o-sensei's philosophy with strikes

superkizuna

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I want to share this. It has come to my attention that japanese mindsets on power delivery, made infinitely powerful by o-sensei are really damaging when articulated by traditionally hard hitting strikes. Strike throughout the target but there's a deft touch u know? Anybody else study hard and soft?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I want to share this. It has come to my attention that japanese mindsets on power delivery, made infinitely powerful by o-sensei are really damaging when articulated by traditionally hard hitting strikes. Strike throughout the target but there's a deft touch u know? Anybody else study hard and soft?
Not quite sure what you are looking for here. Certainly I study 'hard' and 'soft'. That is the meaning of Goju. :asian:

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
not sure what you mean either, I study two styles of Shorin ryu, and both are hard and soft.. ( both are Okinawan, I know the Japanese styles were modified to be more hard then the Okinawan styles they came from.)

OP
S

superkizuna

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
kind of deep on the first post. I mean are your hard ki strikes more effective by having an understanding of soft ki techniques.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
kind of deep on the first post. I mean are your hard ki strikes more effective by having an understanding of soft ki techniques.
Although this will probably prove controversial I would suggest that the soft ki strike is a totally different animal to a hard ki strike. Although they both strike through the target the dynamics are totally different. To me, a soft ki strike is more effective than a hard ki strike and understanding soft ki will not change the dynamics of a hard ki strike. This is not easy subject to discuss in the confines of an internet forum where different people have quite different understanding of ki. :asian:

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah I'm having a hard time following this. By "ki strike" are you referring at all to kokyu or something else?

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This subject is really interesting, but I'm somewhat far from understanding it. Could anyone point out some reference material to stuff like "enter with irimi and hit with kokyu"? (I believe it must have something with aikido, right?).

Enviado de meu GT-I9300 usando o Tapatalk 2

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

And we now have an official substitute for the pancake bunny! :lfao:

By all means. "Enter with irimi, hit with kokyu." :asian:

What he said. :asian:

(Don't take it personally, spuerkizuna-you'll find out that I'm just like this....more to come.)

Last edited by a moderator:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
There are a variety of reasons for misunderstandings around conversations like this one-never mind the media itself: language and idiom come to mind, along with some really basic questions as to what we're talking about:

Which "aikido" are we talking about?

Which "aiki?"

Which "ki?"

For that matter, most importantly of all (if you really want to arrive at an answer) which Ueshiba?????

'cause there was this one:

Then there was this one:

And, finally, there was this one-who's the one most everyone alive to have seen remembers:

(Notice him looking to see if anyone "gets it?

I'm just going to say one thing-if true aikido is "beyond strength, and beyond self-defense" what is the way beyond something? 'Cause I've never known anyone to get "beyond" anything without going through it, and the "way beyond' is usually through. The Founder was, by all accounts, a remarkably strong man-and one who knew what self-defense really was.

To go beyond strength, you have to get strong.

Oh, and, the old man himself:

In a real battle, atemi is seventy percent, technique is thirty percent

And, just because it's my favorite (not because it's, like, relevant or anything....:lfao: ):

Depending on the circumstance, you should be: hard as a diamond, flexible as a willow, smooth-flowing like water, or as empty as space

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sure you got the right link for the last one there, Elder? Not quite sure what the add for the AMC Javelin has to do with aikido... though maybe I'm missing something?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Sure you got the right link for the last one there, Elder? Not quite sure what the add for the AMC Javelin has to do with aikido... though maybe I'm missing something?

No, you beat me to it. THat's definitely an "oops." (Wondering what they're making of O Sensei over on the car forum....:lfao: )

Here ya go: