Opinion on school's pricing plan

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's only two instances where I can see someone charging without allowing for people to look in.

The first is that it's part of some military/militia group that's private and needs either some sort of clearance or vouching program to view/participate. The second is if the person isn't really looking at it as a school, just teaches friends/a specific inner circle, and really isn't looking for new students, but is open to you coming to the group classes if you pay. The first one I personally don't have a need to join but I can see how a group might want their secrecy for whatever reason. The second situation, I can see myself going to if the person comes highly recommended by a martial artist I trust, and it's clear that the reason for it is just that they don't see any reason to expand/promote for new members.

Outside of that, if I'm not able to do a trial class, or at least look in, I'm not paying.

gpseymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's only two instances where I can see someone charging without allowing for people to look in.

The first is that it's part of some military/militia group that's private and needs either some sort of clearance or vouching program to view/participate. The second is if the person isn't really looking at it as a school, just teaches friends/a specific inner circle, and really isn't looking for new students, but is open to you coming to the group classes if you pay. The first one I personally don't have a need to join but I can see how a group might want their secrecy for whatever reason. The second situation, I can see myself going to if the person comes highly recommended by a martial artist I trust, and it's clear that the reason for it is just that they don't see any reason to expand/promote for new members.

Outside of that, if I'm not able to do a trial class, or at least look in, I'm not paying.
I've seen two instances of the second situation. These guys didn't really like starting new students - they wanted to work with folks beyond that point, so they only took folks who seemed committed enough to hang around a while. So they didn't encourage folks to watch a class, and never gave free classes. The thought was that folks who would join anyway were more likely to last at least a few months. Both of them had a loophole they knew and saw as a way for folks to get a class without a commitment. Both did regular seminars, and those were open to almost anyone. They didn't suggest it, but expected prospective students to figure that out and attend a seminar to see what they do.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

The second scenario you describe is pretty much what my situation is with my Sifu. We train in his back yard, it is very private, he only has a handful of active students, isn’t interested in expanding, and I never would have gotten through the front door (or even known which door to knock on to begin with) if I hadn’t had an introduction by my previous Sifu, who had been his student. The only big difference is we pay one month at a time, with no obligation beyond that. But no, he does not give free classes and is not open to people wandering in to watch a class.

Latest Discussions