Muay Thai Advice For Beginners

OP
Ryeangle

Ryeangle

White Belt
Reaction score
A guy going by that name is a troll who comes here by different names. Spends his time trolling the board, trying to avoid going over the line, and then when he figures out that we know it's him again, he starts making posts encouraging steroid use and talking about coke. Definitely not someone you want to train with.

I'll be swerving him then haha, thanks for the heads up!

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes even experienced guys want to make sure to beginners they know one thing or two.

I don't think one needs to prove its value every time to everyone else. Ideally, the focus should be in improving oneself and partners. But I have seen the same in Muay Thai and other styles. Perhaps because of the sport side, they cannot stop the competion mindset.

I have asked guys to slow down, at times. One thing is fitness, another completely different thing are predictable and stupid injuries / concussions. If they don't understand, I avoid them next time.

Anyway, I hope most of the guys can adapt to your level. Of course it is intimidating starting the school at university, when it is time for nursery - with total respect. Just to say training must be gradual to be efficient.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think one needs to prove its value every time to everyone else. Ideally, the focus should be in improving oneself and partners. But I have seen the same in Muay Thai and other styles. Perhaps because of the sport side, they cannot stop the competion mindset.

Whilst I agree with the basic meaning of this quote, some of the pitfalls, that I experienced, in my younger days, could have been avoided, or the impact lessened, if resources like this forum were around. The experiences and advice given to new and low ranked students (most of the time), can help to avoid some common problems or experiences, purely by being made aware of such things. And if talking about it helps someone, then keep talking about it I say.

Kyokushin_1054

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Mate, it happens to the best of us! I really am not an expert advice giver but I would say, stick your head up and change your mentality. One mentality that worked for me really well was to see everything lying behind the pain. Sometimes I even remember accepting that no matter how hard I trained, I would have to face the same pain during fights, sparring or hard training sessions. The pain never goes away, you just embrace it. Try thinking of it this way and then start moving on to more complex issues. But again, this is a totally natural feeling you are experiencing, do not let it demotivate you.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Such a great thread, for a change.

Everyone started out as a “white belt” (I put that n quotations because some styles don’t use belts, but the principle is the same). How did we learn to take a punch? By getting punched. After a few times, you realize the world’s not going to end and you just carry on. Sure it still hurts, but you don’t get that shocked and panicked feeling after a while. It’s no different than most other things that really scared you at first, then because normal.

Of course you got swept and landed flat on your back. After a few times, you’ll learn to tell when it’s coming and get yourself out of trouble before you get into it. And when you get thrown, you’ll learn how to roll out of it. And when you can’t, the schlock of it all will become practically nonexistent because you’ve been there many times before.

I started out in a bare knuckle karate school that was a kyokushin offshoot. The first time I took a solid kick to my thigh, I thought I was done for the night. Talk about a sting. Luckily my wrestling experience kicked in relatively quickly and I endured. Same thing the first time I took a solid side kick to the stomach. No one laughed, mocked me, thought less of me, etc. Why? They’d all been there, done that before. But I truly didn’t realize it until a while later when I saw enough new people come through and do the same exact thing.

You're going to get discouraged from time to time. You’re going to feel like you’ve got everything down and you’re at the top of your game from time to time. This will ebb and flow. Expect it. Don’t be shocked when you think you’re a badass and someone totally schools you one day, making you doubt everything you’ve previously thought.

Latest Discussions