The Perfect Weapon Form

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always hated that film. I went to see it on opening night...a couple kenpo legends were there...I liked that it was something SGM EKP worked on, and that they had the dedication at the end...but hated the film. Mostly, I think, because I couldn't stand the actor. Egotist, with a Capital E; newcomer on the scene in kenpo, and passing himself off as the new bomb in kenpo leadership since Mr. Parkers passing, simply because he was in a kenpo flick, with SGM's input. Apparently, he didn't get the memo that there were guys who had beeen in kenpo since before Speakman was born, and they were not arrogant enough to claim any thrones, much less an upstart newcomer with more attitude than skill.

My own perspective.

Hate away,

Dave

R

rmcrobertson

My three favorite moments in a film that, I confess, I enjoyed:

1) Whirling the fingers above the head (a moment of goofiness that I've seen at at least two tournaments now) in the, "Capturing the Storm," section of the Long 6-like form that starts the movie;
2) Destroying the guy's pottery shop in order to save it;

3) The concept of defeating James Lew.

The horrible truth: "Above the Law," was a better flick.

OP
Kenpo Mama

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
My own perspective.

Hate away,

Dave
Hey Dave,

You're entitled to your opinion of the film. Sounds like you've been around awhile, do you have any insights on the form you'd be willing to share, beyond your critique of the film amd its star?

Kenpo Mama :ultracool

OP
Kenpo Mama

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
My three favorite moments in a film that, I confess, I enjoyed:

1) Whirling the fingers above the head (a moment of goofiness that I've seen at at least two tournaments now) in the, "Capturing the Storm," section of the Long 6-like form that starts the movie;
2) Destroying the guy's pottery shop in order to save it;

3) The concept of defeating James Lew.

The horrible truth: "Above the Law," was a better flick.
Hey Robert,

I too enjoyed it! I love your reference to "capturing the storm". When my instructor showed it to me, i said - OH, that's what's he's doing!!!!! I could imagine that this would get kinda' funky looking, if done too quickly or without intention.

I get a real kick out of the pottery shop scene - especially when he turns around to kim, mid-fight and says - "what the hell is going on here?"

Thanks for sharing Robert.

Kenpo Mama (Donna) :asian:

OP
Kenpo Mama

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
I love it when he whips out those double sticks and starts spanking those guys in the factory. Great movie. :whip:

Awesome scene! I love the scene at the end when the propane tank gets punctured and he throws the chain links at the tank and BOOM, goodbye Tanaka!!!

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
I always hated that film. I went to see it on opening night...a couple kenpo legends were there...I liked that it was something SGM EKP worked on, and that they had the dedication at the end...but hated the film. Mostly, I think, because I couldn't stand the actor. Egotist, with a Capital E; newcomer on the scene in kenpo, and passing himself off as the new bomb in kenpo leadership since Mr. Parkers passing, simply because he was in a kenpo flick, with SGM's input. Apparently, he didn't get the memo that there were guys who had beeen in kenpo since before Speakman was born, and they were not arrogant enough to claim any thrones, much less an upstart newcomer with more attitude than skill.

My own perspective.

Hate away,

Dave
Hey Dave, I used to train with Jeff before he made those other silly movies LOL, and he USED TO BE a very nice guy, and very talented. We hung out at Flaky Jakes after advanced class and had a great time, this was around 88-89. I still remember Bryan Hawkin's sister as a brown belt, man could she move. After "The Perfect Weapon" he just seemed to turn into a real *** and seems to have lost most of his abilities from what I saw a couple of years ago. We are definitely on the same page with this guy LOL.

DarK LorD

D

dragongirl

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I think i could watch jeff speakman all day...

OP
Kenpo Mama

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
dragongirl said:
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I think i could watch jeff speakman all day...
Hey there dragongirl! And as a special reward for the great job on your Brown 1 test last night, you should!!!

Congratulations! :partyon:

M

MisterMike

The Perfect Weapon was an attempt to help gt Kenpo even more into the public eye. I thought is was a great movie as far as action movies go, but don't take notes on the moves in place of your formal training.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
MisterMike said:
The Perfect Weapon was an attempt to help get Kenpo more into the public eye. I thought is was a great movie as far as action movies go, but don't take notes on the moves in place of your formal training.
I agree, Good advice!

:asian:

OP
Kenpo Mama

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
MisterMike said:
The Perfect Weapon was an attempt to help gt Kenpo even more into the public eye. I thought is was a great movie as far as action movies go, but don't take notes on the moves in place of your formal training.
Hey MisterMike, I agree that the movie did pretty well at bringing kenpo to the public. I also think it brought people into the kenpo studios for formal training. I don't believe untrained folks would be able to capture all of the kenpo techniques depicted in the film without seeking out formal training - no matter how much they slow the tape down.

Learning the form has been a fun addition to my formal training routine.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wonder why SGM Parker didn't take a part in the film himself? I know he would have been busy at the time the film was made, but for instance the part of the kempo instructor is only 2 small scenes really, I think it would have been great if he has played that role.

Ian.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gee Robertson. We agree on something - at last.

Dragongirl - glad you found it. And yes, you were terrific during your test. It goes to show all your hard work (and worrying, but we can work on THAT) paid off. Glad I could be there with you. KT

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo Mama said:
...defenses against gun, knife & club attacks, and adding some other kenpo classic techs to show that the individual in essence becomes the Perfect Weapon
nice job... looks like we may have a theme

XtremeJ_AKKI

Green Belt
Reaction score
Can anyone convert/post or provide a clip of the ESPN performance Speakman did? I know I'm not the only one who'd love to see the entire " form " from one angle.......

OP
Kenpo Mama

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey all! The Perfect Weapon is on today (check your cable listings for MAX) for those of you who have never seen it, tune in or for those of you that MUST see it again!

Have a great weekend!

Donna :)

Latest Discussions