Not really a beginner, but I guess this is still the right place to ask.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah man. When I was in shape I left class out of breath, sore and sweaty, and that's when I was in vastly better shape. If I just jump into it now I'll be in a wheel chair by the end of the week.
In your last excuse for not going to class, you claimed you'd be dead at the end of class, and now you're only crippled. So that's progress. Or, more likely, the statements are just drama. I suggest less drama and more class time.
I'm not looking some some McDojo that'll take it easy on me. I'm looking for advice on training without a gym membership, which I haven't done before. This is going to need some prep. I can't just jump back in like I haven't spent decades behind a desk.
Sure you can. And you're hearing that from a number of people who have been training and teaching longer than you've been alive. Lots of people have done exactly what you're saying is impossible. And lots of people keep making excuses not to go train.
I'm literally just looking for physical training advice.
If you want general exercise advice, you're probably better off asking on a fitness site. Most everybody here is going to suggest that you go to class and train the MA of your choice.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was originally trained by a 2 time national champion. I won a few smaller tournaments myself. But that was a long long time ago. But I've been watching Cobra Kai And Johhny inspired me to get my fat, middle-aged butt back into it. I used to be able to kick above my head, but now I can barely kick waist high without hurting myself. I also have nowhere near the stamina I used to.

So here's my question. If I get back into classes and try to get my second black belt in whatever, that's literally going to kill me at this point. Obviously I should start doing my stretches again, but what else can I do to try to get back into good enough shape for classes? I'm broke and can't afford both class and a gym, so it has to be stuff I can do at home. Can anyone recommend some exercises? Especially anything that helps endurance. I'm not going to go to some joke of a McDojo and I know I can't make it through class in my current condition.

Wish I could just 80's training montage this, but unfortunately I think I need actual advice at this point.
You're young, you have plenty of time. Start eating a sensible, healthy diet and start walking, lot's of walking.

You know how you got out of shape, start doing the opposite.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You don't get in better shape so you can go to class. You go to class to get in better shape.
This is an imaging and marketing issue that many TMA schools have. I'm not sure why people don't associate getting into shape = going to class.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend some exercises? Especially anything that helps endurance. I'm not going to go to some joke of a McDojo and I know I can't make it through class in my current condition.
The first step to building up endurance would be to simply move. All martial artists need 2 types of endurance.
1. Muscular Endurance
2. Cardio Endurance

For Muscular Endurance I would simply do a couple of basic exercises based on martial arts movements. I wouldn't bother with trying to lift weights unless you want that as part of your plain for losing weight. Here's some good exercises you can do.
1. Knee lifts - stand and lift knee with leg bent. Focus on trying to lift the knee high. Start with numerous reps and then finish with lifting the knee and holding it in the air and trying to get the knee to rise higher without putting it down.
1657388425855.png

2. Straight leg lifts - You don't have to punch use your arms to keep balance. Lift the leg with toe flex for a few sets then lift the leg with the to pointed. Then try to lift and hold the leg up as high as you can without putting your leg down.
1657388461691.png

3. Static stance training - Horse stance, bow stance, Hold these stance for at least 30 seconds and then repeat. You may or may not make it to 30 seconds. But 30 seconds is enough. This will strength and build up the muscles, ligaments and tendons. You don't want to blow your knees out. The other exercises above will help strengthen the same thing but in your hip.

4. Jumping up and down - nothing crazy. Just jump up a few inches and land. Make sure your legs bend when you land you want to absorb the impact by bending your legs and allow your body to lower a little. Do this for one week and then increase the height. This will condition your legs for impacts

Things like this will help you on the martial arts side of things. You can do other exercises like push up and sit up. Based on what you posted I'm thinking your body has more than enough weight so you don't need to add more. Moving your own body weight is going to be challenging enough.

