Noah's ark found

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oxygen is toxic at much less than 300 feet. And frankly, you won't find anybody but a few fools still doing deep dives on air anyway. Trimix is the way to go, and hypoxic trimix is THE thing for deep diving, if you're not rich enough to dive heliox.
Bounce dives are also pretty foolish, which is one reason why the recreational limit is 130 feet. That depth gives a short but reasonable bottom time while staying within the no stop requirement of rec diving. It's also a function of the near-universal adoption of the AL80 (an aluminum cylinder carrying 80 CF of air) as the default tank. Even 130 feet on a single AL80 with an average SAC (Surface Air Consumption) rate is pushing it, since you probably will NOT have enough air in your tank at the end of your bottom time to bring you AND your buddy to the surface without bending (or breaking) the ascent rates.
Nitrogen narcosis is a misnomer. Pretty much all gases cause narcosis to greater or lesser degrees when under pressure, so it's called gas narcosis now. While narcosis CAN be an issue on shallow dives, it's most commonly encountered below 100feet. And there are plenty of people who don't experience it until even deeper. We routinely do mental testing with puzzles (math problems on a slate, opening a combination lock, that sort of thing). I've gone to 155 feet on air (in a no current freshwater cave in Mexico) without being measurably affected. I wouldn't have done THAT dive on air, had it been in cold water or a current. And I'm not one of those fools who is going to do deep diving on air anyway. With the right gas mix, narcosis can be virtually eliminated on much deeper dives, and decompression obligations drastically reduced.

But this is pretty much off topic. The point is that it is not at all difficult to document a claimed 2000 year old find in 200 feet of water. Since it's not documented, I think it's safe to say it doesn't exist.
All I am saying is what they were teaching 40 odd years ago when I got my ticket. What we were taught then was based on the US navy dive tables. If only fools dived to 200' with air, so be it. We obviously were all fools and we (all my friends and associates) all survived the experience. Just because dive recommendations have changed over the past 40 years doesn't change history and the way diving was taught. And, for what it's worth in the early days we didn't have BCDs. Cheers

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
. The point is that it is not at all difficult to document a claimed 2000 year old find in 200 feet of water. Since it's not documented, I think it's safe to say it doesn't exist.

It's not so much about the proof. I don't doubt he found what he says he found. He also found the Solomon columns. What he found is a port dating to King Solomon's time, about 500 years after the Exodus. And it's accepted that the parting occurred right at the start of the Exodus, in the North East of Egypt, essentially crossing from Egypt to the Sinai peninsula.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I am saying is what they were teaching 40 odd years ago when I got my ticket. What we were taught then was based on the US navy dive tables. If only fools dived to 200' with air, so be it. We obviously were all fools and we (all my friends and associates) all survived the experience. Just because dive recommendations have changed over the past 40 years doesn't change history and the way diving was taught. And, for what it's worth in the early days we didn't have BCDs. Cheers

I did say dived, I said dive. Present tense. Once upon a time, we drove cars with no seatbelts, no crush zones and no air bags. Doing so now is stupid. Risks exist. Unnecessary risks are foolish.
Same thing with diving.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not so much about the proof. I don't doubt he found what he says he found. He also found the Solomon columns. What he found is a port dating to King Solomon's time, about 500 years after the Exodus. And it's accepted that the parting occurred right at the start of the Exodus, in the North East of Egypt, essentially crossing from Egypt to the Sinai peninsula.

Yes, it IS about the proof. If you claim to have found something, it's up to you to prove that you've done so.
And no, it most certainly is not accepted. I don't accept that it happened at all, let alone at the time and place claimed.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I only bothered to check this thread because I enjoy DD's posts (always learn something). But my old knees aren't up to wading through the muck to find the answer to this question.

Can someone fill me in, if it's been addressed already: how does this thread not violate the forum rules regarding religious agenda?

Thank you.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I only bothered to check this thread because I enjoy DD's posts (always learn something). But I don't want to wade through the muck to find the answer to this question.

Can someone fill me in, if it's been addressed already: how does this thread not violate the forum rules regarding religious agenda?

Thank you.

Thanks for the opening...

The site Rules discuss religious posting in Section 6, which I'm quoting here in its entirety.

Section 6 : MartialTalk Policy on Religious Tolerance

Religion is an important part of the lives of many of our members, and we believe it is important that people be given the opportunity to express their religious and spiritual beliefs in their online lives. This goes for all faiths, equally.

Our members are welcome to express themselves spiritually in all of our forums here.

At the same time, people must be aware that not everyone will share those same beliefs.

We expect our members to show tolerance of others beliefs in a non-judgmental manner.

Naturally this means that any kind of blatantly excessive religious posting or attempts to convince other people that their religion
(or lack thereof) is wrong simply cannot be allowed. Such posts damage the community at large because they can be disruptive.

Our forums are full of a diverse group of people with many different beliefs, and people must respect that
diversity. To keep things as fair as we can we ask that people not make large numbers of posts of a purely religious nature on non-religious threads.

At the same time, if people see threads that involve individuals praying with each other or otherwise sharing to help each other deal with a difficult situation, please remember that people who choose to share their religious feelings in the context of providing support for others should be given that opportunity (as long as it is not intentionally disruptive to other non-religious threads).

If you don't agree with their beliefs, then simply don't participate.

Some communities solve this "religious tolerance" issue the easy way. They simply ban all cases of religious expression. While we could do this also, it flies in the face of what we are trying to provide here – an open forum for all kinds of dialogue, information and support.

MartialTalk welcomes people of all faiths and does not condone the wholesale condemnation of a faith or the defamatory general characterizations of a faith, based on the actions of a few.

Members are welcome to their opinions however we must insist that they be posted in such a manner as to not condemn an entire group for the negative actions of a few.

Such actions may run afoul of our hate-speech policies and will be dealt with as such.

Please be respectful of your fellow members, who may believe differently than you, yet are still human beings with the right to believe as they do, the same as you and I.

This thread has been reviewed, and is currently within tolerance, pretty much as long as it stays a discussion about the potential proof. If it crosses the line into proselytizing, appropriate action will be taken. If any member is concerned, they're encouraged to report it using the RTM button.

jks9199
MT Assistant Administrator

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I consider myself to be a tolerant Christian, an educated 'believer' if you will, and yet...I can't help but consider that the multiple postings from a source that informs it's readers that critics are Satan's workers and not to be listened to leans towards 'religious agenda'.

But thank you for the reply.

Latest Discussions