Ok, Then

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't want to PM anybody. I actually wanted a slight "semi public" discussion. In one of the threads I created within the last day I have a small problem with.

I personally don't post on MT or on KT much. Not really too many threads have interested me. However, on KT I frequent the forum many times during the day but rarely post. On MT I get on a couple of times a week.

If you look in my history you will see I became a member of MT back in March of '02. Not to terribly long after it's existance on the 'net. When there were only a few hundred members. Even recall when we had a thousand members. During that time I was also a supporting member twice here on MT as well as two for sure, possibly 3 times on KT over the years.

In 8yrs. & 3 months I've never really had much to advertise. As of now, I have never hosted a seminar that was going to go out to the masses. On June 20th, for the first time Mr. Planas will be conducting a seminar at the gymnastics facility I teach at. To me, this is a huge deal for me, my area, & to the art. The numbers in attendance will be based on whether we can have him back anytime in the future.

My threads have been deleted. All of them I have posted in the last 3 weeks. I understand you have rules & so on but to me it's a little disheartening.
Jason Farnsworth

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jason, -3- advertisements, that you posted in VIOLATION of our posted policy were deleted. Nothing else.

The policy requires a payment for advertisements, which is what you posted.
OR
That the poster be a -current- supporting member.

Go into your local supermarket and tell them "I used to have your discount card back in 2005, but not anymore. You should give me a discount today." Let me know if they cut you a break. Go into Borders and tell them you don't have their membership card, but you should get the special because you shop there all the time. Let me know if that works.

You are a long time member. You haven't contributed much in a long long time. You said as much. Now, you want to use this site to advertise an event that will put money into your and Huk Planas's pockets. Hey dude, how about -my- pockets so I can keep this site running so you have a place to advertise your -next- event?

Is $22 a year really that much? Does a Huk Planas event draw so few people that you can't cover that meager amount of advertising? How can Huk get time off his day job then to do all these seminars and camps?

Yes, I'm being a jerk here. Because the rules go for everyone, have been posted for months. In fact, the Kenpo area specific rules were first posted in 2002. As you said, you've been here a long time. I'm sure you've read the rules right?

Here's the bottom line:
You want to advertise your event you will either be a Supporting Member, a Gold Key Member, an Advisor or Staff. Otherwise, you can pay the advertising rate.
$22 a year, unlimited ad posting
-vs-
$200 PER listing.

And anyone who wants to say "gee Bob, that's not fair", well, unless you're paying the $500+ a month to maintain the server, take care of the back end, cover domain registrations, software upgrades and ulcer pills I might change things. Until then, advertising here is paid for. It keeps the site up and running so you have a place to advertise your next event.

Don't like it? Go try advertising on MartialArts Planet (50% of highest rate listed, 25% for supporting members), Bullshido (can run into the hundreds), and so on. $22 a year gets you a hell of a lot here.

Last edited:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some other points:
MartialTalk gets conservatively about 150,000 visitors every month. I say conservatively as some months we see over 500,000 visitors. That's visitors, not "hits". Our hit count is over 10 million per month.

Kenpotalk adopted the same ad policy on June 1st. Just so you know. The rates a lower there, but the base policy's the same. Both sites require you to be a supporting member to attach anything or upload images. Been that policy since at least 2005, probably earlier.

Any questions?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I personally don't post on MT or on KT much. Not really too many threads have interested me. However, on KT I frequent the forum many times during the day but rarely post. On MT I get on a couple of times a week.

Bob addressed the main point of your post here, but this caught my eye. IMO, if you like the forum, then why not start topics that you'd like to discuss, ones that interest you? I'm sure they'd spark interest in others as well, which leads to good debate on the forum. :) Trust me when I say, its not always easy to come up with new threads, or ones that'll spark a ton of interest, but we have to start somewhere. :)

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also, keep in mind that if we hung out a billboard for free advertising (small gatherings and clinic included), there wouldn't be room for interesting threads - because where do we draw the line between a real advertisement and spam? or someone who signs up to make one post for a seminar?

OP
jfarnsworth

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jason, -3- advertisements, that you posted in VIOLATION of our posted policy were deleted. Nothing else..
Like I said, I understand you've got rules & whatnot for the site.

You are a long time member. You haven't contributed much in a long long time. You said as much. Now, you want to use this site to advertise an event that will put money into your and Huk Planas's pockets. Hey dude, how about -my- pockets so I can keep this site running so you have a place to advertise your -next- event?
I rarely post due to time restrictions & family life as well. I have my 7:30-4:30. From there I start teaching from 5 o'clock on. I try to visit with my kids & wife.

As far as Mr. Planas goes, there will be no money in my pocket.

I have stated many times over the years how well you've done with the site. Even on KT a week or so ago. I don't do enough on either site to warrant having a paying membership. Like most, my life is a little complicated. My wife doesn't work. She really can't due to the kid's ages. I have a son with physical issues. His needs use up any "extra" money we have. In our home there is no extra money. I teach only 3 days a week so I can at least be home sometime with the family. At current time there are 8 adults & 6 kids that come to me for lessons. So if anyone were to think I roll in the cash they are sadly msitaken.

Is $22 a year really that much? Does a Huk Planas event draw so few people that you can't cover that meager amount of advertising? How can Huk get time off his day job then to do all these seminars and camps?
The site is worth the money if one wants to commit the time. I just don't have it. As far as the seminar goes. I'm figuring the people who will show up is going to be our area kenpoists. Maybe 20 or 30. My hope was that more people who has never had the chance to work with him could if they were within driving distance. Our group has done a descent job with phone calls, emails, & flyers but if people in PA, KY, IN, WV, MI knew he was in relatively closely they would come.

This seminar is again, as I stated a big deal. It would be nice to be able to have him back next year if possible but if the numbers aren't on the floor for him to teach, it's not worth his time.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Then don't buy the membership to participate, buy it for unlimited ad space. If you have 3 events you want to promote in the next 12 months, that knocks the price down to $7 per event. Promote an event a month, that's less than $2 per event.

Latest Discussions