For footwork and cardio, I would do things like walk, walk up stairs, walk up hills, I would start anymore more than that until after a month of doing some of the other conditioning exercises. A light jog for 100 meters is good, but I wouldn't go beyond that. The main concern now would be to get your legs and joints in condition to move your heavy weight around until you can lose some weight.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an imaging and marketing issue that many TMA schools have. I'm not sure why people don't associate getting into shape = going to class.
I know. I've never understood why people think you have to get in shape before you start getting in shape.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know. I've never understood why people think you have to get in shape before you start getting in shape.
lol even if they are in shape, they still probably won't be in shape for what's ahead. The only way to get in shape for that stuff is to just show up to class and start from the bottom then enjoy the improvements that they will see over the next few months.

TularosaKungFu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When I was good, I walked 12 - 20 miles a day and hammered steel. You can substitute water carrying and lifting and push ups.
My only comment besides the obstacle course in your yard was to mention dragon staff. Thats a good midsection builder and you must gotta be careful twisting yourself around. Go slow and ease into your maximum range, pull or force nothing.
Dragon pole is 8 ft or more or 2" iron pipe that is heavy walled and you can add sand to that - just be careful with your body, because you're using a wrench with weight force.
IYDK, Place the staff across your shoulders and stand horse with a good spine line. Then slowly turn to the right all the way you can get and then release and go to the left all the way you can and release. Start with 8 or 10 turns and you yourself will see how to add a little when you grow into it.
Sounds dumb....but its some solid dragon fu and its lightened for the shape you are now? I'm not saying its dragon perfect or the only exercise. Other northerners can probably elaborate

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not looking some some McDojo that'll take it easy on me.
Martial arts is just like any other physical activity. You develop your ability in a progressive manner.

If you were going to a weight lifting coach, you wouldn’t (assuming you were sensible) insist that either they start you out bench pressing 300 pounds or else they’re a “mcgym”. What a good coach would do is determine what weights you could lift with good form and start you there with a plan to gradually increase the weight you can handle.

Martial arts is the same way. I don’t put a 50 year old coach potato through the same workout that I give a 25 year old professional fighter.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know, right? So many times I've run into someone, had a conversation and said, "Sure, come on down to the dojo" and gotten the reply "I definitely will, I'm just going to get into shape first."

Apparently, that shape was round.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know, right? So many times I've run into someone, had a conversation and said, "Sure, come on down to the dojo" and gotten the reply "I definitely will, I'm just going to get into shape first."

Apparently, that shape was round.
I was in great shape when I first started Kung Fu, but it was still physically challenging. Martial arts works muscles differently. It. It gets easier but it doesnt get easy.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Although different forms of exercise/Martial Arts works things differently for sure, I've found that if you get into serious shape, you can do any kind of workout you want.

Maybe it's just the disciplined habit of busting your ash at all costs. It's just what you do.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah man. When I was in shape I left class out of breath, sore and sweaty, and that's when I was in vastly better shape. If I just jump into it now I'll be in a wheel chair by the end of the week. I'm not looking some some McDojo that'll take it easy on me. I'm looking for advice on training without a gym membership, which I haven't done before. This is going to need some prep. I can't just jump back in like I haven't spent decades behind a desk. I'm literally just looking for physical training advice.
A good instructor will push you as hard as you can reasonably be pushed. So you should leave sweaty and out of breath, regardless of your fitness.

I tend to start folks soft while I feel out their limits (physical and psychological), then turn it up as appropriate for the individual.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Normally I'd agree, but I'm a 41 year old fat guy who can barely do 4 pushups. I literally won't live through any legitimate class. I wouldn't be asking if it wasn't necessary. If I just moved back and jumped back into my old class and picked up where I left off I'd drop dead of a heart attack in 2 hours. I gotta drop a few of these double whoppers first. Does nobody train anymore?
You won’t be expected to perform like you did the last time you were in class.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you guys are fully getting me here. I'd literally spend more time resting than learning. Not my first rodeo. I know what's involved. Until I'm in better shape it's seriously a waste of money. I'm actually just looking for martial arts oriented home exercises I can do that are oriented around specifically what my body will need in order to get back in practice.. Nothing more. Like I said in another post, does nobody even train anymore? I'm looking for endurance training advice. Not one reply about training.
Any exercise would be beneficial at this point. Get walking at a pace that gets you breathing kinda (but not really) hard. Do push-ups. Get some light dumbbells or kettlebells and do clean-and-press, etc.

