Only clip allowed up

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
sigh
I can't believe that even my thread on trying to stop this craziness resulted in getting locked due to this craziness. When will it end???
I'll check back in a week or two...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LONG LIVE SPORT TKD!
LONG LIVE SPORT TKD!
LONG LIVE SPORT TKD!
LONG LIVE SPORT TKD!
LONG LIVE SPORT TKD!
LONG LIVE SPORT TKD!
LONG LIVE SPORT TKD!( keep in mind , I can take it or leave it!)LOL

Pardon me Sir, but you are a Dork! :) :lol:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
keeping this in mind.... What is your opion on lets say "UFC" you can't tell me that that stuff is doing wonders for the clubs, schools , students and parents. I am the image of my school. I am the reason people come and go. Most students don't give a rats butt about the Olympics and sparring. I think if your loosing students because of the image that Steven Lopez or others are giving, I will bet you have more things wrong with your school, club, etc. then you are willing to admit. And as far as that goes, with all the problems that Pro sports players have...... You must be surprised that anyone is still playing Basketball or football.

I was speaking generally as you asked a question and I answered.
I'm sure my club isn't perfect but we don't lose MMA students to TKD clubs.
It's unnecessary to make every post personal.

ynnad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think people make too much out of what impression Olympic TKD gives to Martial Arts. Quite frankly, I don't think most people even notice Olympic TKD. It wasn't on TV, and what was streamed live online was in the middle of the night. I doubt clubs are losing members because of Olympic TKD.:rolleyes:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think people make too much out of what impression Olympic TKD gives to Martial Arts. Quite frankly, I don't think most people even notice Olympic TKD. It wasn't on TV, and what was streamed live online was in the middle of the night. I doubt clubs are losing members because of Olympic TKD.:rolleyes:

It made front page headlines here, it was on the main news bulletins and was talked about for days by people who had never heard of TKD before. The matches were shown on the BBC main Olympic programmes. and repeated again and again. I believe the Prime Minister even made a comment on it. Millions watched it here and were not impressed.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/olympics/2008/08/taekwondo_needs_to_move_with_t.html

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
It made front page headlines here, it was on the main news bulletins and was talked about for days by people who had never heard of TKD before. The matches were shown on the BBC main Olympic programmes. and repeated again and again. I believe the Prime Minister even made a comment on it. Millions watched it here and were not impressed.
Wow! Why so much press there. It gets nothing in the U.S. I mean nothing. Even most students don't no or care about it as an Olympic sport. Only those few that are elite and trying to make the Nationl Team do.

TKD is like most Olympic sports. Though of as a B sport. The A sports get all the glory. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey and even Soccer. NACAR and F1 even get more press. Oh how could I forget Golf. Even simple running is above TKD or MA in general.

We have a guy who works for a local TV station and even he got shot down when we tried to get an amature profile spot for one of our Jr. Olympic winners this past year. He was told that it was not a main stream sport. They resever those spots for High School main stream sports.

Really insteresting that it gets so much press over there.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Really insteresting that it gets so much press over there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Tez, but I believe the Brits are hungry for a winner in any sport. I follow pro tennis, and you can always count on there being huge pressure every year for someone local to win Wimbledon. You saw it with Tim Henman and now with Andrew Murray.

Out of curiosity, Tez, how much of a household name is someone like Michael Bisping who has achieved some fame in the US due to his UFC accomplishments?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, Tez, but I believe the Brits are hungry for a winner in any sport. I follow pro tennis, and you can always count on there being huge pressure every year for someone local to win Wimbledon. You saw it with Tim Henman and now with Andrew Murray.

Out of curiosity, Tez, how much of a household name is someone like Michael Bisping who has achieved some fame in the US due to his UFC accomplishments?

