Oh, good, I can drink the wine then...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://archives.collegian.com/2010/02/25/yellow_tail_wine_company_turns_tail_on_hsus/

I don't have a lot of principles that make me act on them. Most of the issues are sad, but rather minimal (like my 'favorite' craft store in town)

However, a couple of groups have come close to earn my 'hate' which is extraordinary, since I don't hate. Too much trouble and energy.

It was a while back that I heard the makes of Yellow Tail wine supported Animal Rights groups. So I have stirred clear of their product.
Now, Dear Husband brought home a bottle. Damn, I think, I should return it (ok, I am aware that the one bottle in 20 years is not going to tip the scale...but I do have principles!)

So I googled,and low and behold, seems the company has been shown the light.

It pays to be informed and to make yourself heard.

and after all, a good red wine goes fantastically with a piece of red meat and cheese! :)

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm guessing that the company donated the money in the first place, thinking that it would go to the animal shelters (the real human societies), and not some political faction that bathes in false statements, funds misappropriation, etc. If that's the case, then I'd chalk it up to someone simply not reading the fine print... They wouldn't be the first to be misled:

http://www.iowacornstalk.com/2012/06/another-yellow-fail-bank-of-america.html

On another note, for an inexpensive wine, it's actually pretty good, as both a drinking wine, and as a cooking wine (I use their carbernet to make braised beef short ribs).

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bank of America is crooked anyway!

I would not exactly call Yellow tail cheap....
I reserve that for the Oakleaf I usually drink. And the Franzia box, that is currently inhabiting my counter. :)

Both are good, not spectacular, but ok. And since I drink it, I use it in cooking, too. :D (the secret to my chilies)

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I stick to single malt, and disposable income goes to my local, non-kill kitty shelter.

Keeps things simple. :)

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wait... what's wrong with the Humane Society?

ah, my friend....let me tell you:

the HSUS is a national organization with a globe trotting prez who does not do a heck of a lot for animals.
Informed circles call them PETA in suits.
people working 'in the trenches' have numerous accounts on how these folks (the HSUS) love to sweep in, pose for a lot of pictures, collect donations, then leave, with the money in hand, not doing a lick of the work. Hurricane Katrina was a prime example. Reportetly lots of crates and pet food was simply tossed out by them

To add insult to injury, the good caring people do send them their money, solicited by glossy mass mailing or those sappy TV commercials, thinking they are supporting the local humane society, the one that actually runs the shelter and picks up the critters....but au contrare....it is not the case.

The Prez of the HSUS is really an Animal Rights person, just with better manners than the PETA folks. But they are in favor of vegan diets for everyone, and no pets being owner ever.....

So yeah, they are bad.
(and the incomparable Ms Lerner of IRS infamy is reportedly an active member of said club, using her powers to hinder not only conservative groups, but also organizations the HSUS does not like much. Several Congress men have raised questions about her and the HSUS....it should be interesting how this pans out. While I am thinking the primary charges against her are more grievous, letting organizations like the HSUS get a back door foothold in the political arena is very damaging. Their agenda has far reaching implications, past the lack of meat on the plate!)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
ah, my friend....let me tell you:

the HSUS is a national organization with a globe trotting prez who does not do a heck of a lot for animals.
Informed circles call them PETA in suits.
people working 'in the trenches' have numerous accounts on how these folks (the HSUS) love to sweep in, pose for a lot of pictures, collect donations, then leave, with the money in hand, not doing a lick of the work. Hurricane Katrina was a prime example. Reportetly lots of crates and pet food was simply tossed out by them

To add insult to injury, the good caring people do send them their money, solicited by glossy mass mailing or those sappy TV commercials, thinking they are supporting the local humane society, the one that actually runs the shelter and picks up the critters....but au contrare....it is not the case.

The Prez of the HSUS is really an Animal Rights person, just with better manners than the PETA folks. But they are in favor of vegan diets for everyone, and no pets being owner ever.....

