Now I've Seen Everything.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It was a good class as he is an excellent instructor..I reacted with facial contortions and went down everytime..One technique did not really hurt but I went down anyway sans the grimace of pain..."You're making me look bad",he said "Do it again and no more beer for the duration of the seminar..

:lfao:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Made it back without injury..I didn't volunteer to be an Uke..He did walk over to correct a technique whick involved a strike to inside of your arm..I was like getting hit with a sledge hammer...

I forgot to include that this was the portion of the seminar taught by Grandmaster George Dillman..Wasn't a bad class..

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah but what do you call the pie, when the baker leaves the apples out?
In this case, the artists left the "Martial" out.

--Dave

Umm... what is not martial about obstacle courses or limited contact sparring. I do obstacle courses and limited contact sparring in the friggin ARMY. From a military standpoint, which after six years in the army, I believe I'm qualified to give, the "martial" was not taken out, as you say. If I broke a fellow soldiers arm or permanently damaged them during training, I'd be up for UCMJ action. When soldiers train with other soldiers for real combat, they do not go all out or use everything they know against eachother. Is that taking the "martial" out? Absolutely not. If many of those guys on Final Fu hit eachother as hard as they could, there would be broken bones, crippling injuries, and even possibly a death or two.

THAT would be taking the "martial" out of martial art. taking away another soldier's combat effectiveness or killing them dishonorable to say the least, and harmful to the unit. I apply this same mentality when I train at my studio, as does probably everyone else here. Take away another martial artist's ability to fight, when the two of you are training, is dishonorable, and illegal, depending on the circumstances.

So where exactly did they take the "martial" out?

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In the latest issue of Black Belt Magazine, there is an article where Steve Demasco (Of USSD fame) and his cohort Charlie Mattera (Also of USSD) will be getting together with Aikido movie star Steven Seagal and the Shaolin Abbot to determine who will be the next Shaolin monk in a reality show.

The contestants will compete doing various animal forms and then they will be voted on to see who will represent the Shaolin temple to the world.

If anyone had any lingering doubts about the modern Shaolin monks being government stooges and phonies, they should be laid to rest now.

Come on guys! Who wants to be the next Shaolin Monk?

Did you guys know that Steve DeMasco was one of the judges? The actually let 6 USSD instructor's try out for the show and one of them got to go to China. There are also going to be 4 or 5 winners. Does this sound kosher to anyone?

OP
Danjo

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Did you guys know that Steve DeMasco was one of the judges? The actually let 6 USSD instructor's try out for the show and one of them got to go to China. There are also going to be 4 or 5 winners. Does this sound kosher to anyone?

You mean to anyone besides the USSD people?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did I just read somwhere that he (DeMasco) split with Mattera??

OP
Danjo

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering..Wish I could remember where I read the rumor...

It was probably around here somewhere. I DO knwo that "USSD" stands for something else with Demasco than it does with Mattera, his patch is different.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It was probably around here somewhere. I DO knwo that "USSD" stands for something else with Demasco than it does with Mattera, his patch is different.

With DeMasco is "Steve DeMasco's United Studios of Shaolin Kung Fu." His patch is different...the sun is upside down.

Latest Discussions