Excuses all the time

superkizuna

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Now I'm not saying you should fight every time violence rears it's ugly head but do you know that martial artist who is always talking about how bad their art is or how dangerous they could be if they unleashed their doomsday moves but every single time they should fight, b/c sometimes you really should, they just don't? You know the type they are usually 1-uppers as well.

OP
S

superkizuna

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
that's what they call studios in Australia isn't it?.... outlets. I just picked up on you being Australian. I love your country.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
that's what they call studios in Australia isn't it?.... outlets. I just picked up on you being Australian. I love your country.

Well, *i* call them outlets. Most folks i know (MA wise) do as well, so i just go with it. Its much more general than gym, or dojo, or whatever else. Outlet and Studio are much more neutral.

Im sure Australia appreciates it :)

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maybe they don't fight because they don't want to, not because they can't.

Happy-Papi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Now I'm not saying you should fight every time violence rears it's ugly head but do you know that martial artist who is always talking about how bad their art is or how dangerous they could be if they unleashed their doomsday moves but every single time they should fight, b/c sometimes you really should, they just don't? You know the type they are usually 1-uppers as well.

I haven't yet met a good martial artist who openly brags about their doomsday moves. I only heard those claims on punks who knew some basic moves or had taken some basic MA training. Also heard it from wannabe thugs and drunks. Yes I have met some high rankers who strongly believes that their styles are the absolute doomsday weapons but still keeps their thoughts within their dojos.

Personally I do believe that they should have some real fighting experiences for their sake so that at least they can prove to themselves the effectiveness of their doomsday techniques.

Do we really have these kinds of MA clowns nowadays???

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Happy-Papi as I think the MA that brags is one that normally is not a good MA and feels the need to prove to themselves how good they are by talking the talk, but normally not walking the walk.

The majority of MA that actually have real skill normally do not show off or talk constantly about what they could do to someone with their almighty skill normally because a truly good MA is generally humble, honourable and would probably rather not display their skills in a real world situation unless they actually had no choice.

Also a lesson I was taught many, many years ago which has stuck with me which is relevant is to remember that no matter how good you are, or how good you think you are, there is always someone out there that is better than you.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Personally, I tend to stay away from those that have the big egos. Just nod my head, agree that they probably are a force to be dealt with..lol...and walk away knowing they're probably not all they make themselves out to be.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with Happy-Papi as I think the MA that brags is one that normally is not a good MA and feels the need to prove to themselves how good they are by talking the talk, but normally not walking the walk.

The majority of MA that actually have real skill normally do not show off or talk constantly about what they could do to someone with their almighty skill normally because a truly good MA is generally humble, honourable and would probably rather not display their skills in a real world situation unless they actually had no choice.

Also a lesson I was taught many, many years ago which has stuck with me which is relevant is to remember that no matter how good you are, or how good you think you are, there is always someone out there that is better than you.

Or on any given day, just luckier.

I have only had a few that I have heard bragging that way. Most I dismiss immediately. One, who said he was a 4th dan in TKD, at the on post gym in Seoul, Korea, actually seemed to be attempting to get me to agree to a contest. He kept telling me how he really liked to spar against Hapkidoists because he was always able to beat them. I didn't pursue it and just let him run out of steam and walk away. A real 4th dan, in any MA? Really? Acting that way? Sad.

But to me, always the best advice is to be polite, but essentially ignore them and leave or let them leave.

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I train to have skills that I will do everything in my power not to use.

I never boast to anyone of my skills, but am self-confident in my strengths and recognize my weaknesses.

Never concider me a coward because I choose not to engage in a fight. My strength of character comes from knowing I could have done something and yet found a peaceful resolution instead. The peaceful resolution is always better if only for legal reasons.

Question to you is where and to whom does your friend boast? Perhaps he does this with you as you both share MA training. I tease with my dojo mates on a regular basis...What events in your eyes should he have engaged? Perhaps is a reflection of your ego that needs to be examined? Perhaps not??