So yeah, they are bad.
(and the incomparable Ms Lerner of IRS infamy is reportedly an active member of said club, using her powers to hinder not only conservative groups, but also organizations the HSUS does not like much. Several Congress men have raised questions about her and the HSUS....it should be interesting how this pans out. While I am thinking the primary charges against her are more grievous, letting organizations like the HSUS get a back door foothold in the political arena is very damaging. Their agenda has far reaching implications, past the lack of meat on the plate!)
Ah. Okay. But if I support my local Humane Society shelters, I'm okay. Right?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah I use to avoid Ben and Jerry's ice cream due to them supporting a cop killer but they have long been sold off to a larger company Unilever I think

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah. Okay. But if I support my local Humane Society shelters, I'm okay. Right?

Yes. The local guys.
(however, some of the local guys are in bed with them, you can tell when you read 'Wayne Parcel' on the website)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is this 'wine' I hear speak of here?!

Forget the Animal Rights wackos (feed them to tigers and have done with it) - don't go spreading propaganda about what is or isn't good wine without consulting reliable sources first! :p.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Forget the Animal Rights wackos (feed them to tigers and have done with it) - don't go spreading propaganda about what is or isn't good wine without consulting reliable sources first! :p.

I'll have to send you a bottle so you can give it a proper analysis. Now...which of the common varietals is your fave? :D

I like Yellow Tail....I generally enjoy Australian reds as it is, and Yellow Tail is distributed widely enough that it can be found even in stores whose idea of wine is headache-inducing dreck.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

^_^

once I finish my cheap box I will report to you about the quality of the bottle of Yellow Tail Cabernet Sauvignon. :)

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For whites, you can't go far wrong with a Sancerre. A bit expensive but wonderful on the palette and glorious with a good steak.

I am also partial to chardonnay (Wolf Blass Yellow Label (Australia)), sauvignon blanc (Marlborough Cloudy Bay (New Zealand)) and pinot grigio (Campanula (Hungary)) but vineyard and year matter a great deal with those whereas it is really hard to do a 'bad' sancerre because they won't ordinarily sell it if it is not good.

For reds, I have to steer clear mostly for they give me migraines (or used to) but I can heartily recommend merlot for taste and also highly regard El Bombero and Gran Bombero - both are small run spanish wines but potent (if a little expensive). Prices have come down for the past few years as I believe the weather has affected the quality (the last case I bought my beloved was less than £100 whereas pre-2010 vintages were above £15 a bottle).

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wait... wine doesn't usually come in a box & plastic bladder combo?

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know it's a petty, mean-spirited, nationally bounded and small minded prejudice but wine that comes in a box ... shudders. I accepted the screw cap revolution, for it brought advantages and stopped the extinction of the cork tree, but foil bladders ... NO! So far and no further! :lol:.

I know it's purely illusory but I am convinced that wine tastes better out of my genuine Jaguar lead crystal than out of 'ordinary' glasses :D.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
El Bombero update - I have taken it upon myself to risk a glass of the 2011 and it is definitely below par :(. Flat and overly dry; it's all front of tongue and has lost that wonderful back of the palette roundness that previous years had. We have half a dozen bottles left - I might lay them down for a couple of years and see if they improve in the rack.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you could teach a class on wine tasting, Suke :)

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know it's a petty, mean-spirited, nationally bounded and small minded prejudice but wine that comes in a box ... shudders. I accepted the screw cap revolution, for it brought advantages and stopped the extinction of the cork tree, but foil bladders ... NO! So far and no further! :lol:.

I know it's purely illusory but I am convinced that wine tastes better out of my genuine Jaguar lead crystal than out of 'ordinary' glasses :D.

LOL, ok, for the red it's probably not the best, but you don't have to worry about 'oxidation' (as if ;) wine never lasts that long)

But I think I am skipping the lead crystal :angel:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Funny. I'm very particular about my beer and my whisky, but I'll happily drink my wine out if a box.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Latest Discussions