O'Grady the Warm-Ups

I

Icepick

I think I am developing a reputation for O'Grady'ing the warm-ups at my BJJ school. The problem is, it takes me 1 hr. 15 min. to get there, and I get out of work about 5:30p. Class starts at 7p. By the time I get home, let the dogs out, and leave for class, I'm late!!

Now I know that nobody likes sprinting until their stomach churns, or doing any exercise with an animal name in it (Bear Claws, Monkey Climb, Piggy Back, et.al.), but I recognize that it's for my own good, and do the best I can to catch up.

Unfortunately, it's a very hard perception to shed. Help!?!?!

Footnote: The term O'Grady is derived from the legendary Paul O'Grady, a WMAA member who never fails to arrive immediately after all calisthenics/stretching/warmups are ended.:D

OP
G

GouRonin

Maybe do a mini-workout AFTER class and invite them to join. Even if they don't they'll see you continuing with the work out and have some respect maybe?

OP
I

Icepick

Do 12 oz. curls count?? I'd be willing to do them after!

:drinkbeer

OP
G

GouRonin

It's not like I'd be stopping you! I'd most likely be "spotting."
:cheers:

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I'll drink to that, that sounds like my kind of work out.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I'll drink to anything except for the clubbing of baby seals. I had to wait til I was 19 to come out clubbin so should they.

OP
K

Kyle

:lol: I'm afraid it is too late! However, your rep is not as bad as big Paul's :)

:idea: It may be time to bring back millipedes.

- Kyle

OP
I

Icepick

Kyle,

Perhaps I have failed to properly represent the general disdain for any exercise named for an animal. Please, no millipede, I don't even know what it is, but it can't be good!

Once again, I was thoroughly frustrated by my out-of-shapedness (is that a word?) at class Friday night. I continually knew what I wanted to do, but was having a hard time making my arms move. I think I'm going to give up trying and just blame it on my age! "Yeah, that's easy when you're in college, wait till your as old as I am!". That's my plan, WAY easier than working out more!

- Icepick

" PLEASE DON'T TURN THE PAGE!! THERE'S A MILLIPEDE AT THE END OF THIS BOOK!!!!" - Grover the monster, loosely adapted.

OP
I

Icepick

I agree with you Rob, there's nothing worse than a drunken harp seal, trying to hook up!

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Beware of Arfy the killer seal, he'll give you the clap to death. And the fish breath sux!

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heh, Icepick...I use my age as an excuse all the time :D

Since I'm way closer to 30 than the other university students are to 20, I have the 'luxury' of using my age to jokingly complain about my stiffness/soreness/crankiness. It doesn't help that, though I have bones stronger than steel, I have the joints of someone 3 times my age. I can practically pop every joint in my body. Ever pop a collar bone? Don't. MUCH pain. And popping your sternum is just plain weird. Often when I stand up, my knees fire their own 21-gun salutes.

I probably shouldn't have spent so much time jumping off roofs and out of 2nd story windows as a kid. Oh well...it's the 21st century; I'll just get all my joints replaced by polymers and titanium! Steve Austin, eat yer heart out! :D

Cthulhu

OP
K

Kyle

Originally posted by Icepick

[...]Once again, I was thoroughly frustrated by my out-of-shapedness (is that a word?) at class Friday night. I continually knew what I wanted to do, but was having a hard time making my arms move. I think I'm going to give up trying and just blame it on my age! "Yeah, that's easy when you're in college, wait till your as old as I am!". That's my plan, WAY easier than working out more!

Well, certainly my intention was to push you. Don't let that get ya down! Ben has been training I think twice as long as you and in excellent shape. I thought you did very well.

- Kyle

OP
I

Icepick

I'm not really that bummed about it, but I still am surprised at the need for endurance over raw "forklift" strength. I'm thinking of replacing my time at the gym with more calisthenic exercise, for endurance.

The only guy whose raw strength blows me away is BIG PAUL, and he's off the charts, but the guys who can maintain their strength for the full round, can just wear you down, even if they are smaller.

At the last seminar Kyle hosted, Roy Harris said some interesting things about tough grapplers. He said that bodybuilders/powerlifters are no problem, they are strong until they gas, then you own them. The toughest grapplers are the SEALS, because they have a lot of static strength, and can hold one position until you get tired, then move you. Maybe I'll pick up one of those SEAL workout videos on Renegade's website, www.warriorsden.com, (PLUG PLUG, you're welcome Tim!). The only problem is my wife wants those beach muscles I used to have when we started dating. ;)

OP
K

Kyle

Originally posted by Icepick
I'm not really that bummed about it, but I still am surprised at the need for endurance over raw "forklift" strength. I'm thinking of replacing my time at the gym with more calisthenic exercise, for endurance.

You're right in that "forklift" strength isn't as important, though it still helps. However, keep in mind that technique is what allows you to use your strength/endurance most efficiently. You simply were working harder than the other guy.

- Kyle

OP
I

Icepick

SADIST!!!:eek:

Since Ron named me a member of Team FAT GUY last night, aren't I exempt from such foolishness?

I think I ran through about 6 phylum last night. Sloth,millipede, toad, seal, slug, corpse. Straight through the animal kingdom.

OP
G

GouRonin

**on the floor crying from laughing so hard and pounding the floor with my fist**
:rofl:

OP
I

Icepick

The origins of "Team Fat Guy" are shrouded in legend. Perhaps I should leave this for Kyle to expound.

OP
K

Kyle

Well, I have several students who are pretty big guys. A couple of them, one in particular, are smarta$$e$. Whenever they had a problem with a technique, they would say, "that's just not a fat guy move".

As more big guys came in, they heard the originals and started using the same line. After a while, they started referring to themselves as "Team Fat Guy". The name had stuck and it's been official for some time:

fatguy_sm.jpg

- Kyle

Latest Discussions