Spiritual side of TKD

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who here trains in the spiritual side of TKD I mean like always and what is it you do that makes it spiritual to you?

I ask because I was just talking to another person and he said he was starting his spiritual side of training next week and it consisted of a six week journey and yes I ask but he does not know what it is he is going to do except learn something spiritual. Has anybody else in TKD done this?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Who here trains in the spiritual side of TKD I mean like always and what is it you do that makes it spiritual to you?

I ask because I was just talking to another person and he said he was starting his spiritual side of training next week and it consisted of a six week journey and yes I ask but he does not know what it is he is going to do except learn something spiritual. Has anybody else in TKD done this?

I've never done anything separate from my regular training, which in my opinion feels spiritual. I feel spiritual when I train outside, when I push myself nearly to the point of collapse, and when I am so focused on training that I lose track of time.

Miles

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I will update this from week to week from what he tells me and try to figure what it is they do to make it spiritual.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
My first three MA instructors (two Taekwondo, one Hapkido with Taekwondo overtones) were all Christians and there was a marked lack of Spiritual component to the training.

turtle

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to your updates too. I've never found my training to be overtly spiritual. There have always been "internal" aspects to it but I've seen them more as self-development type things, like being able to relax more easily or having a stronger mind/body connection.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anything can be spiritual (for some value of "spiritual") if you do it in the right way. As my Shaykh said, even searching for pr0n in the Internet can be spiritual if it's truly done for the glory of G-d.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Zen is very important in Seido, and there are weekly classes in meditation given at the Honbu by Kaicho Nakamura himself, but I've never seen anything similar in my TKD training.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey it's pretty cool they can put a fixed time limit on a spiritual journey like 6 weeks. I wonder if they get a contract like those places that promise to make you a BB in so many months. "Enlightenment or double your money back!"

Marchfly

White Belt
Reaction score
I'd imagine the Spiritual side of Taekwondo will encompass the meanings behind the Taegeuks and the Poomsae systems, The 8 Palgwe trigrams, and the origin of TKD, Tekkyon, Japanese influence, Ying and Yang.....

Also TKD philosophy endevours to promote it's national origins.

I believe that Spiritual completeness relies on the self-discipline of the Body and the Mind. Figuratively speaking, The Spirit is as a 'Sitting Duck', at the mercy of Human Willpower. The only way to achieve SpirituaL happiness and peace is to discpline the Mind and Body.

But please feel free to debate, disagree .... whatever.

Latest Discussions