Oregon trying for most repressive gun laws...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://hotair.com/archives/2013/02/23/is-oregon-writing-the-worst-gun-law-evah/

Creates crime of unlawful possession or transfer of assault weapon or large capacity magazine.
Punishes by maximum penalty of 10 years’ imprisonment, $250,000 fine, or both.
Requires current owners to dispose of or register assault weapons and large capacity magazines.

Any person who, prior to the effective date of this law, was legally in possession of an assault weapon or large capacity magazine shall, within 120 days after the effective date of this 2013 Act, without being subject to prosecution:
(a) Remove the assault weapon or large capacity magazine from the state;
(b) Sell the assault weapon or large capacity magazine to a firearms dealer licensed under 18 U.S.C. 923 for lawful sale or transfer under subsection (2) of this section;
(c) Surrender the assault weapon or large capacity magazine to a law enforcementagency for destruction;
(d) Render the assault weapon permanently inoperable;

(3) The department shall create and maintain a registry for owners of assault weapons and large capacity magazines who qualify for registration under section 4 of this 2013 Act. The department may adopt rules concerning the administration of the registry, including but not limited to renewal and revocation procedures and storage requirements for assault weapons and large capacity magazines.
(4) The department may conduct inspections of registered owners of assault weapons andlarge capacity magazines to ensure compliance with the storage requirements of section 4of this 2013 Act.
SECTION 6. This 2013 Act being necessary for the immediate preservation of the public peace, health and safety, an emergency is declared to exist, and this 2013 Act takes effect on its passage.

Hmmmm...registration, forced sales, home inspections...

All that for weapons that are only involved in 1.2 percent of all crimes, a handful of actual crimes considering the million of people who own the weapon...well under the 5 percent for shotguns and just imagine what they would like to do to hand guns and their owners...

For all the talk I hear from gun control proponents this year about how universal background checks won’t lead to some sort of gun registry, it certainly seems like there are a lot of lawmakers who are interested in doing precisely that wherever they can. (Referring to (3) above that is.) And when it comes to (4) what can we say? We are assured on a daily basis that the authorities aren’t coming to kick down the doors of gun owners, but out in Oregon they are clearly opening the door to unscheduled, uninvited visits to people on the list.

Hmmm...the governor of Oregon is from which gun grabbing party...?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is this a repeat of the idiot lawmaker who claims to not know what's in the bill he's backed 3+ times in his career or a different one? I really can't keep the fools willfully seeking to violate the Constitution straight anymore.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was interested to see that shotguns with revolving cylinder are considered assault weapons. I didn't know there was a shotgun like that, but it doesn't surprise me. However, I think the may be referring to something like the drum magazines like those you usually see for .45 Thompson Machine guns. Some rifles have revolving cylinders that are part of the weapons, and typically only take 5 rounds or so. If there are shotguns with that feature, they now sound like assault weapons.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I was interested to see that shotguns with revolving cylinder are considered assault weapons. I didn't know there was a shotgun like that, but it doesn't surprise me. However, I think the may be referring to something like the drum magazines like those you usually see for .45 Thompson Machine guns. Some rifles have revolving cylinders that are part of the weapons, and typically only take 5 rounds or so. If there are shotguns with that feature, they now sound like assault weapons.

The only one that I can think of, was colloqually called a "street sweeper" in the early '80s, and has already effectively been controlled by the ATF as it is considered as a Class 3 weapon, the same as a machine gun or a true assault rifle (capable of selective fire).

Just so you know, there are certainly shotguns out there with drum mags, as you can imagine they are very bulky and unwieldy, and usually not very reliable.

Latest Discussions