Opening Scene of "Perfect Weapon"

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another note... Everybody and their Grandma, understands center line when it comes to shooting hoops, but suddenly it's all gone, when it comes to center line in a fight. I blame, boxing, and TV. LOL

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't understand what you mean by circles and lines within them. Then again I am no master at center line.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now, forget that, basket, stand in a fighting stance, and alternate your hands like you are throwing baseballs down the center. Those are the circles, and center line is that in-between.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hahaha! I love that movie. Nice to see a full watchable version on the net.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since the thread got resurrected,

Perfect Weapon is now available for purchase through Amazon both dvd and digital.

Georgereyangulo

White Belt
Reaction score
I seem to recall reading articles at the time that suggested that Ed Parker was heavily involved, and gave Speakman a lot of direct, personal training and instruction for the movie. I'd guess, based on that, that the form he was doing there was created expressly for the movie. Also, looking at it again, I get the impression that it was several kata, or drills, not just one.
I think Jeff Spearman looked awesome doing that kenpo form he made ed parker very proud, he is an awesome warrior .

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I checked the previous threads to see if this question was already asked.

In the opening scene of "Perfect Weapon," what kata
is Jeff Speakman performing in the living room?

Or, is it a combination of forms, or is it freestyle?

(I'm new to EPAK)

Thanks.
At 20:58,

"It is actually a combination of two forms that exist in Kenpo karate. The brown belt form number four and the third degree black belt form number six. But in the middle of this form, I stop and I do some Goju-ryu moves that you probably will recognize, because they look so incredibly different from everything else. I did that knowing that Lou Angel would be sitting in a movie theater in Joplin Missouri watching this for the first time. And he would see Goju-ryu moves right in the middle of a Kenpo form. And he would know that that's a salute and a show of respect to him...

It's certainly that. It's Kenpo's history in origin is what you're really talking about. It came from China as I mentioned earlier, then to Japan and then to Hawaii and then to the mainland United States. So we really are a chinese-based system which is why you see those kind of movements."

Scott Adkins
Sep 29, 2020

In episode 17, Scott Adkins talks to Kenpo Karate Master Jeff Speakman about his art, life and the making of The Perfect Weapon.

0:00 Introduction
3:11 Martial Arts Background
5:43 Ed Parker
8:10 Kenpo 5.0
12:08 Hollywood
13:40 Advice for Actors
18:24 The Perfect Weapon
34:24 A Black Belt is Earnt
36:38 The Memory of Ed Parker
41:33 Contractual Difficulties
45:27 Street Knight
49:43 Biggest Regret