Would like to know more.

Q

Quick Sand

Hi, I really don't know anything about Kempo other than stuff I read on some of the threads here. It sounds really interesting though and I'd like to know more.

One of my questions is about the sets you all seem to mention. Finger set, long form, kicking set etc. Are these like some kind of kata like thing? A set series of movements or are they completely different? Just curious.

Was the thing Jeff Speakman does at the very beginning of "Perfect Weapon" one of the sets of some kind?

Thanks guys. Unfortunately they don't off Kempo on my university campus so I can't try to study it yet but hopefully some day when I become a real person (read 'not a student') :asian:

OP
K

Kirk

Sets are isolated movements, forms are like kata.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I may be mistaken here but I believe that Speakman does "Mass kata one" at the beggining of the movie. I can't really remember though as I was to busy trying to peel my wife off the screen:shrug:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Quick Sand
One of my questions is about the sets you all seem to mention. Finger set, kicking set etc.

They explore the basics to isolate each individual basic you work on. Blocking, Kicking, Finger, Stance, Striking, Coordination, Staff, Club, Nunchuck (sorry if I left any out).

long form

Short and Long forms are just that, Forms of kenpo. A kata if you will.

Was the thing Jeff Speakman does at the very beginning of "Perfect Weapon" one of the sets of some kind?

That's been discussed on here many times. I personally don't know the form in the movie and many have their own opinions on that form. Perform a search on MT and you'll find more of the posts.:asian:

OP
W

warriorsage

it is a combination of long 4,5,6 with a couple extras mixed in. Someone once wrote that the little ending portion was a tribute to his old Goju instructor (the breathing part). Don't know about that. I too was very intrigued by this form while I was still a TKD student. I couldn't believe that there was actually a system that taught that kind of movement by design. The only thing I'd ever done at that point that even remotely resembled that kind of moving was a form of shadow boxing, completely made up by me and completely ineffective motion, if truth be told.

OP
K

Kroy

Apparently (word has it) that he mixed and matched forms for the sake of the movie, nonetheless, it was pretty awsome. That form is what caught my eye and turned me on to Kenpo. Mr. Speakman
should teach it.:karate:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, I seem to remember that Mr. Parker choreographed much of the movie. Mr. Speakman and Bryan Hawkins worked together under Mr. Parker directly, to put the fight sequences and forms together.

Oss,
-Michael

Latest Discussions