Olde Phart

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Basically, everyone here has given great advice. I'm 67 now, but re-started after a 40-year layoff when I was 64. I knew going in that I wasn't a "spring chicken." Sure enough, I couldn't keep up with the youngins. But, a roundhouse to the knee, instead of the head, will still drop your opponent! A front snap kick to the groin or tummy will also put 'em on the ground or up against a wall. My instructor knew, and knows, that I can't keep up with the rest. They continually offer suggestions about how to modify some move in order to accomplish it with my limitations. I take breaks during class; sometimes 2-3. I've had heart surgery and am a little overweight. But, I do what I can do and don't do what I can't (at the moment!). With continued practice in class, I get better.

Any standard exercise, including walking, is fine. Anything that works the legs, arms and torso will be helpful. I don't know about you, but it is hard for me to do much exercising on my own. I need the input of a class. If finances are the hindrance, well, do what you can on your own. Videos are great, but I need the personal touch to get the finer points.

Above all, check with your doctor first before trying much exercise. I had bypass surgery in the middle of returning to martial arts and pretty much had to take off a year. Both my cardiologist and my regular physician are continually consulted to make sure all is OK. Guess what? They both say keep it up.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was originally trained by a 2 time national champion. I won a few smaller tournaments myself. But that was a long long time ago. But I've been watching Cobra Kai And Johhny inspired me to get my fat, middle-aged butt back into it. I used to be able to kick above my head, but now I can barely kick waist high without hurting myself. I also have nowhere near the stamina I used to.

So here's my question. If I get back into classes and try to get my second black belt in whatever, that's literally going to kill me at this point. Obviously I should start doing my stretches again, but what else can I do to try to get back into good enough shape for classes? I'm broke and can't afford both class and a gym, so it has to be stuff I can do at home. Can anyone recommend some exercises? Especially anything that helps endurance. I'm not going to go to some joke of a McDojo and I know I can't make it through class in my current condition.

Wish I could just 80's training montage this, but unfortunately I think I need actual advice at this point.
Jump rope. Nobody likes it because it requires coordination, balance, cardio, and ... oh wait, that's what's good about it. You literally do it better as you improve your cardio, balance, coordination, etc. It won't let you hurt yourself trying to do more than you can do, and it doesn't require a gym membership or fancy equipment. It's just a rope with a pair of handles on it.

I can't kick over my head and never could, even before I hit my 60s. Fortunately for me Isshinryu kicks people in the head by knocking them down first. No kicks above the waist.

JRMFFL531

White Belt
Reaction score

I’m in the same boat brother…except I’m trying to earn my first black belt. Prior to your first lesson anywhere you go have a discussion with your head instructor. Tell them where you’re at physically and mentally. Tell them your goals and why you’re starting back again. With that being said, my instructor knows if I respectfully step off the mat or take a knee it’s bc I’ve forced myself to go as far as I can and I need to stop. Your instructor will respect that. And respect you for getting back into the action after a quick recovery period. Best of luck.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anybody notice the OP hasn’t been back since the day he joined? I wonder if he will read any of the excellent advice that has been offered. Perhaps he needs to show up again and demonstrate that he is still in the conversation.

CSB

White Belt
Reaction score
"I can't just jump back in like I haven't spent decades behind a desk."
I don't think anyone is suggesting that this should be the case. What I'm seeing said repeatedly and it's a sentiment I agree with, just find a school you like and do "the thing" at the pace you can do it. Any good school should be able to adjust what they're doing to suit the needs for where you are at NOW... and readjust for where you at again later. We've had plenty of heavier students that had taken some time off and found their passion rekindled, like yourself, and found their way to the dojo. A year later they always look like completely different humans. Don't compare yourself to who you were... thats a losing argument for of us humans that age! lol. Work with who you are now and who you'd like to be later. Seriously you can do all that and it doesn't have to be a McDojo... just a school that cares for you and not some kind of inhumane meat grinder meant to remind you of who you aren't. Whichever route you take... I hope you find your path back!

Latest Discussions