Opening a School

Kwon Bup

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am looking into opening a school were I live. Any recommendations or warnings concerning the process?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am looking into opening a school were I live. Any recommendations or warnings concerning the process?

Can you be more specific? I'd say learn some business practices if you haven't done so before you pull the trigger. Most schools go out of business fast because they skip that step.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm sure you'll get some good advice here.

I'm at work, I'll get back with some thoughts later. But, you know it's a royal pain in the butt running a school. Especially if you love to train. You do know that, ya?

OP
K

Kwon Bup

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Can you be more specific? I'd say learn some business practices if you haven't done so before you pull the trigger. Most schools go out of business fast because they skip that step.
Thank you...I have done some research concerning the different aspects of a successful school. As of now I am looking at suggestions from those who have gone through the trials.

OP
K

Kwon Bup

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure you'll get some good advice here.

I'm at work, I'll get back with some thoughts later. But, you know it's a royal pain in the butt running a school. Especially if you love to train. You do know that, ya?
Yes, I do. My teacher stated that very thing...and then stated that it is well worth it.

Eager to hear your thoughts

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most small businesses fail due to a lack of capitalization. They use up all their operating capital in opening the school (rent, insurance, equipment, marketing, etc.) that they can't survive a slow start and they have to start in the black right away to stay open because the owner needs to meet those expenses and then feed and house his family on top of that.

My quick, one size fits all advice: don't open a commercial front school unless you can afford to keep the doors open for a minimum of six months even if you don't bring in a dime the whole time.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Partner with someone who already has floor-space and insurance. See if you can join an existing school and teach classes there. Maybe try to get into the YMCA or a college program.

If you're good at it, you can eventually so solo.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
K

Kwon Bup

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Most small businesses fail due to a lack of capitalization. They use up all their operating capital in opening the school (rent, insurance, equipment, marketing, etc.) that they can't survive a slow start and they have to start in the black right away to stay open because the owner needs to meet those expenses and then feed and house his family on top of that.

My quick, one size fits all advice: don't open a commercial front school unless you can afford to keep the doors open for a minimum of six months even if you don't bring in a dime the whole time.
Luckly I have a place that I do landscaping on and in lew of pay I worked a deal for a couple of nights free.(local grange). Its not much, But a bigger place than my garage. Figured it's a start.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you...I have done some research concerning the different aspects of a successful school. As of now I am looking at suggestions from those who have gone through the trials.

Find a mentor is really the best I can say. Get involved with the industry at scale and see what others are doing. Hit the SuperShow in Vegas in July, you'll learn a ton.

Past that there is a lot of common themes that all successful schools have, and there is a lot of contradiction about other things. You have to, in the end, put it together in a way that fits with your values.

Oh, and don't listen to broke school owners on business matters. If they are great martial artists listen to them about martial arts, but if there school is broke find someone else to talk about business with, even if you don't care for their martial arts at all. They are two separate pools of knowledge.

OP
K

Kwon Bup

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well for any injury that takes place...still checking out several places for full coverage.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Luckly I have a place that I do landscaping on and in lew of pay I worked a deal for a couple of nights free.(local grange). Its not much, But a bigger place than my garage. Figured it's a start.

You are going to be invisible, so be prepared to spend on advertising to let people know you exist.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If your teaching kids you'll need police checks and you'll need first aid training and all that and you'll need equipment and risk assessments on the place and advertising and you'll need to make sure you have facilities like toilets, changing rooms, parking etc. all the best with your school

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
If your teaching kids you'll need police checks and you'll need first aid training and all that and you'll need equipment and risk assessments on the place and advertising and you'll need to make sure you have facilities like toilets, changing rooms, parking etc. all the best with your school
Actually depending on where you are located you don't need any of that.
All you need is a location approved by your town and a business licence from the town.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Define what your goals are. Is the school ment to be an actual business that makes money, or a side hobby for fun, or somewhere in between? More details will help us give advise and help you stay focused.
Make a business plan.
Don't waste money on stuff you don't need. Sounds obvious but you will be amazed at how people convince themselves that they absolutely need crap they will never really use or need.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A while back, Bryce Allen posted on here about reviews for his book on opening a school (Teaching the Martial Arts). It's a really good book for someone opening..written in layman terms and has written very clearly each of the things you need to focus on for opening a school. Would be really useful to make sure you don't forget anything! Amazon.com: Teaching the Martial Arts: A guide to creating martial arts clubs that make money and change lives. eBook: Bryce Allen: Kindle Store

Also, here's my review of it if you're interested in reading it. Teaching the Martial Arts Review

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

It sounds like you're planning on teaching on a part-time basis, rather than opening a full-time school that you rely on for your income. Is that the case? If so, that makes a lot less risky for you and requires less upfront money. Especially if you don't have to pay any rent! That's a great deal.

I've got to run right now, but I'll try to get back to you tomorrow with some suggestions.

OP
K

Kwon Bup

Orange Belt
Reaction score
All really great advice. I will look into a few of the recommendations.

I train everyday, albeit on my own. I intend for it to be somewhere in the middle of supplemental income and a social opportunity.
So, I would say somewhere in between.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Be prepared to rent out your school (to dance, yoga classes) on some days to bring in some extra income. It might be necessary.