9 officers will tell you that they can call back their animals when need to and will have their animals STAY right by them until the command to attack has been given. Just like a finger on the trigger.

100% correct..I've worked very close with K-9 officers..

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The fact that she told the officer that she was letting the dog out and she'd better leave proves she knew the dog was dangerous and released it anyway. the sentance wasn't long enough, unfortunately the dog will pay the ultimate price.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If they used the same stringent backround checks for pets as they did for children there'd be fewer incidents and less animals running loose..

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The fact that she told the officer that she was letting the dog out and she'd better leave proves she knew the dog was dangerous and released it anyway. the sentance wasn't long enough, unfortunately the dog will pay the ultimate price.

Re-reading some of the replies... and read yours Morph... I don't think it's unfortunate that the dog will pay the ultimate price. The dog is ultimately dangerous and attacked a child, it could have very well killed the girl. Dogs like that should be put down because to me it makes them irredeemable and incorrigeable <sic>.
True not all dogs and not all pit-bulls are mean as this one. But once an animal tastes blood, once an animal has been trained to attack MAN, it cannot be trusted e-v-e-r again and should be put down.

People talk about the wonders of genetics all the time and seem to keep forgetting that genetics will play a major role in the long run of how something looks or acts/behaves. Pit bulls were bred for a long time to fight and DIE in the ring. I've never read anywhere if the dogs were used for anything else except pit fighting.
You just don't give a dog (bred) for that your 100% trust. E-v-e-r!