Europe is very different in their perception of sport. There is more than Football, Baseball and Basketball. You got a chance of a winner, you get press! Just because the US coverage is Teh Suck and still has not gotten much better in the last decade (I used to be an Olympics junky, watching stuff I never heard of) does not mean other parts of the world forget their athletes. Actually, in days past, a successful competitor could spark huge interest in his/her sport and setting wheels for continued success into motion.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
The U.S. use to be about all sports when I was young. I miss the days of Wide World of Sports. That was a great show. We use to get all the Olympic type sports all the time. Not sure when that fell out of favor, but it did sadly.

Anyone else from the U.S. remember Wide World of Sports that use to come on all the time when big world sporting event took place? Jim McKay was the host most times. They showed everything you could imagine.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In Germany they had 'Sport unter der Lupe' a tad before my time but the opening sequence was awesome, considering the lack of visual aides they had back then (nothing like having a platform diver submerge into a camera lense)

Sadly Olympics right now is Gymnastics and swimming. I think that all the other athletes are grossly neglected.
(I bet most are hard pressed to name the gold medalists that did not swim, Germany had huge press on everybody who won...Cyclists, swimmers, fencers and riders becoming household names.)

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
we saw very little tkd coverage over here during the last olympics , but in 2000 in sydney when lauren burns won gold in tkd the sport did surge a bit over here and lauren was a household name for a little while . Now lauren has a gig commentating the tkd during the olympics (when they do actually bother to show something other than swimming).

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Actually, Olympic coverage kicked butt this last time due to the extensive streaming feeds. I saw more tkd and judo than ever before, including some of it live.

As for the video, I wish I could move like that guy in the op. Very smooth.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The UK hungry for winners, you're having a larf!We actually prefer the losers and the underdog.Tennis we want a winner in because like football and rugby we invented it. Actually we did well for a small country in the last Olympics.
Bisping is fairly well known here not just because of the UFC stugg but because he fights here too, he had his pro debut on one of our shows. he'd fought semi with us too before that.Look up his record and you'll see his first pro fight is with Pride & Glory, thats us.

The reason TKD was all over the headlines wasn't for a good reason, it was because the British girl was cheated out of a gold medal, something that was so obvious to anyone with eyes in their head that it made a national outrage, there was other dodgy decisions and of course the Cuban hitting the ref. Altogether TKD did not have good press and is seen as a joke here. I feel for the genuine TKD people here.

We get good coverage of many sports expecially in the Olympics. I don't think there was a sport not covered whether it had any Brits in or not. Normally we get a fair amount of sports programmes, athletics, eventing, gymnastics, cycling, football, rugby league and union, horse racing, triathlons, marathons, boxing, darts, snooker, golf,tennis ( not just Wimbledon) motorbike and Formula 1 racing, show jumping,diving are all shown on the main channels. Here we have had MMA on the main channels too not just satellite tv.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The U.S. use to be about all sports when I was young. I miss the days of Wide World of Sports. That was a great show. We use to get all the Olympic type sports all the time. Not sure when that fell out of favor, but it did sadly.

Anyone else from the U.S. remember Wide World of Sports that use to come on all the time when big world sporting event took place? Jim McKay was the host most times. They showed everything you could imagine.

Watched it every Saturday...It always opened with the agony of defeat guy getting pummeled on the ski slopes...Great Show

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The clip was good. Cory fought Anthony at a qualifier earlier this year. Lost by 2 in the final. Was a good match. They are 1-1 now. Why was he not at Nationals?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now I know you are a good coach. You noticed the left. Good eye Sir.:asian:

I only wish it were true! I enjoy refereeing which means I have to be as observant as the coaches so I am not the one getting knocked out!

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Watched it every Saturday...It always opened with the agony of defeat guy getting pummeled on the ski slopes...Great Show

It was an awesome show! I remember watching WWOS and they showed Aaron Bank's Martial Arts Show at Madison Square Garden. There was a guy named Rudy somethingorother who caught bullets with his teeth. Not sure how that was a martial art, but it was da*n impressive.

Latest Discussions