Other Hobbies

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Besides Martial Art what other hobbies do you guys have?

Im into Jeeps and offroading
Heres a few I own or have owned over the last few years:
jeeps.jpg

Picture590.jpg

coldjeep.jpg

IMG00134.jpg

snowjeep.jpg

CIMG0276.jpg

jeepXJ.jpg

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm also a jeeper. Here are the ones I own. The first two are my jeep.
'89 Wrangler, 383 stroker, TH350, Atlas 4-speed TC, full width D44/12 bolt axles, 5.13:1 gears, Detroit lockers, MileMarker 12K electric winch, Poison Spyder cage & stinger, 37x14 SuperSwamper IROKs, Staun internal beadlocks...
Then my '98 Dodge Ram, 408 stroker, 4.55:1 gears, front ARB, MileMarker 12K hydraulic, etc...
Then my '95 TA. Supercharged 383 LT1. 576 rear wheel HP.
The next is my wife & guide in a during a cave dive in Tulum.Then me in the wreck of the C-58. And me in a swimthrough odd Cozumel.

Attachments

• $DCAM1320.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 211
  • $DCAM1422.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 199
  • $DCAM0137.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 197
  • $P5270010.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 215
  • $SANY0016 (2).jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 213
  • $SUE AND MARK 27.jpg
    $SUE AND MARK 27.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 206
  • $SUE AND MARK 22.jpg
    $SUE AND MARK 22.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 199
OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nice YJ my first jeep was an 89 YJ im dying to get out west to hit some of the famous trails before they are closed for good. You got it made for wheeling living out there. I dive too just not as often as I wish to consider it a hobby I did do some a few weeks ago In mexico my wife finalaly tried and liked it so maybe ill get to go more now.Learning to Play thethe guitar is def on my bucket list.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do like to offroad, but I haven't done it in a long time. My first 4x4 was a 1946 Willy CJ2A, and I currently own a 2000 Jeep Cherokee.

I am a photographer, have done it as a part-time business as a wedding/event photographer, but mostly I just enjoy it. I've sold a few magazine covers, commercial advertising, and text books. I just sold this one last week:

$383046_2472444645467_1082932103_32933654_2128057218_n.jpg

I also write perl scripts to please myself, so I do some programming for fun.

And I am a bit of an audiophile; I like good music and vintage sound reproduction equipment. I collect and restore old loudspeakers on the cheap - never pay more than $20 for a pair of speakers.

That's pretty much it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I enjoy writing stories. I do some fabric art, dying and batik. Omar, sounds really cool. My dad has been restoring old string instruments for as long as I can remember. He is primarily interested in pre-WWII era tenor and plectrum banjos, but also like old ukuleles, banjo ukuleles, mandolins and guitars. It's a cool hobby.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
IT; Image Editing; Youtube and Various Livestreams; General Internet Use (Yes, Youtube and Livestreams Quantify having their own, seperate Category. That should speak VOLUMES);

Theres surely more, but not off the top of my head.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I had time I read, crochet, knitted, needlepointed....

Now I am busy.
Mostly at the moment with my kid's marching band and the incidentals.
Which led to several hundred pictures of the band, some actually good, and a growing collection of instruments we are hoping to use in a recruitment drive of sorts to get kids who could otherwise not afford it into the program.

And i have the sneaky suspicion that this will turn into a side carrier in cleaning and restoring instruments, mainly brass....and I can't even play them :(

My other hobby, gardening, is for now restricted to pots, since the soil is so poor, I need a stick of dynamite to plant a pansy...as I mentioned, I don't have the time to work it right now....

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I collect spores molds and fungus

Ok seriously... there's a page somewhere on this forum (likely Outdoors) that has my name on it. Enjoy!

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I collect spores molds and fungus

Ok seriously... there's a page somewhere on this forum (likely Outdoors) that has my name on it. Enjoy!

Come by my house.
I think I have some you have not seen yet.

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
, and a growing collection of instruments we are hoping to use in a recruitment drive of sorts to get kids who could otherwise not afford it into the program.

Thats cool we def need more things to keep kids safe and off the streets. With all the budget cuts in school programs Im sure this will help alot of kids. In my job I see so much waisted talent in kids that given half a chance could have done wonderful things but they were just never given the chance or didnt take it when it was present to them.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thats cool we def need more things to keep kids safe and off the streets. With all the budget cuts in school programs Im sure this will help alot of kids. In my job I see so much waisted talent in kids that given half a chance could have done wonderful things but they were just never given the chance or didnt take it when it was present to them.

Sadly, on this end you see a lot of parents who don't deserve the title:

A little girl bumming rides home - at 10PM or later, after a football game, because her mom is asleep then.
Others telling the Band director that they won't pay the band fees (not can't, mind you) and he can't make them!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hobbies...hmmm....I put my B.Mus. to good use by playing bass in a classic rock cover band with my friends ;)

My serious hobbies are photography and hiking, preferably combined. I'm not a particularly good hiker, but I think I'm turning in to a decent photographer. I love northern New England, esp. the White Mountains region. I love it so much, I'm trying to position myself as a local artisan for the area, trying to get my captures of local images in to local hotels and restaurants. A major restaurant in the region has my work on permanent display and a couple local hotels/inns have been expressing interest. My 'dream' is to promote not just my art but the region/state as well. I'd like to help keep our economy strong, and perhaps someday work with the state's department of tourism.

Its probably not a "typical" track for a photographer to take, but when you do what you love, it feels less like work and more like fun. I'd like to give a shot at having fun with this for awhile. If it doesn't work out, I may try something different. :)

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like playing with cars, I do a lot of photography and I play music. Martial arts takes up most of my time right now though

kegage

Green Belt
Reaction score
I brew, mostly Mead. Still trying to get the Sake going, and I am going to try something on the order of a Guinness Stout in the near future. I also like to cook, and I go to an experimental culinary potluck just about every week. I occasionally do some sewing, mostly Japanese historical garb. I am working on a new complete (head to toe) Japanese armor (Do Maru, Kebiki Odoshi (full lacing), circa 1350ad). I am also starting to gather the equipment and weapons to start Cut & Thrust (similar to WMA). Kevin

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I brew, mostly Mead. Still trying to get the Sake going, and I am going to try something on the order of a Guinness Stout in the near future. I also like to cook, and I go to an experimental culinary potluck just about every week. I occasionally do some sewing, mostly Japanese historical garb. I am working on a new complete (head to toe) Japanese armor (Do Maru, Kebiki Odoshi (full lacing), circa 1350ad). I am also starting to gather the equipment and weapons to start Cut & Thrust (similar to WMA). Kevin

Ohhhh, I am so inviting myself over for a tasting!
Cooking and brewing! I need to dust my pseudo japanese cooking off again!

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
i love to BBQ. I've dabbled in the competitive BBQ local circuit and BBq catering I love it. Nothing better then some ribs on the smoker cold beverage in your hand and good friends.