On studenting

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Observation: sometimes your instructor speaks quietly to see how willing you are to listen.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Observation: maybe you are not being ignored by your instructor. Maybe he or she is waiting for you to do what you were asked.

Reactions: JP3
OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Observation: perhaps the problem is not what you know, but what you think you know.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've found that the more I do on my own and bring to class, the more that Sifu is willing to teach me.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Observation: maybe you are not being ignored by your instructor. Maybe he or she is waiting for you to do what you were asked.
That or maybe he is using peripheral vision. sure he/she is talking to the students on the other side of the room but that dosn't mean when you mess up it will go unnoticed. I know when I or someone else does. he will say start over and usually telling you what you did wrong. Other times simply letting you figure out what you did wrong on your own.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll add one...

Observation: When your teacher is explaining a technique to a new student (or any other student), listen. Even if you've been doing that technique for decades. You could very well pick up on a subtlety you've been missing all this time.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll add one...

Observation: When your teacher is explaining a technique to a new student (or any other student), listen. Even if you've been doing that technique for decades. You could very well pick up on a subtlety you've been missing all this time.

Absolutely agree with this.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Observation: sometimes your instructor speaks quietly to see how willing you are to listen.

Or he is Northern Chinese

Or he is from North China and they simply do not talk much.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
CMA perspective. The Shifu always knows better than you what you should be learning and does not much care what you want to learn.
Xue Sheng mean student yes? One can be perpetual student?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've found that the more I do on my own and bring to class, the more that Sifu is willing to teach me.
This is my favorite part of teaching. When a student does some thinking for themselves, I can build a lot more on that than on them waiting for me to impart wisdom.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Observation: Sometimes your instructor only wants you to do it exactly like he shows you until you actually understand it.

Corollary: Until you actually understand it, you should do it exactly like your instructor showed you.

Corollary to the Corollary: You don't understand it as well as you think you do.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Observation: The more that you ask a "personal" question, the more detail that you will learn.

A: How did you handle that challenge fight?
B: I used my knee to strike on the inside of his upper leg. When he stepped that leg back, I then ...

I had learned a good "set up" just from words and not from action.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions