Major WTF Events in Tijuana

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There are 2 major WTF Junior events scheduled in the first quarter of 2010 being held in Tijuana, one of the most dangerous cities on the planet these days.

The WTF Junior World Championships in February and the Youth Olympic Games Qualification Tournament in March.

Many people feel that these events should be relocated to a safer location. What are yout thoughts?

My thoughts are that there are risks and dangers at just about any location, but why hold these events in a place that is so risky? I vote to relocate the events.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Give them a chance to get drunk and see nekked women?

I suppose parents and participants will have to weigh the pro's and cons.

Knowing Tijuana only from Frat movies, I have no clue to real or perceived dangers there (I avoid news at all cost) But sometimes you have to check out what the state department has to say and act accordingly, medals be damned.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are 2 major WTF Junior events scheduled in the first quarter of 2010 being held in Tijuana, one of the most dangerous cities on the planet these days.

The WTF Junior World Championships in February and the Youth Olympic Games Qualification Tournament in March.

Many people feel that these events should be relocated to a safer location. What are yout thoughts?

My thoughts are that there are risks and dangers at just about any location, but why hold these events in a place that is so risky? I vote to relocate the events.

So, it's a "good news, bad news" kinda thing? "Good news, the event is close. Bad news......"

Yeah, I'd pass on any event in TJ. It's not a safe place to be.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not only would I not go, I would not let any of my coaches nor players go, and that's a fact..........................................

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope...not at my age now nor my kids.

Now when I was in my 20's (little dumber), I would be there in a heart beat. See what age does to you.
icon7.gif

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nope...not at my age now nor my kids.

Now when I was in my 20's (little dumber), I would be there in a heart beat. See what age does to you.
icon7.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHA, when you are too dumb to know the grave danger you are in? Or think you can stop a bullet with your teeth... :D

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not only would I not go, I would not let any of my coaches nor players go, and that's a fact..........................................

Shoot, if Wade isn't goin' there's no way I'd go! He'd be the one I'd want to have my back!:ultracool

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
On page A15 in the today's Sunday Oregonian (8 Nov 09) it shows a picture from last Sunday of guns and bullets after police arrested 13 suspects in Tijuana with weapons, tactical gear and thousands of rounds of ammo after a shoot out with alleged drug traffickers. The Mexican Media has even made up new words to convey how vicious and over the top the problem has become.

Levanton: the kidnapping of one or more individuals not for ransom but to torture and kill the victims.

Fusilados: to be executed in the style of a firing squad or shot is the back of the head.

Encajuelado: to be dumped in a trunk of a car.

There are more but you get the message, eh? Even when I was younger and stationed at Camp Pendelton we knew not to go there.

So, not only no, but Hell No. Medals are not that expensive if you really really want one and there will always be more competitions to go to.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Would very much prefer that they moved the event!!! If my daughter qualifies??? I will probably stay in San Diego. A spend as little time in TJ as possible!!! A VERY SCARY PLACE!!!

IT WOULD BE VERY NICE IF THEY JUST MOVED THE EVENT ACROSS THE BORDER TO SAN DIEGO.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score

Hellow my friend, yes Tijuana has crime like in the rest of my country, howevere let me tell you there are several hundreds of US citizens who cross the border every weekend to party and have fun in Tijuana without any single trouble.

One of my sambunims Jorge Morales Gallegos who was gold medal in the LA Opnen in poomsae this past febraury lives in Tijuana and he crossed the border to compete in LA.

I see no reason to relocate the tournaments because of your feelings, Tijuana is a safe place to come to compete in TKD.

Manny

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Manny,

"howevere let me tell you there are several hundreds of US citizens who cross the border every weekend to party and have fun in Tijuana without any single trouble."

Honestly, what do you think they are doing there. This partying does not involve Mickey Mouse and a fireworks parade. It involves Tequila, a mule and in many cases illegal drugs. Sadly in todays world it also includes heavy gunfire and killings.

Your friend goes to LA but he does not go compete in Compton either.

Dave O.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a matter that you don't go abroad to places you don't go to at home.

I am sure my hometown has it's share of drugs and murder, but in general it does not happen outside certain neighborhoods. And like Dortiz suggested, those plentiful American visitors do not go there because the beach is nice...they are either too dumb or too smashed shortly after arrival to notice (and return home safe by the grace of God)

Then again the parking lot of a BB competition might after all be the safest place in town on that given day ;)

If somebody would have put the effort in it, I am sure they could have secured (no pun intended) a less notorious location for the competition...it's not like other communities in Mexico do not have the venues or would turn down the revenue gained from it.

I suppose for some folks it will be like home, others won't care and the show goes on....

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK so then what about LA where gangs are firing in the streets to try to kill the other gangs members? drugs,fireams, kidnapings heppens in USA too.

If you are going to compete in the tourney then you are not going to have any problem, but if you go to certain bad places in tijuana certanly you can have troubles, the same aplies to USA.

I think we don't have to put labels on each side of the border, I hope you can go to Tijuana and have a nice days doing TKD.

Manny

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Manny we are not the ones putting label and yes if they was going to have a tournament down in the Garden area of LA I would not go.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK so then what about LA where gangs are firing in the streets to try to kill the other gangs members? drugs,fireams, kidnapings heppens in USA too.

If you are going to compete in the tourney then you are not going to have any problem, but if you go to certain bad places in tijuana certanly you can have troubles, the same aplies to USA.

I think we don't have to put labels on each side of the border, I hope you can go to Tijuana and have a nice days doing TKD.

Manny

LA is huge, and about 90% of it, you could not pay me enough to go there in broad daylight. does that answer your question? Stricktly speaking as a tourist.

I know it's your home country, but honestly, as my dad puts it, traveling all around the world, there are times you don't have to visit certain places. He avoided taking his RV across the Pyreneese mountains when the Basks acted up, and as much as he enjoyed the desert in Egypt, he keeps taps on the situation before he considers a return trip there.

There will be other medals to be won.

Or

in the words of an often quoted warrior: Sometimes discretion is the better part of Valor.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
"OK so then what about LA where gangs are firing in the streets to try to kill the other gangs members? drugs,firearms, kidnapings heppens in USA too."

You are correct! Thats what I said when I mentioned Compton in LA. It has a similar problem as most of Tijuana does and yes, none of us would go. There are great places in Mexico and great places in the U.S.
Tijuana and Compton happen to be two that most folks with families would not want to do any kind of event in.

Its not a slam against Mexico or U.S. but a fear of drug controlled areas that are not safe.

Dave O.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
The difference between TJ and LA and the gangs in both are that in LA they pretty much kill themselves. Every now and then a stray bullet may find and innocent but the for most part it is only the gang members killing gang members.

In TJ they are killing innocent on purpose for some reason as well as each other, and that scares people, as it should.

Latest Discussions