Kenpo Popularity

Eviscerate

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Why is Kenpo so popular? anyone have any insights or toughts on this?

G

Gary Crawford

It's not as popular as I'd like to see,or at least in my neck of the woods.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Something in the water.

Mr. Cerio, Mr. Villari, Ms. Cogliandro, Carol Kaur (just kidding)...all from North of Boston. :D

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Eviscerate said:
Why is Kenpo so popular? anyone have any insights or toughts on this?

It's not as popular as it should be given that it is probably one of the few arts that is street and bar effective.

The problem I see with it's lack of popularity is that it is not an art in which the student progresses quickly we have standards and these must be maintained.

So for many people who want to achieve a goal quickly Kenpo is not for them let's get a dan grade in two years doing something else .....

JamesB

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't think it is as popular as it once was in the and 80s and 90s? A lot of folk go down the MMA route these days, as that's currently viewed by many as the thing to do if you want to be an effective fighter.

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It also depends on where you are. On both Coasts kenpo is very popular. Here in the mid-west you might have trouble finding a school, depending on what you are looking for, i.e. Tracy's Vs. EPAK.

Brian Jones

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Perhaps it doesn't ask you to forsake your own culture for a more "superior" one, it is taught in the language you speak, and it is a very non-mystic art based on logic.
Sean

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
it is taught in the language you speak,

Hold it right there, I speak English, and when Kenpo people start talking about techniques they most definately are not speaking a language I understand :p

OP
E

Eviscerate

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Hold it right there, I speak English, and when Kenpo people start talking about techniques they most definately are not speaking a language I understand :p

Haha, too funny, perhaps that is part of the reason a lot of kenpo seems overly complex, at least the SD stuff does, to me, that is. I can break it down a bit, but some of that stuff is just generally over my head i suppose... =p

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:

The language makes a lot more sense after taking a couple really hard hits ;)

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Popular? It only seems to be popular in New England and Cali. Everywhere else it is TKD by a landslide.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It is a double edge sword, sadly. On the one hand, it has spread quite well, and a lot of the early pioneers have done their best to spread the art to different areas. On the other hand, there has been a lot of Mc Dojo's running around teaching crap lately and claiming boisterous stuff like being first generation Parker BB or much worse being awarded 10th degrees by Mr. Parker himself. Also, Kenpo is usually mentioned in just about any martial arts magazine in just about every issue.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:
It is a double edge sword, sadly. On the one hand, it has spread quite well, and a lot of the early pioneers have done their best to spread the art to different areas. On the other hand, there has been a lot of Mc Dojo's running around teaching crap lately and claiming boisterous stuff like being first generation Parker BB or much worse being awarded 10th degrees by Mr. Parker himself. Also, Kenpo is usually mentioned in just about any martial arts magazine in just about every issue.

Boy ain't that the truth! I love Kenpo, but there are a lot of very bad schools out there teaching garbage. It's sad. We are being laughed at by students of other arts, especially those of us that do American Kenpo. We are getting a bad rep because of those that have bastardized and watered down the art. Everyone is so quick to want to change the core material.

Latest Discussions