Nwes Flash: Pope Resigning

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 600 years they reckon. Oh well. I'd love to be a fly on the wall to watch the Cardinals politicking, scheming and generally canvassing for support!

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
He said he was not strong enough to continue. I wonder if the next pope will be a reformer or not.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I want to be the next pope…I will reform a lot....

I am not Catholic, not religious, have a Buddhist living in my house, not in the Vatican and I'm married…so …what do you think my chances are :D

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Popes don't just quit. I wonder if this is involved with all of the sex scandels? Didn't this Ratzinger help cover it up while part of the lower orders?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The television news programmes are rehashing his life and all those nice photos of him in the Hitler Youth are there again.....

By all accounts though his health is very poor, perhaps rather than have him linger on then bumping him off (allegedly) they want someone younger and stronger in place now, probably an Italian too.
He may want to stop flying his helicopter too, funnily enough this article was in one of Saturday's newspaper.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...are-of-the-popes-medical-history-8483786.html

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The television news programmes are rehashing his life and all those nice photos of him in the Hitler Youth are there again.....

By all accounts though his health is very poor, perhaps rather than have him linger on then bumping him off (allegedly) they want someone younger and stronger in place now, probably an Italian too.
He may want to stop flying his helicopter too, funnily enough this article was in one of Saturday's newspaper.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...are-of-the-popes-medical-history-8483786.html

(In all fairness, at one point HJ was compulsory...)

But hey, if you go down with the pope....you are sure to go straight up, no?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Had to read that bit several times, my eyes you know roflmao, thought it said something else!

There may be some sighs of relief at his going by the chaps responsible for Vatican PR though. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...Popes-Hitler-Youth-past-says-the-Vatican.html

Now lady....you were linking the article of him flying whirly birds....and his mile long lists of health troubles....tsk tsk tsk....

(but seriously...he was barely adult when the war ended...o what he was in the HJ...not sure when it became mandatory...but you wre old enough, you went in. Especially toward the end, when just looking like you disagreed could earn you a quick lynch style hanging or an execution style introduction to firearms...

But acting like it didn't happen is stupid....maybe he forgot...strokes can affect the memory, you know...)

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember when he came to Sydney , what a joke that was.
People waited for him on the streets for bloody hours , and when he finally did come out he flew past them at a million miles an hour in his pope mobile.

Also if I remember correctly he was given the nickname here "Eggs" as in Eggs Benedict , get it.
Well I thought it was pretty funny at the time.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sure HBO's recent documentary, "Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God", didn't do his health any good.

Highly reccomend it by the way.

Here's a review: http://www.theday.com/article/20130204/ENT13/302049987

But compressing the cover-up down to the actions of "the church" is too easy, and "Mea Maxima Culpa" points a steady finger of accusation straight at Pope Benedict XVI.
Beginning in 1981, then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger led the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, a less-catchy but more palatable name for the office once known as the Inquisition. As ordered by John Paul II, Ratzinger's CDF oversaw every sexual abuse allegation from 2001 until his rise to the papacy in 2005.

His first act in this new role was to send bishops a letter reminding them to keep allegations buried, citing canon law that forbids the public airing of misdeeds - reminiscent, the documentary suggests, of the Mafia's omerta or code of silence. When U.S. bishops begged Rome for the power to defrock repeat offenders, they were denied.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Now lady....you were linking the article of him flying whirly birds....and his mile long lists of health troubles....tsk tsk tsk....

(but seriously...he was barely adult when the war ended...o what he was in the HJ...not sure when it became mandatory...but you wre old enough, you went in. Especially toward the end, when just looking like you disagreed could earn you a quick lynch style hanging or an execution style introduction to firearms...

But acting like it didn't happen is stupid....maybe he forgot...strokes can affect the memory, you know...)

Actually this was brought up when he was made Pope so covering it up, and the Vatican generally has no problems with cover-up, does not surprise me...it's silly...but not surprising

Also when the war ended he was 17 ad although it was the Hitler youth I do not really think it should be an issue based on the period of history we are talking about and the things going on in Germany at that time. Could have been join or be shot or i could have been nationalistic pride.... don't know

All we can do now is wait for the white smoke

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"RT @Queen_UK Text from Prince Charles: "Pope Benedict XVI is standing down to give someone younger a chance at leading a Church. Just saying."

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I haven't seen Bill Mattocks around, but I'd be interested in hearing his read on this situation.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know his health has been deteriorating, but I do wonder if the weight of the scandals plays a role also.

Latest Discussions