Other arts you would like to try

hilly1981

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Apart from your main or current art you are engaged in, do you have any other arts in mind that you would look to try in the future or perhaps cannot due to lack of available resources in your area?

For mine, I think Kyusho Jitsu looks interesting. Or even Wing Chun.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BJJ (some passing experience in it), Filipino stuff (some passing experience there, too), Judo (experience way too long ago), Wing Chun (the structural differences intrigue me), western boxing (look ma - no feet!, plus the head movement and angles), Capoeira (I like the stylized movement that leads into the kicks), EPAK (some similar concepts, but a different approach), Hapkido (same reason as EPAK), Shioda's version of Aikido (same reason as EPAK and Hapkido).

I need more lives.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Currently in Seido Juku. Studied a Kyokushin offshoot in my 20s.

I'd like to try judo. I just need more time and money. I could do it, but I'd probably feel like I was half-assing both arts if I did.

I'd love to give Enshin karate a try. It blends Kyokushin and judo in a way. No Enshin dojos anywhere near me.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That does sound interesting. I'd like to see what they did with it.
To my knowledge there's more emphasis on stand up striking than throws, and ground fighting is least emphasized, but they do train all three. It seems like strike, throw, and finish quickly.

Their big competition is the Sabaki Challenge. Here's a highlight video. Obviously competition doesn't encompass everything, and in competition they only have 3-5 sec to grab and initiate a throw...

Edit: Here's a better video...

Last edited:

Martial_Kumite

Green Belt
Reaction score
BJJ looks quite intristing to me, along with Muay Tai. Like the really close and personal defence strategies.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge there's more emphasis on stand up striking than throws, and ground fighting is least emphasized, but they do train all three. It seems like strike, throw, and finish quickly.

Their big competition is the Sabaki Challenge. Here's a highlight video. Obviously competition doesn't encompass everything, and in competition they only have 3-5 sec to grab and initiate a throw...

Edit: Here's a better video...
That's a lot of up-close beating and abrupt throwing. Nice.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Arts I've never had the chance to try: Savate and HEMA long sword.

Arts I've done but would like to do more and don't currently have an instructor: Sambo and Kali

Also I'd like to do some Tai Chi with someone who actually understands and teaches the combative aspects. I've done a tiny bit of Tai Chi, but not the martial side of the art.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
do you have any other arts in mind that you would look to try in the future?
After having cross trained many MA systems, I don't have any desire to "cross train" any more MA system.

If your goal is just to "meet you fist on your opponent's face", any striking art will work just fine.

face_punch.jpg

face_cave_in.jpg

Last edited:

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
After all the positive talk about bjj on this forum I'd like to give that a try at some point, along with any of the Filipino arts. They all sound fascinating.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arts I've never had the chance to try: Savate and HEMA long sword.

Arts I've done but would like to do more and don't currently have an instructor: Sambo and Kali

Also I'd like to do some Tai Chi with someone who actually understands and teaches the combative aspects. I've done a tiny bit of Tai Chi, but not the martial side of the art.
I'll second that thought on Tai Chi. I know an instructor in Arizona who teaches (or did, last I checked) the combat side, and his discussions of the benefits for grappling were intriguing.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After all the positive talk about bjj on this forum I'd like to give that a try at some point, along with any of the Filipino arts. They all sound fascinating.
I think BJJ makes a good cross-training art for more reasons than just the technical aspect. It's good to learn a bit from the common culture of that art, about examining and improving, about being okay with failing on a regular basis.

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Part of my training is in Yoshinkan "Aikido". It really is not Aikido...particularly due to its age. Shioda himself called it SOGOBUDO...a specialty warrior curriculum.

BJJ (some passing experience in it), Filipino stuff (some passing experience there, too), Judo (experience way too long ago), Wing Chun (the structural differences intrigue me), western boxing (look ma - no feet!, plus the head movement and angles), Capoeira (I like the stylized movement that leads into the kicks), EPAK (some similar concepts, but a different approach), Hapkido (same reason as EPAK), Shioda's version of Aikido (same reason as EPAK and Hapkido).

I need more lives.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score

Carl Meeks is here in Louisville, but I think he may have some Lexington connections.
He is a direct student of Yang family and does fighting application.