Ouch!!!!!

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
This hapens to me because I am dumb a...... Yestarday we had a class about kyompa (board breaking) and the only student who brought boards was so macho and bought 1 inch tick prime pine boards, this boards were preety heavy and dense, I must say they were a poem. The other guys simply forgot to buy their boards.

So we had to use this dense, heavy and HARD board to do kyompa, the owner made two efforts with his elbow and gave up pretty upset. Well I must show up how the things must be done and my fist elbow smashed and bounced, the second time I have to put all my effort and the board broke, my elbow sufered some but what the hell I tought, then the other guys wanted a try and told them to break this heavy piece of timber will need a strong kick, something like a back kick or a an axe kick, so I proceded to perform an ax kick using all my power and weight, I broke the board at once but I got a painful bruise in my heel where the heel meet the board even I got a little lump the size of a small bean, offcourse I didi't showed my disconfort and walked like nothing happened.

What an a..... I was, I should leave the boards alone, but you know the macho man inside me told me to break those and show my students I was a tough guy. Now I am walking with disconfort and don't want to listen when my wife ask me What's up honey? did you hurt yourself again? jajajajajaja.

BTW I surely kill those boards :jediduel:

Manny

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Good for you Manny! When you will no longer risk some pain you should stay home and just do knitting while you wait to die. I think that testing yourself is an important part of indomitable spirit. Just try to avoid the damage that keeps your from training for a long time.

Carl

auxiliary

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You have to be very careful with those boards! I had a student who was doing a talent show and the guy at home depot cut all the boards the wrong way so he kept trying to break them against the grain.

Didn't turn out to good for him.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Be careful Manny, I broke the bone in the back of my heel breaking 2 pieces of thick pine with a down spinning kick. My foot doctor said not to break timber for 12 months (minimum) after the break but my 1st dan grading was in 6 months where we had to break with a spinning hook kick. I broke the timber at grading and the pain was worse than anything I have ever experienced. Almost a year later now and my heel still aches at the mere thought of breaking. On the upside though, I have got heaps better at kicking with my less favoured leg due to avoiding breaking with the injured heel.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You have to be very careful with those boards! I had a student who was doing a talent show and the guy at home depot cut all the boards the wrong way so he kept trying to break them against the grain.

Didn't turn out to good for him.

Kinda goes agains the idea of showing talent if you don't at least look at your boards and setup.

Pain is such an effective teacher!

Latest Discussions