On the lighter side

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since everybody knows so much about TKD what is the five focuses that the Art and sportside is suppose to teach?

I only ask because it is very ever raised while we bricker amognst ourself. I for one am to blame anybody else?

So on the lighter side what has been some of the most funniest things you have seen in TKD? Me it was when a man tried to do a backflip and hit the apple from the sword at a demo and he never ever made it back to his feet, he keep landing on his back without ever making the complete circle after about ten trys he stood up and said to everybody it has always worked before and the holder said yea Master but you have always done it off of a chair. Now to me that was just funny as hell with the look on that Master face when his own BB made that commit. The seminar was a good one even with that happening.

padre

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Where I study, they're broken down into ten more "wordy" teaching principles that I'm currently memorizing for my "high white" test.

To me they come across as almost a Confucianism For Dummies.

I will be loyal to my country.
I will honor my parents.
I will love my family and cooperate with them.
I will be faithful to my friends.
I will respect my elders and care for my juniors.
I will establish good relationships with my teachers.
I will treat all living things with care.
I will never seek advantage of those who are weaker.
I will only use Tae Kwon-Do to benefit myself and others.
I will always finish what I start.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since everybody knows so much about TKD what is the five focuses that the Art and sportside is suppose to teach?

I only ask because it is very ever raised while we bricker amognst ourself. I for one am to blame anybody else?

I'm not sure which 5 items you're referring to - here are some options:

Tenets
Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance
Self Control
Indomitable Spirit

Student Oath
I shall observe the Tenets of Taekwon-Do
I shall respect my instructors and seniors
I shall never misuse Taekwon-Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
I shall build a more peaceful world

Hwa-Rang Warrior Code
Be loyal to your king
Be obedient to your parents
Make a friend in trust
Never retreat in battle
Make a just kill
(and can you match these to which tenet is based on which part of the code?)

Five disciplines of Taekwon-Do
Travel
Mountain climbing
Cold showers and baths
Public service
Etiquette

Five parts of the Physical Composition of Taekwon-Do
Fundamental movements
Forging of tools
Patterns
Sparring
Self-Defense

I lean toward the last one, myself... but as I said, I'm not sure which one you're looking for, or if what you're looking for is even one of the sets I listed.

So on the lighter side what has been some of the most funniest things you have seen in TKD? Me it was when a man tried to do a backflip and hit the apple from the sword at a demo and he never ever made it back to his feet, he keep landing on his back without ever making the complete circle after about ten trys he stood up and said to everybody it has always worked before and the holder said yea Master but you have always done it off of a chair. Now to me that was just funny as hell with the look on that Master face when his own BB made that commit. The seminar was a good one even with that happening.

Um... I have several, but the best one would have to be when I saw a mall demo, the high point of which was supposed to be a break with a flying side kick over 8 people crouched on the ground in front of the board holder, breaking 8 boards. The person doing the break tried it, missed, took a board off, tried it again, missed, removed one of the people on the floor... kept going until he had 3 people and 4 boards - and impressive break, but it looked pretty stupid compared to what he started with; if he'd started there it would have been good, but instead, he looked like an idiot.

I also remember when I was in college and had just started TKD, an independent instructor who taught on the campus held a demonstration, and as part of it, wanted a white belt to break with a side kick. The problem was, the white belt didn't know side kick - he was (sort of) taught it in the course of the demonstration. It took this poor guy 15 tries, with his instructor (a IV Dan) and his instructor's instructor (a VI Dan) changing something every time he kicked. Although in retrospect, that wasn't really funny... pathetic and sad, but not funny.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tenets...at some schools...
I will honor my Grand Master and blindly do whatever he says
I will pay for attendance even though I am teaching for free 5 days a week
I will accept verbal abuse for no reason
I will fool myself into believing that 1 steps can teach me how to defend myself
I will never tell others that my Grandmaster smokes 3 packs a day and has a bong
I will pay to open another school for my GM and run it for only 10 dollars an hour
Sound familiar to anyone????????
Oh Yeah, I almost forgot..
I will pay 1000 dollars for a certificate that only costs 70 dollars to order

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
On a funny note...
I once saw a KW 9th dan hit a piece of metal 15 times trying to break it. It was an old die cast wok cover about 1 cm thick. He hit it until he bled and then went to the hospital with multiple fractures.
But seriously...
the tenets are and have been the same since the ITF invented them :
Courtesy
integrity
perseverance
self control
indomitable spirit
I personally know several Korean GM's who need to remember them

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Tenets...at some schools...
I will honor my Grand Master and blindly do whatever he says
I will pay for attendance even though I am teaching for free 5 days a week
I will accept verbal abuse for no reason
I will fool myself into believing that 1 steps can teach me how to defend myself
I will never tell others that my Grandmaster smokes 3 packs a day and has a bong
I will pay to open another school for my GM and run it for only 10 dollars an hour
Sound familiar to anyone????????
Oh Yeah, I almost forgot..
I will pay 1000 dollars for a certificate that only costs 70 dollars to order

Wonderful way to keep it light hearted...

One of the funniest things I've seen in Taekwondo is something I get to see reoccur once in a while. Whenever a student forgets their belt at the studio the master ties it into a knot. Then every instructor and black belt that sees the belt pulls the knot tighter and tighter. It's sad but I love the shocked look on students' faces when they see the knot and they take twenty or thirty minutes just undoing it.

Latest Discussions