Oh, good, I can drink the wine then...

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What is this 'wine' I hear speak of here?!

Forget the Animal Rights wackos (feed them to tigers and have done with it) - don't go spreading propaganda about what is or isn't good wine without consulting reliable sources first! :p.
Yellow Tail is a good quaffing wine but not in the same league as Wolf Blass IMHO. Wolf Blass normally buys in good quality fruit and is a master blender. Yellow Tail is a different area which has a lot of irrigation and heavy yields. That's not to say they don't make good wine, just that you don't normally get to see the really good stuff readily available. :asian:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yellow Tail is a good quaffing wine but not in the same league as Wolf Blass IMHO. Wolf Blass normally buys in good quality fruit and is a master blender. Yellow Tail is a different area which has a lot of irrigation and heavy yields. That's not to say they don't make good wine, just that you don't normally get to see the really good stuff readily available. :asian:

I think that could be said about wines from just about any region. There are many good finds that might take a trip to a specialty stop instead of the corner store that simply don't compare to the more mass-produced labels.

That being said, for a commonly available wine, I'd personally reach for a Yellow Tail over a lot of other labels, including most of the high-volume stuff from here in the US. :asian:

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am more of a 'Think Global, Shop Local' kind of gal, but that Muscadine from around the corner (no, really, just down the street from me) takes a lot of getting used to.

Then I ended up drinking the cheap stuff from Oz, I think Argentina and Chile was among the stuff (not bad, don't tell nobody it was only 3 bucks) and assorted other places. But I guess when you live thousands of miles away froma decent wibery, one can't be too choosy (and frugal).

But I really only drink local tab water....filtered by me or the bottler. ;)

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, Viva la microbrew revolution! :)

I live in an area, appropriately labeled the 'Happy Valley', where locals are busily producing local wines, beers, mead, etc.

Support your local farmer...it's 'win-win'. :)

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, Viva la microbrew revolution! :)

I live in an area, appropriately labeled the 'Happy Valley', where locals are busily producing local wines, beers, mead, etc.

Support your local farmer...it's 'win-win'. :)
Well I live in the Yarra Valley and some of my friends make some of Australia's finest wines. I humbly admit that as a wine lover, I am truly spoilt. :drinky:

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You can read the wine spectator and wine enthusiasts which rate wines.
Yellow tail is better then most but its rated 90 or so points i have seen higher rated wines cost less or the same.
A lot of times people assume a name brand is better but its usually not.
Jose Cuervo tequila is one of the most popular brands but a cazul 100 has a 95 point score vs Jose average 88.
And cazul is a san Francisco silver medal winner.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One thing that I always like to bear in mind when talking about wine is the old adage:

"How do you make a small fortune in the wine trade?"

"Start with a large one!"

Wine makers of quality are people of passion. They make wine because they love it and they want others to love it too. If someone is making a lot of money at it then they are likely 'doing it wrong' i.e. what they are producing has had the odd corner cut here and there.

It's also a very cyclical product, much affected by the global climate; so where the 'best' wines come from varies over time.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can read the wine spectator and wine enthusiasts which rate wines.
Yellow tail is better then most but its rated 90 or so points i have seen higher rated wines cost less or the same.
A lot of times people assume a name brand is better but its usually not.
Jose Cuervo tequila is one of the most popular brands but a cazul 100 has a 95 point score vs Jose average 88.
And cazul is a san Francisco silver medal winner.

well, for a brand the product has to taste the same from year to year, regardless.
So you have to mix and match to fit the brand.
That's why the name brands rarely have a vintage, neither by year nor location.
it's ok. It works for the everyday drink or for the entry level aficionado. If one cares, they can explore the off the beaten track varieties. The best champagne I ever had - and I mean the REAL deal - was in a little mom and pop vinery, outside of Reims. We got a tour of the cellars 'watch your step here, don't bump your head there' and then we got to sample. hmm delicious! (and it still is no match for the desert wine made from the champagne grapes, 2nd harvest...Ratafia (I think) it's rare, since most of the grapes go into champagne. We hosted their niece in a student exchange)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I find some of the stories behind many of the wine makers to be just as fascinating as some of the wines themselves.

I had one bottle that was made by a winemakers originally from Maine, they moved out to California to grow grapes and make a wine specifically to go with lobster. I like how they think (and drink)! :D

A local lady who was/is a successful Boston attorney started a vineyard almost literally right in my back yard (http://www.labellewinerynh.com) and makes some of her fabulous wines out of fruit or fruit-and-grape pairings.

Gotta echo what Harlan says -- support your local farmer. There are lots of delicious things in many of our corners of the world :)

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gotta echo what Harlan says -- support your local farmer. There are lots of delicious things in many of our corners of the world :)

Yeah, but I won't drink it if it's no good. I like the local wine, but it's not for every day....

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's why The Gods created...beer! (harlan dons Viking helmet)
True, but the great unwashed would be even more revolting if you didn't give them something to drink! <takes up the sword>
:p

Latest Discussions