Now I've Seen Everything.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
OMG...has anyone seen the Shaolin Arts Magazine? look for the ussd logo on someone's shirt...sigh...

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OMG...has anyone seen the Shaolin Arts Magazine? look for the ussd logo on someone's shirt...sigh...

Maybe I'm just out of touch, but I have to ask ... where does one find that particular magazine? I've never heard of it. I tried to google it and it seemingly has no presence on the Internet.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, to anyone that isn't USSD.

Damn. I was going to point out that only one USSD instructor actually made it in, and there is more than one judge. I was also going to say I've seen the guy in action, and that he really impressed me. But I can't, because being USSD automatically makes me biased.

Can I say the same thing from the KFSS side of my martial arts life? How about from my "I've been pulverized into wisdom for the past four years by Asa Rainey's kid"" side? No? Oh well.

OP
Danjo

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Damn. I was going to point out that only one USSD instructor actually made it in, and there is more than one judge. I was also going to say I've seen the guy in action, and that he really impressed me. But I can't, because being USSD automatically makes me biased.

Josh, it's perfectly fine to say that you have found one person in the USSD that has impressed you. No problem as long as you remember that you've used up your one person. If you come up with another one, you might get this thread moved to the Horror Stories section.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Josh, it's perfectly fine to say that you have found one person in the USSD that has impressed you. No problem as long as you remember that you've used up your one person. If you come up with another one, you might get this thread moved to the Horror Stories section.

Oh fine then. I'd hate that to happen. When my wife's a black belt, though, all bets are off.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Can I say the same thing from the KFSS side of my martial arts life? How about from my "I've been pulverized into wisdom for the past four years by Asa Rainey's kid"" side? No? Oh well.

I've seen him too. It's nice to know that he got that because he takes WuShu somewhere else that's outside USSD. Funny how you find out these things from outside sources...

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score

LOL!!!

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just out of touch, but I have to ask ... where does one find that particular magazine? I've never heard of it. I tried to google it and it seemingly has no presence on the Internet.

I found it on the newstand. it's owned by tiger claw inc.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Um, who is Asa Rainey? All I'm going to say about the KF side of USSD is that it's kempo-ized, and so is your taiji. That's it. If you need a more critical analysis of the KF side, you can PM me.

Kenpsy7

White Belt
Reaction score
Asa Rainey is a Kenpo teacher. He is on the Ed parker family tree under Dave Hebler. He was originally promoted to black belt by Grandmaster Ed Parker in the early 70's and was promoted all the way up to 6th black by Mr. Parker prior to Mr. Parkers death. Asa Rainey is currently Ranked 8th degree kenpo black and he is my good friend, as well as my Kenpo teacher, for a long time now. As far as I know and have ever seen, he is one of the best practitioners and teachers of kenpo that there is. He still comes by my kenpo school from time to time and teaches my students. His kenpo flows smoothly and has an incredible amount of power when he wishes to apply it.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Asa Rainey is a Kenpo teacher. He is on the Ed parker family tree under Dave Hebler. He was originally promoted to black belt by Grandmaster Ed Parker in the early 70's and was promoted all the way up to 6th black by Mr. Parker prior to Mr. Parkers death. Asa Rainey is currently Ranked 8th degree kenpo black and he is my good friend, as well as my Kenpo teacher, for a long time now. As far as I know and have ever seen, he is one of the best practitioners and teachers of kenpo that there is. He still comes by my kenpo school from time to time and teaches my students. His kenpo flows smoothly and has an incredible amount of power when he wishes to apply it.

Thank you. I had no idea who he was. That's why I asked.

BigKiai

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

BigKiai

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just out of couriosity, does anybody else in the west coast wear a a gi color outside of red, black or white? I remember when that wasn't allowed.

The only exception I've seen to that is Professor Mattera. I like the gray/charcoal color. It denotes status without being very flashy.

Regards,

Mike

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The only exception I've seen to that is Professor Mattera. I like the gray/charcoal color. It denotes status without being very flashy.

Regards,

Mike

GM Demasco wears various colors as well. However, gray is Prof. Mattera's special color, no others wear it.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score

BigKiai

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow! DeMasco got a nice dye job on his hair there! Actually, if you look at the BB mag from this month, in DeMasco's article his patch is different.

Looks like I need to start subscribing to BB, I'll go pick one up at the local magazine rack. I've only seen him at a Black Belt Magazine seminar in 2005 and then on the China 2006 trip seminars. In a few years I'd love to be coloring my hair; but unfortunately, my hair is slowly falling out.

Regards,

Mike

Latest Discussions