If they are not your friend but just a punk blow-hard, ignore them. Who cares what they say, their actions speak more clearly than their words.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Other than in serious self-defense situations, I don't think there's a time you should fight. If you can walk away, that's always the better option. That being said, bragging about your skills is really tacky.

We have a student here who got his black belt as a kid, and came in talking about how he was a BB and the best at his school (10+ years ago) etc etc. After he got kicked around a bunch in sparring he dialed that attitude waaaay back. (Fortunately, he did stay - a lot of people that talk a lot about how good they are can't deal with seeing that they have things to learn.)

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of us train for the fight that will never happen. On true martial art is choosing peace, not looking for a reason for conflict.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Martial arts are a means to personal power.

A person’s choice to utilize his physical training outsideof his training environment will vary depending on that person’s beliefs. Perhaps a situation you would utilize your physical skills is not a serious enough event for them. Depending on your personal philosophy, you may be able to argue why someone should defend themselves in one case but not in another and a different person might have a completely different outlook than that.
The key to this though is that a trained martial artist should always have a choice. If you do not act because you have no real confidence in your ability then you need to take a closer look at yourself and how you train, but if you choose not to act because it isn’t worth it to you that is another matter entirely.

I believe martial arts training are most valuable as a means to teach one how to control their fear response. If you don’t act because you have chosen not to then your training is working fine. If you feel you can’t act then I see it as a problem.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well...sometimes they are also a means to soothe the egos of those with self esteem issues....

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Well yeah. But by giving people actual skill in something they gain more confidence and self-efficacy. This is personal power.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, *i* call them outlets. Most folks i know (MA wise) do as well, so i just go with it. Its much more general than gym, or dojo, or whatever else. Outlet and Studio are much more neutral.

Im sure Australia appreciates it :)
Can't we just call them what they are? Dojos or clubs? Or maybe a "hall"? Outlet or studio just sounds so, well, bad! BAD!!
"Hey Trevor, I'm off to train at my karate *Outlet*"? Yuk!
"OK, I'm going to do my nails before going to my karate (*ballet*) studio" Sheesh!!
Outlet's are like freakin' malls where you go get some pizza or buy a shirt or some dog food. "Studios" - this is even worse! Blahh! This is where ballet students prance around on their toes or metrosexual artists hang out and throw buckets of paint across canvases (both fine pass times in themselves I may add!). BJJ studio - really??

Come on. let's all us MA peeps keep it real please.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can't we just call them what they are? Dojos or clubs? Or maybe a "hall"? Outlet or studio just sounds so, well, bad! BAD!!
"Hey Trevor, I'm off to train at my karate *Outlet*"? Yuk!
"OK, I'm going to do my nails before going to my karate (*ballet*) studio" Sheesh!!
Outlet's are like freakin' malls where you go get some pizza or buy a shirt or some dog food. "Studios" - this is even worse! Blahh! This is where ballet students prance around on their toes or metrosexual artists hang out and throw buckets of paint across canvases (both fine pass times in themselves I may add!). BJJ studio - really??

Come on. let's all us MA peeps keep it real please.

I like to generalize. Outlet is an easy statement to use sweepingly for any system or style or method or whatever. Studio does sound corny though.
I guess i just dont like saying dojo. If you heard the word exit my lips with my vocal cords youd understand :D

However, you want to keep it real. Youre right. I feel we need to make a compromise.
Crib. We shall call them cribs. And we shall keep it real, in the hood yo.
Karate crib. B-J-J (say it out loud) crib.
You know you love it.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like to generalize. Outlet is an easy statement to use sweepingly for any system or style or method or whatever. Studio does sound corny though.
I guess i just dont like saying dojo. If you heard the word exit my lips with my vocal cords youd understand :D

However, you want to keep it real. Youre right. I feel we need to make a compromise.
Crib. We shall call them cribs. And we shall keep it real, in the hood yo.
Karate crib. B-J-J (say it out loud) crib.
You know you love it.
Now karate crib is something we can roll with. :headbangin:

Latest Discussions