Warm-up Variations

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, thought Id start a thread on warm-ups and the type you use.

I ask as our warm-ups, which include fitness work, usually last about an hour and after 10 years I would like to add further variations to keep the long-timers interested.

So, Ill add some of mine and please add yours if different. hopefully, we can all get something new to add.

Lines

Basic
: Okay, this is basically rows of students - sprint up the hall, perfrom the exercise and sprint back and the next one goes. Exercises include things like press-ups, sit-ups, back-extenstions, squat jumps etc etc. Usually they go up in quantity to 30/40 then down again to 10 (using the harder exercises like burpees and 1 arm press ups).

Variation: We lay out mats half way down the hall and students break fall, then get thrown at the mats, before continuing onwards to the exercises + they do same ont he way back.

Variation 2: Same as the basic set up, but instead of running, bullet kicks are used (or hopping or any otehr method of travel - crawling for example)

Circuits
The class is splt into twos, and for eat set of two a station is given, usually with a piece of equipment. Equipment can be things like focus pads, kick shields, skipping ropes etc or simply just basic exercises (press ups for example.). The stations are usually spaced so they will work hands, then legs, then something else, then back to legs etc. If we are utilzing 9for example) 3 sets of focus pads in the overall circuit we will specailizse each set, 1 for hooks, 1 for straights/crosses and 1 for upper cuts, same with the kick shields etc. (A favorite for fitness on the kick shields is the 1 step kick routine, where a student must jump, kick the sheild, land and with only the landing, launch up and do another kick and so on and so on..). All round are 1 x 1 minute, thent hey change over.

Following that, they rotate round, often with a lap of the who circuit area (at a run/sprint before moving onto the next station).

Variation: similar to the above, but those holding the equipment stand in a circle. Each student does 20 seconds on each, full intensity and moves to the left, until they compelte the circle. We usually do thsi after the large circuit above.

I have many others and will post them later if others dont. feel free to post yours in the meantime.

Stuart

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stuart we add line drills like backleg roundhouse followed with a squat and front kick coming from the kneeling position. What we do is set up four lines and send them by lines to the end of the floor. We also do backleg roundhouse while we are facing each oter only about 4-6 inches apart to help with chambering the kick we both throw the kick while doing line drills. There are a few picks from the Meet and Greet section of the old photo gallery, It was in Buffalo two years ago. I hope they help you.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can add tabata intervals. The basic idea is you do soemthing at full intensity for 20 seconds then rest for 10 seconds. This is repeated for a total of 8 rounds (4 minutes of crazy amounts of work). Can be doen with excercises such as squats, pushups, etc. Cna be doen with pad and bag work. I just di one where I cycled thorugh eight different excercises.

This is a great way to build anaerobic endurance quickly and an interesting way to tackle standard excercises.

make a competition out of it. Pair up, do two tabatta intervals (one for each memeber of the pair). Count reps. Whoeevr does the most reps in their respective tabata set wins :)

Peace,
Erik

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some great ideas, thanks!

We get out the agility ladders and do single knee-ups, double knee-ups, triple knee-ups, "2 forward, 1 back hops", side to side hops, side to side knee-ups, back leg spin thru, and everyone's favorite-air guitar hero (i.e. single leg hop).

Another fun one is to have folks wearing hogus and pair up. Have one person in the center of the dojang, and their partner has to run to them, kick them 10 times fast, then run to the other end of the dojang. The runner tags the far end, then replaces the kicked partner who runs to the starting point, turns around, runs to her partner, kicks 10x, etc.

One variation which we've adopted for running and kicking line drills is to do so holding a medicine ball-got that one from Terry (I know a good drill when I steal, I mean, hear it :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some great ideas, thanks!

We get out the agility ladders and do single knee-ups, double knee-ups, triple knee-ups, "2 forward, 1 back hops", side to side hops, side to side knee-ups, back leg spin thru, and everyone's favorite-air guitar hero (i.e. single leg hop).

Another fun one is to have folks wearing hogus and pair up. Have one person in the center of the dojang, and their partner has to run to them, kick them 10 times fast, then run to the other end of the dojang. The runner tags the far end, then replaces the kicked partner who runs to the starting point, turns around, runs to her partner, kicks 10x, etc.

One variation which we've adopted for running and kicking line drills is to do so holding a medicine ball-got that one from Terry (I know a good drill when I steal, I mean, hear it :)

Yes that medicine ball will certainly help with kicking speed, thanks Miles. I wonder if anybody was doing that.

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Drills...

All the drills I will mention above are part of either fine motor skill building, conditioning or a combination of the two (the are done after a satisfactory warm up and stretch).

Agility Ladder - as added above the ladder is great for body and momentum control as well as the development of movement / footwork while co-functioning as cardio and endurance builders

Plyometrics -
(each of these variations is immediately followed by a short sprint)

10x Standing Leaps with knees drawn to the chest
10x Standing Leaps with the heels drawn to the buttocks
10x Deep squat jumps
10x Side Toe Touch (often a simulation for the newer student)
10X Front Toe Touch (see above)
Skipping Knee Lifts (done moving forward down the floor...left, right, left - left, left, right, right, - left, left, right, left, right right, etc.)
Multiple variations simulating the twitch reflex and muscle fiber for quick round kick attacks.
Bear Crawl
Crab Walk
Torso Twists (primarily a Judo / Jiu-Jitsu exercise but great for coordination, overall conditioning, and core muscle building)

Regards,
spookey