Observation

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The problem is, that's not the reaction of an experienced fighter. It's definitely not the reaction of an experienced fighter who has his adrenaline already going. That's the reaction of someone who isn't used to getting hit and/or isn't expecting to be in a fight
Having watched MMA for a number years I would say it definitely is the reaction of an experienced fighter. The way Michael Bisping stopped against Anderson Silva when his gum shield came out? I think after 10 years in the UFC he was experienced, used to getting hit and knew he was expecting to be on a fight when he walked to the ring. What about the innumerable number of times MMA fighters stop after a groin shot or eye poke?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Having watched MMA for a number years I would say it definitely is the reaction of an experienced fighter. The way Michael Bisping stopped against Anderson Silva when his gum shield came out? I think after 10 years in the UFC he was experienced, used to getting hit and knew he was expecting to be on a fight when he walked to the ring. What about the innumerable number of times MMA fighters stop after a groin shot or eye poke?
The OP described his training partner freezing in shock after taking a 10% power shot. Experienced fighters (in MMA or elsewhere) routinely take much harder shots and keep moving and fighting. They don't freeze. You'll sometimes see fighters who take a foul shot in the cage retreat and signal to the ref that they've been poked in the eye or whatever. That's sometimes a reaction to the pain but typically it's working the rules - hoping the ref will give them a respite or deduct a point from the other fighter. Either way, they don't just freeze in place and stop defending themselves. If they did, they'd be finished off on the spot.

Heck, I'm not a professional fighter or a particularly tough guy, but I've taken lots of accidental shots in training. Punches, elbows, knees, kicks, head butts, whatever. I don't freeze in shock because someone bonks me with a 10% shot to the nose. Unless the shot is hard enough to drop me to the floor (which has happened only a handful of times that I can remember over the last 35 years) I keep going with whatever drill we are working on.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

OP stated:
"there was barely any power in it but the guy who is very experienced and tough literally just froze his head just went down and he held his nose. If it had been a real fight I could've done anything I wanted he wasn't out of it it was just shock and that was from a maybe 10% clip on the nose."
He wasn't struck hard enough to get his mouthguard knocked out nor kicked in the groin full force or eye poked. His nose was clipped at about 10%. That's a Tap on the nose!

Completely different from what you described.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
He wasn't struck hard enough to get his mouthguard knocked out nor kicked in the groin full force or eye poked. His nose was clipped at about 10%. That's a Tap on the nose!

Completely different from what you described.
Bisping didn't stop once he took the blow that knocked out Bispings mouthpiece out, he stopped at the lull in action after the exchange of blows. I also never mention "full force" groin strikes.

So no, it's not completely different to what I described at all, but thanks for trying.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bisping didn't stop once he took the blow that knocked out Bispings mouthpiece out, he stopped at the lull in action after the exchange of blows. I also never mention "full force" groin strikes.

So no, it's not completely different to what I described at all, but thanks for trying.

I can only assume you missed the "OP stated" and yes that is completely different from what you described.

What about the innumerable number of times MMA fighters stop after a groin shot or eye poke?
^^^^ You did mention the innumerable number of times MMA fighters stop after a groin shot...
Which, by the way, are usually kicks delivered with full force.
Getting a groin shot was not what the OP described. He described his training partner freezing in shock after getting clipped in the nose with a 10% shot.
Again different from what you described.

Or have I miss read what you wrote?

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No they don't stand still not moving, pointing at their mouthpiece while their opponent jumps forward two metres and knees them in the head.

I must have dreamt it.

Don't think you dreamt it.

Might be misapplying it, though.

Didn't the dude (not the guy in the O/P) but the guy whose mouthpiece came out, didn't he focus on the ref and fail to protect himself (that's part of the rules, remember, protect yourself at all times) and then get nailed because he's switched off thinking (apparently) that the ref was going to stop the fight? That's what my understanding was. That's flawed tactical reasoning, not understandint eh situation... Bad guy/opponent just hit you hard enough to knock out your mouth piece and you redirect your attention to the non-combatant in the ring. Hmmm.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

So in other words he did not freeze up from being hit. He tried to get the ref's attention during a lull in the action and failed to protect himself while doing so. Definitely a mistake, but not anything to do with freezing up in shock from being hit.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
accident happends when you least expected like my Sifu and I he did a technique on me with the strike down and man he sweep me hard i fall down and hit my head i though i gonna have a concusion also this girl we were doing technique and she punch me hard in the nose hahahaha when your green to black you have to make contact

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
accident happends when you least expected like my Sifu and I he did a technique on me with the strike down and man he sweep me hard i fall down and hit my head i though i gonna have a concusion also this girl we were doing technique and she punch me hard in the nose hahahaha when your green to black you have to make contact

What does colour of a belt have to do with it? The whole point of fighting is to make contact, and take out the opponent. Irrespective of sex. Or am I missing the point the point of the reply?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No they don't stand still not moving, pointing at their mouthpiece while their opponent jumps forward two metres and knees them in the head.

I must have dreamt it.

I am a little confused by this. Are you saying that some grab their balls and get through the fog to mitigate a finishing move?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So in other words he did not freeze up from being hit. He tried to get the ref's attention during a lull in the action and failed to protect himself while doing so. Definitely a mistake, but not anything to do with freezing up in shock from being hit.
Agreed. More a bad training habit, similar to the discussion in the latest "Friday Fun" thread.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What does colour of a belt have to do with it? The whole point of fighting is to make contact, and take out the opponent. Irrespective of sex. Or am I missing the point the point of the reply?

I assume whatever system he does. That is when contact is an expected requirement.