Ordering Japanese Shinken

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
going to order a true Japanese Blade in the next two months and probably going through Rick at Swordstore. Just thought I would check some other options or at least get some feedback.

Thoughts?

Dave O.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It really all depends on what you want at the end of the day. Can you give a few more details on what you're getting e.g. what company, who the smith is, whether it's a custom or a production blade etc?

OP
D

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good questions,
I do not know which of several Swordstore uses. I assumed they were all custom when going through a smith in Japan. In this case since measurements are needed I was going custom. Are there Japanese Shinken by licensed smiths kicked out as standard production? If so I guess that would be cheaper yet still authentic. Sources for those?

Dave O.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Again, it all depends on what you mean by 'licensed'. It's a term that some sites throw around to give authenticity when what is being produced are actually decent quality monosteel live-blades.

If we are talking the really real deal here, then you have to bear in mind that there are only a few hundred licensed smiths in Japan and each one is only permitted to make a maximum of two swords a month. That's not all that many when you think in global terms.

Is your smith going to be one of these? It's easy to tell because you should be getting registration papers from the Japanese Cultural Agency (and because the katana will be extremely expensive).

I've just had a brief look at Swordstores website and their claims look to be on the right lines but I don't have direct experience of them myself.

Alternate sources for you might be:

http://www.jidai.jp/shinken.asp

http://www.tozandoshop.com/category_s/41.htm

Of the two, Tozando are the people I deal with and have great confidence in their work and their customer service.

OP
D

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks,
I know Tozando as well. I feel Rick is a better choice in this since I can talk to him very easily. The other site is a great resource. This is along the lines I am going with.

Cheers,
Dave O.

Latest Discussions